Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any tips on how to get the front sight off that has a stripped screw?

dlouie87

Is the hexagon striped or the thread striped? Do you have a proper front sight removal tool? I would put a small torch on it to soften the metal

The hex is stripped. I would like to take it off and find a replacement for it as well.

Drill it out.

+1, drill through the center of hex head, it is very thin. Pop the hex head off, then knock out the front sight with a punch from the underside. Won't be able to save the front sight though. If you want to try and save the front sight, heat from the underside with a lighter or torch to break any loctite/adhesive, then place a piece of tissue over the hex and try turning it, you get enough tension to loosen it and warren sells replacement screws. If it doesn't grip, drill it.

Drill it out.

+1, drill through the center of hex head, it is very thin. Pop the hex head off, then knock out the front sight with a punch from the underside. Won't be able to save the front sight though. If you want to try and save the front sight, heat from the underside with a lighter or torch to break any loctite/adhesive, then place a piece of tissue over the hex and try turning it, you get enough tension to loosen it and warren sells replacement screws. If it doesn't grip, drill it.

Will try this. Thanks everyone!

Small creset wrench or vise grips on the sight and twist the sight off. Quick and effective, down side is everything is trash when you're finished.

I recovered a stripped allen head by using a dab of jb weld on an allen wrench and sticking it in the stripped bolt and letting it dry/harden. Then i just twisted it out and inserted a new one.

I like that. I'll have to remember that for the future. I tend to strip allens on a daily basis it seems.

Small creset wrench or vise grips on the sight and twist the sight off. Quick and effective, down side is everything is trash when you're finished.

Did this with a factory front sight with no damage to the frame and it felt good. Can't speak to the aftermarket.

I recovered a stripped allen head by using a dab of jb weld on an allen wrench and sticking it in the stripped bolt and letting it dry/harden. Then i just twisted it out and inserted a new one.

Like that idea. I'll add it to my nice to know but hope I don't need it file.

• 2 weeks later...

Look on Brownells and search Warren sights, they sell a five pack for 10, and 2 pack for 5. Check with a local glock armorer or police gun supply, they may have some burned out sights you can scavenge a front sight screw.