Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi Cup

Alan550

I just got one of the saddest e-mails in my life. John Cameron, last year's Senior winner at the Cup, has gone back to NZ after several years living and working here in the States. The latest is that he has pancreatic cancer and about 3 months to live. It has spread to lymph nodes and he's decided to forego chemo as it would only add about a month to his life expectancy.

It has been my privilege to know him and his lovely wife during part of their time here, and it grieves me very much for all of us in AP to lose such a fine person and a great shooter.

That's all I know to say. It's kinda hard to see the 'puter screen at the moment.

FYI

Alan~^~ :(

Dammit.

John is one helluva guy. He's one of the most pleasant people I've ever met and has given my tons of advice (with very few words, mind you) about AP. Please pass along my regards if you come into contact with him and wish him well.

Although I do not know John well, the few conversations I've had with him are memorable. He is one of the most humble and gracious competitiors that I have had the pleasure of competing with. And he can make a wheelgun sing!!

John, all of our prayers go with you and your family.

John is one of those Gems that you find in life that you can only meet once and never forget your conversation with him. I had the pleasure of having more than a few chats with him and he always left a lasting impression on me.

He and I were running neck and neck at a few matches and he was always offering me advice on how to do better. You couldn't find a more fierce competitor and a perfect gentleman at the same time. He and I were shooting the Barricade event at the MS regional this year and I fired 6 shots on his target by mistake. I felt like an absolute idiot and John just told me not to worry about it and took it in stride.

John, you and your family are in all our thoughts and prayers.

God Bless.

Kevin Angstadt

For some reason I have heard Bianchi calling me back lately and I cant figure out why. I am returning full circle to where I started, and I think mostly because I miss my friends. The Cup, and the Regionals here in Winimac will never be the same without John. Seeing him, Karl, Ian, Roger and all the others from NZ is a true gift. They all bring so much to the sport it saddens me to think of a major match without any one of them. I was fortunate to spend a few occasions running the mover for them in the pouring rain and listen to them banter back and forth as if it was the most beautiful day in history. Whenever they came to visit they treated us as if we were lords over all creation when in fact we were all so tickled that they would venture this far just to shoot with some rednecks. But, less we all forget, he is still fighting. Hopefully God will allow John to stay with us a while longer that we might all get to shoot another match with him. The thoughts and prayers from all of us in my home will be with the Cameron's.

Mike Elzinga

This is truly saddening news.

John is a fantastic fellow, I've spent many enjoyable years with him in Winamac and at the 'Cup and I know him to be a fine competitor and gentleman. It's always been a pleasure to be with him and "mumsy" at the matches. The stories they've told and the laughter we've shared will remain forever.

John, knuckle down you old goat and get yourself well, we'll drink a beer together in MO.

James Broughton

Alan,

That's a damn shame. I only met John at this years cup but spent a lot of time talking to him and his crew. John is a bonifide hoot to talk to. He is a very likeable guy. I knew from the first time we spoke that he was my type of guy. Very down to earth and plain spoken. He was the first person I met when I got to the cup this year.

I will be praying for him. I can understand his decission about the kemo treatments. I'll be damned if I would go through that treatment under his circumstances.

Dirty Steve, Out.

my home club was at auckland when i first grapped pistol and it was a pleasure to have johns company over many years, he was certainly a legend in NZ deer shooting and on the pistol range, plenty of friends and respect, a straight talker for sure....

ive missed his company for many years since he moved to the states but when i visited it wasnt a surpise to see the friends & good life he had in the states

be i big loss to so many

brentm

I'm for renaming it the "JOHN CAMERON CUP" and want John to be there to kick it off the next decade or two!

We have heard others speak of John and his gentlemanly ways of competing. Hell, just ask John he had a fisherman's approach to shooting. He was there to shoot and have fun. If he shot well that was simply a bonus! John was "bonused" alot.

John is credited with saying that at one time when facing a near death experience that he wanted to live to be a good father to his children and husband to his wife. Lyn. I don't know about you guys, but to have had a Dad like John Cameron would be some awesome child's (or adult childs) dream. He is strong like the grizzly, resembles one a little. Yet gentle like Santa and he resembles him too. Go figure.

Ever shake Johns hand? He reminded me of how lions, tigers, Crocs and similar animals pick up their young in their mouths but have the strength to crush steel. John has the strength of a hydraulic press, with the precision of tweezers. Strong as an elephant, gentle as a lamb. When I grow up I want to be like John Cameron.

John Cameron, like the soldier called upon by the General will serve and fulfill any mission. When Generals learn of spectacular soldiers, they try to get them in their unit. When called by GOD to serve, John will serve and fulfill those demands as no one else could. If GOD is reading this forum. We know if GOD is a shooter, then he certainly is an AP shooter.

"GOD, please leave John with us, as we need and want him here to give us strength, comfort and to show us the way. However, we also know that if you, GOD, need a Gentle Giant, then a John Cameron type is hard to find." AMEN

GOD BLESS John and Lyn Cameron.

Martin

the great maui

Ive known john for many years, he,s coached me and been my best friend, and theres one one thing ive learned from john is, the meaning of friendship,and how valuble it is, you will always be in our families hearts, and when i see you upstairs,we will get the guns out ,and shoot for a beer a match.

and remember (youth and skill, should ??? win over old age and treachery)on that note anybody that knows me.knows that i have lost alot of beers to my mate, john

love karl ann and the kids.

