Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 jams

parashooter38

I have a ruger 10/22 with an archangle ar type kit on it that i use in our local steel challenge matches. Every time i change the mag i have a jam. I have down loaded the mag to 24 rds and 23 rds some times but it still happens Any tips as to what i might do to fix this. Thanks

Mags are the most likely culprit. However, improperly seating the barrel in the receiver and improperly tightening the V-block can also cause misfeeds. I would check these as part of your troubleshooting. A little blue loctite is helpful in both areas. There isn't much support for the barrel otherwise.

Also make sure the mag catch in the front and rear of the receiver are free of debris, undamaged, and move freely. Problems in these frequently neglected parts can cause magazines to improperly seat. You already suspect how I discovered this problem ;)

Hope this helps.

-john

Edited to fix autocorrect induced grammar.

Edited by practical_man

Some of the early Ruger hi-cap mags had faulty springs. They wore out within a few loadings. Ruger took care of it but I would have expected better from factory mags.

Are your mags new? Even my factory 10rd'rs need cleaning from time to time.

• 2 months later...

I did this fix to all of my BX25 mags. The link below isn't the original one that I got the idea from. I have done this to five BX25 mags and they all run flawlessly now. I used 22 short brass instead of cutting down 22LR brass. If you do cut down 22LR brass make sure to smooth the edges where you cut. I have a few buddies that did the same mod to their BX25s and it has solved any feed issues for everyone that has done it. Basically by adding the brass to the spindle it takes the slack from between the spindle and follower so the rounds can't tilt at a bad angle.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=11&t=401613