Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who does case prep on a 1050 with a separate toolhead w/ trimmer?

Howdy all,

Trying to decide on my 1050 set-up. I have a 650 that I load 9 & 40 on and was going to load .223 with but changed my mind. Sold off the .223 stuff for my 650 and my Super Swager. Decided on going the 1050 route just to load 55 gr bulk ammo for 3 gun and practice. I was just bouncing off some ideas of a guy at Dillon whom I know through hunting in Africa. I doubt he would steer me wrong and he says that having a case prep toolhead for a 1050 would be a PITA since he says the toolheads for a 1050 are a total pain to switch out by yourself. He personally recommends that I just use the 650 for case prep and only load on the 1050. I really don't want to have to switch over the 650 to rifle parts (casefeeder parts, shellplate) and would rather only change the 1050 toolhead once in a blue moon (I have more than enough brass and components to do very, very large runs before changing over).

What say the users of the 1050s out there? I appreciate any honest feedback ot recommendations that you offer up.

Many people, have separate tool heads for case prep - I do, it does not take that long to switch the tool heads

I'm surprised someone from Dillon would say that, unless they just don't know how

Case Prep - the 1050 is King - prep on the 1050 and load on the 650 - is common too

The solution is simple... Just get two 1050's. One for Brass Prep and one for loading :surprise:

Seriously though, it sounds like you answered your own question by mentioning you have a "large" amount of brass. Sounds like you would only have to change the 1050's tool-head out a couple times a year to process brass. Most of time you 1050 would be ready load 223 in smaller batches. If this is the case, I would go for the 1050.

Don't forget a backup swage die for your trim head if you want ultimate convenience.

Don't know why the Dillon guy would say that. I run 223 and 308 on my 1050, both have processing heads and loading heads. The most time I spend changing is from large to small primers systems 223 to 308 including the sweger, about 30 minutes. It is a simple change, and within an hour can be cranking out brass or loaded ammo. I have a trimmer on each processing head and each loading head is ready to rock sans the powder measure.

It may be he was thinking you wanted to change dies and use the same head? That's the only way I would say it is a pain in the...

get the 1050. You wont regret it.

JMHO

jj

Eta: oh yea. I have a 650, all it does is pistol ammo. 9mm, 40, & 45acp.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Thanks for the feedback so far....I could swear I have read online about multiple people using a case prep toolhead on a 1050. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. The guy at Dillon sort of described the toolhead changeover as being almost a 2 person job because of the resistance of the main spring. Due to the amount of brass I have I would definitely prep a metric shit-ton of brass before moving onto loading so my switches would be once in a blue moon. That's how I do my 9 & 40 on my 650 and it works out well for me will the minimum time wasted.

Please keep any other suggestions coming.

The solution is simple... Just get two 1050's. One for Brass Prep and one for loading :surprise:

Seriously though, it sounds like you answered your own question by mentioning you have a "large" amount of brass. Sounds like you would only have to change the 1050's tool-head out a couple times a year to process brass. Most of time you 1050 would be ready load 223 in smaller batches. If this is the case, I would go for the 1050.

Don't forget a backup swage die for your trim head if you want ultimate convenience

what do you mean by this? Thanks for clarifying for me.

Don't forget a backup swage die for your trim head if you want ultimate convenience

what do you mean by this? Thanks for clarifying for me.

With the swage on the Super 1050 you may wish to swage on both the brass prep tool-head and the loading tool-head. So, if you're swaging twice you will need the backup swage die on both heads or move the die each time you change tool heads.

Some people think swaging twice is way to go (basically if the first swage doesn't get out all the crimp, the second swage takes care of it). The alternative is to back out the swaging rod when loading in which case you wouldn't require another die.

Here's a link to the parts: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25631/catid/51/RL1050_Super1050_Swage_Backup_Expander__Rifle

Razorfish....

That's what i thought you might have meant by that. I am planning on keeping the swaging on the loading toolhead and just size and trim on the prep toolhead. Does this sound "right" to you?

Actually, my next purchase is going to be a 550 so I can load my 69gr .223 long range ammo on and maybe some 30-06 down the road now that I have gotten into Garands. Any low volume calibers I will also load on the 550.

I am envisioning prepping a ton of brass on the 1050 once I get that and then I can just grab what I need to load the 69gr stuff on the 550. For now, I have a Hornady trimmer I can use to tide me over,

Razorfish....

That's what i thought you might have meant by that. I am planning on keeping the swaging on the loading toolhead and just size and trim on the prep toolhead. Does this sound "right" to you?

Actually, my next purchase is going to be a 550 so I can load my 69gr .223 long range ammo on and maybe some 30-06 down the road now that I have gotten into Garands. Any low volume calibers I will also load on the 550.

I am envisioning prepping a ton of brass on the 1050 once I get that and then I can just grab what I need to load the 69gr stuff on the 550. For now, I have a Hornady trimmer I can use to tide me over,

I swage on the prep head exclusively and don't recommend swaging on the loading head due to the minor disturbance that happens with swaging. I like my loading head to be as smooth as possible for less spilled powder and fewer priming issues.

Just my thoughts.

I run case-prep (with the trimmer) as a separate pass through a 1050 when I'm FL sizing. Changing out the dies is quick enough that I don't even use a separate toolhead. Changing the toolhead itself is pretty quick (when you don't need to change shell-plate or priming system), so it could save a couple of minutes I suppose, but for me that wouldn't justify the cost of a new toolhead - especally since I'm constantly experimenting and fiddling around with the setup anyway.

Mark, make sure you have the new super 1050 bottom spring cup. They have standardized those now, and dont make two springs. If you have the RL1050 cup in that will make life interesting...LOL.

DougC

Edited by DougCarden

I'm not at all mechanically inclined, yet I figured out how to change toolheads and primer systems pretty easily. It's kinda fun too plus it gives you a chance to clean and lube the machine.

I have 3 toolheads that I share between .45, .223, .308 and .44 as well as the 1200B trimmer when it's time to do a lot of case trimming. No biggie and at $250+ for a 1050 toolhead it's worth it to me over having dedicated for each. Don't be put off by it, or imagine that changing them out is harder than it is!

I guess I take the easy and cheap route. I use the Hornady sure lock die rings. The conversion is just unscrewing the reloading dies and screwing in the case prep dies.

It's easy, quick and works for me!

Swapping toolheads, shellplates and priming systems isn't as bad as people think.

If you just need to swap toolheads and nothing else (to move from case prep to loading the same caliber), it is even easier!

My last session of .223 case prep was 6k pieces.

After that, a good cleaning was in order... so time to swap took heads was irrelevant.

Even if it takes ten minutes longer than the 650, so what? It isn't something you do often. (At least I don't.)

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express