Hi You Guys

As maui says it's us 'young' guys that keep john in beers and yes mike i can remember shooting the mover in the pouring rain and that was for beers. the spectators (karl & john) nominated where you had to shoot ie 'shoot an eight at 5 o'clock' failure ment a round of beers. we divvied up at the end of the day and yes john got the beers most times.

John has taught me a lot over the years and not all about shooting. He has taught me how to let other peoples jibes and remarks wash over you and not to get riled up. Not that he won't stand firm on something that he truly believes in, as people have seen and heard in the not to distant past. I will probably see him this weekend coming and I will give him you guys regards.

Ian Coates

Ian,

Please send John our bests from everyone here Brent, Phil, Bob, and all the others are saddened and will keep John and you all in our prayers. And yes, I vividly recall the "good solid 5's". Great to hear from you again, I hope we get to see you all again in 05

we just finished our kiwi cup in hamilton this weekend, it was a real pleasure to see john there, bigger pleasure to see him shooting with us too. just looks a little older (dont we all!!)

plenty of chattn about old times, starnge how time can past so quick but things only seem like yesterday.

well was good to see him again

brentm

• 1 month later...

Hi this is Mumsie other wise known as Lyn. Also the person who can't spell her husband's last name! (see the q where it's not meant to be). Can't figure how to correct it. Darn fingers hit the wrong keys.

I want to thank you for all the great things you have written about John and also for your prayers.

We are at present at the beach house/bach with our youngest son Hud, daughter-in-law Vanessa and grandaughter Anya.

John has his good days and not so good. He's lying down resting as I write. He was very very touched by your comments as were we all. We have met so many wonderful people involved with AP.

God Bless you all and Happy New Year.

Lyn

Theres a club in eather Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois that has a Bianchi Match just before the big match in May. ( as you can till, I know a lot about it ) Does any one else know more that I do about it and can help me out. I will not be able to go to Columbia this year, but may be able to hit the other match.

Gene

We have been doing the IN state match the sunday before Bianchi for the 5 years I have been there, and if I recall correctly, it has been that way for the about 15 years before I showed up.

Gene~ The club is the Jefferson Township Rifle and Pistol Club, but it is better known as "Rienholt's" after the owners. It is located way out in the sticks off the corner of SR 39 and SR 14. Usually starts about 10 a.m. or so. I'll try to post a better notice closer to match day, when everything is finalized.

Theres a club in eather Ohio, Indiana, or Illinois that has a Bianchi Match just before the big match in May. ( as you can till, I know a lot about it )  Does any one else know more that I do about it and can help me out.  I will not be able to go to Columbia this year, but may be able to hit the other match.

Gene

Gene, Are you Gene Sutton from the land of Dougie? If so Hi, if not welcome anyway.

Actually there are two matches in that area. The REINHOLT MUG Match is the weekend immediately prior to Bianchi. The Club I believe is that "Jefferson Township" that someone else mentioned, I only know it as REINHOLTS. Jim is a tremendous guy, and has put this match on for years, as well as a REGIONAL from time to time Labor Day weekend.

Jim Reinholt reinholt@wc.ffni.com

8747 W 100 N

Winamac, IN 46996

Also, in the same general area is the Wildcat Valley Match near Lafayette, IN I believe they hold monthly matches. www.wvrpc.org

Martin

GM,

If your coming over from NZ start in Virginia. There's a match in Bedford the 2nd Sat. then Bluefield the next week then Hinton, WV the next and hopefully Winamac will be the next day and then your on your way to the warm up match on Monday. There is also a match in Hinton on April 30th if you get here early.

There is usually a match in southern MO on the 21st but I can't remember the town. Kansas City also has matches but I don't get their schedule.

If you can make it, come on over.

Kevin

Hi Martin,

Yes, it I, the one and only Gene Sutton. Randy & Doug will be running a few Matches in the spring at Topton also in 2005. But like I said, I will not be able to go to the Cup, so I was looking for something else beside Central Jersey to shoot this summer. I have your e-mail address, so I will let you know what is going on around here. CJ will be shooting the First SATURDAY this year due to a new steel leage. Gene

• 3 months later...
Hi this is Mumsie other wise known as Lyn. Also the person who can't spell her husband's last name! (see the q where it's not meant to be).  Can't figure how to correct it.  Darn fingers hit the wrong keys.

I want to thank you for all the great things you have written about John and also for your prayers.

We are at present at the beach house/bach with our youngest son Hud, daughter-in-law Vanessa and grandaughter Anya.

John has his good days and not so good.  He's lying down resting as I write.  He was very very touched by your comments as were we all.  We have met so many wonderful people involved with AP.

God Bless you all and Happy New Year.

Lyn

Lyn, Karl, Ian and others,

Could you say hi to John for me. Tell him I plan to dedicate "192 tens" to him over a few days in Missouri come late May.

Martin

p.s. Also tell him 192 tens at Reinholts too!

mailto:asubmoa@sbcglobal.net

Springfield (Billings), Mo. has a match on the 15th of this month. Andrew Barksdale is the contact. Address above. A number of you know Andrew and Faye. Their range is about 3.5 hrs. SW of Columbia, Mo.

Sammy and I (Dan) look forward to seeing you all at the Cup practice range. We'll have the grass cut shorter on the Practical.

God Bless and Keep John, Lyn and Family. We miss having them in Columbia. John and family are good close friends and I'm truly a better person from having known them. I'm happy they are HOME at this time in their lives.

Dan

I have just got off the phone with John. He is in good spirits and the doctors are still making plans for him to have this and that done over the next two or three weeks. He says "as long the doctors says at the end of the visit 'see you next week' he figures he is not done yet."

Hard to keep a good man down.

See you soon.