Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS 40 feed issues with certain bullet profiles

Philo_Beddoe

Has anyone else noticed their TS 40 has issues with feeding bullets that have a more "angular" profile?

Mine feeds bullets with more rounded profiles fine, but chokes bad on certain angular profiles. For instance Tula 170 gr FMJ bullets

do not feed reliabily in my TS, but feed 100% in my G35.

post-24047-0-65390400-1380776354_thumb.j

Where as federal 180gr FMJ is 100% in the TS

post-24047-0-24159100-1380776364_thumb.j

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

I noticed some feeding issues with truncated cone style bullets. Had some Fiocchi ball ammo that darn near refused to feed. After a quite a bit of polishing the feed ramp and chamber most of the stoppages went away. Also, started running a CZ Custom steel guide rod after the factory plastic rod got chewed up pretty badly (suspect the plastic guide rod was contributing to the stoppages).

I noticed some feeding issues with truncated cone style bullets. Had some Fiocchi ball ammo that darn near refused to feed. After a quite a bit of polishing the feed ramp and chamber most of the stoppages went away. Also, started running a CZ Custom steel guide rod after the factory plastic rod got chewed up pretty badly (suspect the plastic guide rod was contributing to the stoppages).

Was your plastic guide rod installed TS feeding other ammo besides the Fiocchi ball?

It seems Truncated bullet (conical with a flat nose) is the correct terminology for the bullets that do not feed well, where as Flat nose bullets (flattened tip at right angles to its axis) is the correct terminology for the bullets that do feed.

http://www.nij.gov/training/firearms-training/module10/fir_m10_t06_09_c.htm

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

Was your plastic guide rod installed TS feeding other ammo besides the Fiocchi ball?

Yep, the Fiocchi 170's were simply the worst offender. Other 180gr bullets would FTF on occassion.

165gr Ranier HP's in my reloads feed well with the polish job and steel guide rod.

Edited by Middle Man

Yep, the Fiocchi 170's were simply the worst offender. Other 180gr bullets would FTF on occassion.

165gr Ranier HP's in my reloads feed well with the polish job and steel guide rod.

What would you estimate the malfunction rate is for the Fiocchi 170's after the steel guide rod and polish job?

Have you seen the ramp of your TS?

It is very high-angled.

Take a look if it is really well polished and if there is a little edge between ramp and chamber (seems so sometimes).

I have read elsewhere, that feeding problems end, when you remove the buffer, but haven´t tried it till now.

I do have feeding problems with the Frontier 180gr. RNFP.

Edited by jayjay1

You guys are still running the buffer?

No, I ditched mine almost immediately. I started this thread to simply see if other TS 40 owners have had feed issues with truncated bullets and if they were able to resolve them.

I am a bit skeptical with the polishing of the feed ramp solution being suggested. If an unpolished feed ramp is the reason my TS wont feed truncated bullets, why do the flat nose bullets feed fine?

I like the trigger, accuracy, and ergonomics of the TS, but find its inability to feed truncated bullets sort of annoying as I prefer firearms that will run a wide range of loads.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

You guys are still running the buffer?

No

I posted this in the EAA forum and I'd like to hear what you guys think as well:

I'm curious: are all these 10mms set up in such a way that the slide impacts the frame at it's rearmost travel? or does the recoil spring stop the rearward travel? That would certainly effect how the brass ejects.

I've heard that the slide is designed to impact the frame and that coil bind on the recoil spring drastically reduces spring life, but I also know there are a lot of shooters out there (especially 2011/1911 shooters) using shock buffs which wouldn't do anything if their slides were stopping on the frame. My TS came with factory sock buffers which did induce coil bind, but also shortened the stroke to the point that it wouldn't cycle properly; without the buffs it works fine, but I'm not completely out on the idea of shock buffers.

Thoughts?

I've been temped to cut a coil or two off my recoil spring to make it so the spring goes solid, then compresses the buffer ever so slightly until the slide hits the frame although I've had so many other projects going on I haven't messed with it.

Tossed the buffer after a few hundred rounds...

Been a few years since I had the Fiocchi 170gr ammo...don't know if I even have any left. Best I can remember, they were a box full of fail so I moved on to a different ammo. Purchased a 650 not long after and have run the 165gr Raniers in both the TS and an SVI.