Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK 91 fluted chamber and brass run thru it

johnnybravo

Question on this: When you fire rounds thru the 308 HK 91 and they come out with the striped appearance, are these casing still reloadable, or should they be destined for the recycle bin?

I remember years a go having a discussion about this elsewhere, but it's been so long ago...... don't remember what was said.

Thanks,

John B

Many will say they are ruined but I have had my HK91 since the 80's and reload for it. The cases will resize normally and can be reloaded normally. Only thing I have found is that they are harder to get totally clean unless you really work them. I woudl gess the newer ss pin cleaning woudl work well on the brass but I just use the regular media.

To test/debunk the myth that you can can't reload the cases I took a small batch of WIn white box (WCC cases) brass that had originally been fired in my rifle. I proceeded to shoot and reload the batch of brass with a standard 147/150 gr ball shooting load. I stopped reloading the cases at the 7x mark because they were getting pretty beat up. The case itself was OK still but I found the case head was gettting beat up badly. The HK rifle has a robust ejector and it puts a good sized dent on the case head. After being fired those 7x the head was getting trashed.

Neal in AZ

I will also confirm that they can be reloaded just fine. The biggest issue that I encountered was related to actually recovering the cases after the "robust" ejection. I've had fine luck with brass from my HK91 and PTR91 as well. Maybe steer clear of the very hottest loads, perfectly fine at moderate levels.

Many will say they are ruined but I have had my HK91 since the 80's and reload for it. The cases will resize normally and can be reloaded normally. Only thing I have found is that they are harder to get totally clean unless you really work them. I woudl gess the newer ss pin cleaning woudl work well on the brass but I just use the regular media.

Neal in AZ

Here is some 9mm brass I collected from my HK94 with the fluting stripes:

IMAG0642.jpg

and here the same brass after cleaning with the wet tumbling stainless media:

IMAG0645.jpg

It's crazy how nice the brass looks after it's washed!

The brass from my P7M13 cleans up much nicer than the rifle. I picked up some 10mm from the local FBI MP5's and it cleaned up better then the rifle but not as good as the 9mm.

The thing about the rifle brass is it is just going to get it dirty again so as long as it is clean I don't try too hard. :goof:

Neal in AZ

Neal in AZ

Here is some 9mm brass I collected from my HK94 with the fluting stripes:

IMAG0642.jpg

and here the same brass after cleaning with the wet tumbling stainless media:

IMAG0645.jpg

It's crazy how nice the brass looks after it's washed!

you care to share how you clean your brass, wow....

Lortone are very good !! The QT-12 is a good one.

http://www.lortone.com/midsize_tumblers.html

Thanks for the link, those look nice, kinda nice to see what your other options are. I know some people who have used the ultra sonic cleaner with success, but the lortone looks a lot more robust. Anyways sorry for the thread drift.

you care to share how you clean your brass, wow....

I would say he probably wet tumbles with stainless media to get um looking that pretty.

I guess I set myself up for that one....

Where do you get a wet tumbler?

I use the "high speed thumblers tumbler" for small batches of brass (2-3lbs).

For large batches (3-22lbs) I have a large tumbler that uses PVC drums.

http://biggdawgtumblers.net/