Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

problems removing STI c-more mount, help:)

DrLove

folks, so I bought a new 90deg mount for my Trubor. Now the fun part, trying to remove the STI mount, I got 4 screws out. The fifth is stuck and probably stripped already. Any idea how can I get it out to install the new mount?? Any help would be appreciated..

thx..

Several ways to do it if you have the right tools.

A heat source (pencil torch) to breakdown the loctite will help a ton.

1. Heat up the screw to breakdown the loctite. Utilize a screw extractor and remove the screw.

2. If you don't mind buggering up the mount use a dremel with a cut off wheel to make a slot in the screw head. Heat up the screw and use a flat blade screwdriver to loosen the screw.

When removing mount screws with loctite, it helps to break one screw loose and retighten it until all screws have been relieved of the red loctite. That should prevent the last screw from having all the tension the other screws were sharing.

Several ways to do it if you have the right tools.

A heat source (pencil torch) to breakdown the loctite will help a ton.

1. Heat up the screw to breakdown the loctite. Utilize a screw extractor and remove the screw.

2. If you don't mind buggering up the mount use a dremel with a cut off wheel to make a slot in the screw head. Heat up the screw and use a flat blade screwdriver to loosen the screw.

When removing mount screws with loctite, it helps to break one screw loose and retighten it until all screws have been relieved of the red loctite. That should prevent the last screw from having all the tension the other screws were sharing.

+1 I would use the heat method, but be sure to take your grips off. :P

If you check to see if its loose all the time you don't need to put the locktite back on if that dosent sound like you use the locktite. The blue stuff is made to be non permanent if you want to try that. But my best suggestion is get the best Allen keys you can find. Bits from a gunsmithing supplyer might be a good bet.

thanks everyone, I got it out. Now another question :). Do I really need to use loctite for the new mount?

Short answer, yes.

You do not need red loctite. The blue works IF, you clean the screws, clean the holes, and let the gun sit for a day after setting the screws. Mine hold for thousands of rounds. Easy to remove if needed.

Use RED Loctite! If you don't use it and decide to check the screws for looseness you run the risk of moving metal in the thin area of the frame every time you tweak the screws. Move that metal enough and the threads go away, then it's time for a pricey repair. It's not that hard to soften the RED Loctite when time comes to pull the mount off and you won't be removing it very often so do it right the first time. RED Loctite!

Use the blue Loctite for the screws that mount the C-More to the mount as you can't use any heat to soften the Loctite or you will damage the C-More.

Pat

Hello: Having had a C-More mount come lose at 2 matches you must use red Loc Tite. I had the back screw come lose at this years nationals and that moved the point of impact over 6" to the left. I tightened it back up for day 3 and it was back on zero. If you can get a 5-40 tap to clean the threads it will help. I had my gun ceracoated and that has caused me problems with the screws staying tight. It is slippery stuff. I cleaned the threads now with the tap and will buy a fresh bottle of Loc Tite with new Torx head screws. That should solve the problem. I use Blue on the C-more to mount screws. Never had them come lose. Thanks, Eric