Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloaded rounds not fitting the case gauge.

cassidy

Just reloaded a batch of 100, 40 caliber rounds on a Dillon 650. Once completed I checked all of them with a case gauge and 32 rounds did not seat all the way in. During the reloading I made sure the handle traveled the full distance up/down. I'm new to reloading so any suggestion would help.

The brass is once fired from a glock, and I have heard of problems with case bulge, so I'm not sure if that's an issue.

Check this thread also - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182667&hl=

Check some of your resized cases (not loaded), if they gauge it is a bullet/ crimp/ straightness issue. If they do not it may be a glocked brass issue or a die issue if so the Lee U-die or a push thru die like the Redding die or a CasePro may help (case pro is expensive though).

Resizing/decapping die should be installed while the reloading press's ram is up. You should turn it in till it's touching the shell plate then back it off a hair, just enough so a thin sheet of paper can barely slide between the die and the shell plate. Run some brass through the sizing die and case check that brass. It should fit. If it does then you have a crimp issue or a bullet issue ( Not enough crimp, or bullets are too big in diameter.) If the resized brass doesn't fit then you have a brass issue. The Lee U die, http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersized-reloading-dies/ may help. It would help if you provided more info like what make of bullets you are using also. A picture of the rounds that won't case gauge would help too.

Edited by Red Ryder

I read another post where by using mixed brass its possible to have varying OAL. I checked the 32 rounds and they all are generally .010 longer, however they stick out of the case gauge .070, so that could be one issue. when I flip the round in the case gauge to fit in, so it appears the brass is straight on both ends. I am already loading a longer round at 1.135, so how long is two long. The 32 rounds that wont fit range from 1.143 to 1.148.

- I'm using all Dillon parts, I checked the brass after stage one on the press and it fit the case gauge fine, again the brass is mixed once fired from glock and the bullets are precision delta 200gr.

I read another post where by using mixed brass its possible to have varying OAL. I checked the 32 rounds and they all are generally .010 longer, however they stick out of the case gauge .070, so that could be one issue. when I flip the round in the case gauge to fit in, so it appears the brass is straight on both ends. I am already loading a longer round at 1.135, so how long is two long. The 32 rounds that wont fit range from 1.143 to 1.148.

- I'm using all Dillon parts, I checked the brass after stage one on the press and it fit the case gauge fine, again the brass is mixed once fired from glock and the bullets are precision delta 200gr.

If the sized brass fits in the case gauge just fine, then you have a crimp issue or a bullet issue. OR some case gauges in 40 are short and don't accommodate longer 40 bullets. Measure the case with a micrometer just before the bullet and make sure your crimp is acceptable, like .421. I don't load 40 so read your reloading book to see what acceptable 40 crimp is.

Guess what? I do have a borrowed Infinity 40 Limited gun with a coffee can full of ammo. I just did some quick measurements. Lead flat point bullets 1.180 Long with a 0.421-0.422 crimp, and.............. They don't fit all the way into my EGW case gauge. ( I have a EGW multi caliber case gauge). They stick out of the gauge just below the rim. Damn!

* I think you are good to go! * If you are worried about it, use your barrel as a case gauge. They should drop freely into the barrel and you should be able to spin them freely without the bullet engaging the rifling of the barrel!

Edited by Red Ryder

If the sized brass fits in the case gauge just fine, then you have a crimp issue or a bullet issue. OR some case gauges in 40 are short and don't accommodate longer 40 bullets. Measure the case with a micrometer just before the bullet and make sure your crimp is acceptable, like .421. I don't load 40 so read your reloading book to see what acceptable 40 crimp is.

Guess what? I do have a borrowed Infinity 40 Limited gun with a coffee can full of ammo. I just did some quick measurements. Lead flat point bullets 1.180 Long with a 0.421-0.422 crimp, and.............. They don't fit all the way into my EGW case gauge. ( I have a EGW multi caliber case gauge). They stick out of the gauge just below the rim. Damn!

* I think you are good to go! * If you are worried about it, use your barrel as a case gauge. They should drop freely into the barrel and you should be able to spin them freely without the bullet engaging the rifling of the barrel!

See post #2 above...

See post #2 above...

Show off. Rub it in Marvin.

Edited by Red Ryder

No to high jack your thread but I have 40 rounds that drop in my Lyman case gage but don't plunk in my Barsto barrel. From what I see bullets sre a little crooked found this by using high spot blue in chamber. Im using rcbs seating die just got a hornady seater to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

No to high jack your thread but I have 40 rounds that drop in my Lyman case gage but don't plunk in my Barsto barrel. From what I see bullets sre a little crooked found this by using high spot blue in chamber. Im using rcbs seating die just got a hornady seater to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I recently (yesterday) had my first crooked bullet. I am not sure why but the bullet seated a little off center and would not case gauge. First one in 25,000+ reloaded rounds. It passed through my mind, but I don't think this was Cassidy's problem. But he should take note of the possibility.

The words above GrumpyOne's photo translates to " A word to the wise is annoying ". Just incase you wanted to know.

Since meeting the Grumpyone a few years ago a I've suspected he's CIA, but I'll keep that to myself. He sandbags his shooting so as to not arouse suspicion.

Anyhow, he's an experienced and knowledgeable hand loader.

Since meeting the Grumpyone a few years ago a I've suspected he's CIA, but I'll keep that to myself. He sandbags his shooting so as to not arouse suspicion.

I won't argue the experienced and knowledgeable loader part, but a word to the wise, I wouldn't use the word "sandbagging" to Grumpy. ;)

Edited by Youngeyes

The words above GrumpyOne's photo translates to " A word to the wise is annoying ". Just incase you wanted to know.

I've been lurking on this forum for 4 years now and have personally experienced the frank sarcasm he exhibits. I like his style with words. I do pay attention to what he says and I have surmised that he must be a finely skilled hand loader. But I was thinking more NSA than CIA!

I've been lurking on this forum for 4 years now and have personally experienced the frank sarcasm he exhibits. I like his style with words. I do pay attention to what he says and I have surmised that he must be a finely skilled hand loader. But I was thinking more NSA than CIA!

You guys jest....but I have done work for the NSA...

Just reloaded a batch of 100, 40 caliber rounds on a Dillon 650. Once completed I checked all of them with a case gauge and 32 rounds did not seat all the way in. During the reloading I made sure the handle traveled the full distance up/down. I'm new to reloading so any suggestion would help.

The brass is once fired from a glock, and I have heard of problems with case bulge, so I'm not sure if that's an issue.

I am using LEE U-Die for my decapping/ sizer die and works perfect. but I still use a case gage just to make sure. I only use my barrel if my rounds doesn't go all the way or doesn't fit the case gauge. but even if it will fit the barrel I still separate it for practice.

By the way i use Dillon and EGW case gauge

Edited by PinoyShooter06

I am using LEE U-Die for my decapping/ sizer die and works perfect. but I still use a case gage just to make sure. I only use my barrel if my rounds doesn't go all the way or doesn't fit the case gauge. but even if it will fit the barrel I still separate it for practice.

By the way i use Dillon and EGW case gauge

This is exactly my practice!