Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazines in California. Ridiculous.

jkimsc

Just picked up my second glock (G34) and it came with two 17-round factory magazines, with a block inserted into the bottom and the baseplate welded shut. ??? This is ridiculous. My previous glock (a G17, also purchased in CA) came with two factory 10-round magazines. Once again, the cost of living in CA.

It's pretty annoying that the spring in the 'altered' magazines is so tight now, since the block in the bottom of the magazine is pushing up against it. So loading 10 rounds is actually pretty tough. And then there's the question of how would you clean this mag? It's welded shut from the bottom. lol. *sigh* California... gotta love it.

Has anyone experienced this, as well? Can I just exchange these for 2 factory 10-round magazines somewhere?

Dude, that sucks horribly. I would be pissed that they would screw with my product like that. Does the mag come altered like that from the Glock factory or is it something your shop has to do to be able to sell the pistol? Either way, ridiculous. I would just order the mags you want online. What are they really going to do? I'm sure there is tons of competitors in ca that use high cap mags.

The bottom of the magazine (where the button is) looks to be melted and there's a visible (plastic?) block in the inside of the magazine. When I purchased my G17, they gave me two factory 10-rounders (which I can accept - well, since I really don't have a choice). But this time around, I went to a different store, and these guys gave me these altered 17-round magazines. It makes no sense to me to do this. When I asked if I could exchange these for CA 10-round factory mags, the owner simply said, "I don't have any, and even if I did, I can't exchange them for yours, what am I gonna do with those? I can't resell them."

Needless to say... won't be going back to that store for future purchases.

So no one's dealt with this before? Would Glock exchange these mags for CA 10-round mags?

How did they weld the plastic?

Not as hard as you think to weld plastic. There are several methods, butt fussion is used for pipe and uses a heating plate to heat each piece of pipe, after removing the plate the pipe is brought together under pressure and held until cooled. Other method is hot air or hot gas, looks like an over sized soldering iron with either an intenal fan and heating element or an external source for the air/gas. A "welding rod" is heated and fed by hand pressure into the base material. Less common and more expensive method for joining pipe is electro-fusion that uses a coupling with each end of the pipe inserted into the coupling. The coupling has windings molded into it and the coupling is connected to a fusion device and a current applied that heats the windings and fuses the pipe to the coupling.

As for the mags with the welded base I'd suspect the joint could be seperated with a utility knife. Base plates could be replced if damaged. I'd like to see a photo of the welded mags.

That sounds like the shop you purchased from sold you a a G34 that was either a law enforcement gun (blue label) or one that wasn't meant to be sold in CA. If they won't provide you with "correct" 10 round mags, you could try contacting Glock in Smyrna, GA. Tell them your story and see if they'll exchange your bubba'd mags for some 10-rounders. Maybe the idea will show them how they can start selling the full product line in NY again. I've heard they won't ship anything but the G36 and G39 to NY currently due to the new 7-round magazine law.

This is common in CA. A CA FFLs options are slim with standard mags. Namely, they can convert them, or not give them to you. If they did not tell you up front you got bastardized mags instead of 10 rds (which are crap also) then I would avoid them. Not all CA FFLs are allowed to possess standard mags either.

Did you buy this in person? Or order it online?

Edited by feederic

...these mags were modified by the dealer, certainly not Glock and most likely done so because 10 round factory mags have become hard to find as of late.

As far as Glocks shipping only G36's and G39's to NYS that's not correct. We can get the full Glock line sent here with 10 round magazines shipped with the pistol. The 7 round rule only applies to the number of rounds you can load into a magazine for CCW and home defense purposes. Range use allows for a 10 round capacity in the magazine.

Magblocks makes a plastic limiter that allows only 10 rounds into a standard capacity magazine. You would insert the limiter and use the supplied epoxy to glue the base pad on the magazine to render the magazine legal and meet the requirements of the magazine "not being readily convertable back to its standard capacity."

If the base pad pin is "melted" as a way to install the block and make the installation permanent....whoever provided you with these mags is a certified hack.

Edited by Chuck D