Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strikes After FSS Install

johnny1gun

I just installed the Apex FSS. In my M&P Pro9. I am now having light primer strikes. Did not have them b4 I installed. It has a bran new stock striker assembly in it. I have taken all the comp. springs off and only have the FSS springs and it still is having light strikes. Im pretty good at trouble shooting this stuff. But cant put my finger on this.Also just installed a KKM barrel.

You might consider that the striker block is contacting the striker. When I installed my FSS in a CORE, I had to tweak the trigger bar's sear loop a bit. I opened it up some to get the trigger to release earlier in the pull, but the striker block was not going up high enough on a slow pull to let the striker go every time. It would work fine if I yanked the trigger back, but if I slowly pulled, it was light, or non-existent.

Close the loop a bit, but be wary that you are also delaying the release point, and eventually may make the sear not move enough to fire. Took a few tries to get the sweet spot.

MampP_Set.jpgSearPusher.jpg

Dave

Apex did redesign the USB to fix a timing problem and prevent contact with the striker. The new FSS USB is domed vs. the original which was flat. If you have the flat USB call Apex and they will replace it. If you have the domed USB and you have tweaked the loop and the striker is still peening, call Apex.

Apex did redesign the USB to fix a timing problem and prevent contact with the striker. The new FSS USB is domed vs. the original which was flat. If you have the flat USB call Apex and they will replace it. If you have the domed USB and you have tweaked the loop and the striker is still peening, call Apex.

It happens with both USB's. I don't think it's necessarily from the striker releasing on the trigger break. I'm thinking it might actually be after the trigger bar resets and the slide is still moving, that the striker bounces around and hits the USB. I haven't shot enough rounds through my regular M&P to see if it happens on stock ones yet or not.

This has been one hell of a journey with this gun the last few weeks. The frustration level was at a 10. This is going to be long. Sorry Im no word smith, just a ordinary crane operator.I have had my m&p since 2010. It has worked flawlessly until right around 8 to 10,000 rounds.First I changed out the old sear block so I could have the bigger sear plunger for the FSS I was buying in the near future. Then the front sight drifted and bought a new front. Tried to drift the rear sight and could not get the screw out. Drilled it out bought a new sight. Started missing shots I thought I called (with the new sights). Stuck it on a bag at 20 yards and it was all over the place. Even had a shot miss the target completely. Got a KKM shot around 70 rounds and got it sighted in pretty good. Can get 10 shots in the a zone now from 20 yards. Shot a match today and it did pretty good. Hear is where I wanted to throw the gun very,very far away from me. I have wanted to get a FSS since b4 they came out, started shooting SS and forgot about it, until I started shooting it again the last couple months. Put FSS in Thursday evening and for the next 4 hours took that thing apart more times than I can count and tried every spring combination I could to stop the light primer strikes witch were 3 out of every 5 rounds. It got dark. Woke up next morning cuz I thought of stuff while laying in bed stewing, and changed the RAM spring put the factory trigger return spring back in and the key thing I did was take out the brand new striker assembly and clean the striker channel. Cuz I forgot to clean that but cleaned everything else. Well since then plus the match today it has had 2 light strikes. Its still not striking with the same force but its a lot better than it was. Im going to tweek the loop on the trigger bar tomorrow and see if its the little bit more I need. Other than that just got the extractor left b4 that raises its ugly head. Its popped up a couple times this week. I think my new gun will be awesome. LOL!!!!!

Oh! If your going to say should have bought a GLOCK. Don't think for one second I didn't think of it........

Edited by johnny1gun

It happens with both USB's. I don't think it's necessarily from the striker releasing on the trigger break. I'm thinking it might actually be after the trigger bar resets and the slide is still moving, that the striker bounces around and hits the USB. I haven't shot enough rounds through my regular M&P to see if it happens on stock ones yet or not.

Apparently so. I just looked at the new striker I put in after installing the new USB and it has peening similar to the old one. This is after just a few thousand rounds. Still functions correctly be we will see for how long.

But I am back to SSP so I won't be shooting my two FSS's for a while.

This has been one hell of a journey with this gun the last few weeks. The frustration level was at a 10. This is going to be long. Sorry Im no word smith, just a ordinary crane operator.I have had my m&p since 2010. It has worked flawlessly until right around 8 to 10,000 rounds.First I changed out the old sear block so I could have the bigger sear plunger for the FSS I was buying in the near future. Then the front sight drifted and bought a new front. Tried to drift the rear sight and could not get the screw out. Drilled it out bought a new sight. Started missing shots I thought I called (with the new sights). Stuck it on a bag at 20 yards and it was all over the place. Even had a shot miss the target completely. Got a KKM shot around 70 rounds and got it sighted in pretty good. Can get 10 shots in the a zone now from 20 yards. Shot a match today and it did pretty good. Hear is where I wanted to throw the gun very,very far away from me. I have wanted to get a FSS since b4 they came out, started shooting SS and forgot about it, until I started shooting it again the last couple months. Put FSS in Thursday evening and for the next 4 hours took that thing apart more times than I can count and tried every spring combination I could to stop the light primer strikes witch were 3 out of every 5 rounds. It got dark. Woke up next morning cuz I thought of stuff while laying in bed stewing, and changed the RAM spring put the factory trigger return spring back in and the key thing I did was take out the brand new striker assembly and clean the striker channel. Cuz I forgot to clean that but cleaned everything else. Well since then plus the match today it has had 2 light strikes. Its still not striking with the same force but its a lot better than it was. Im going to tweek the loop on the trigger bar tomorrow and see if its the little bit more I need. Other than that just got the extractor left b4 that raises its ugly head. Its popped up a couple times this week. I think my new gun will be awesome. LOL!!!!!

Oh! If your going to say should have bought a GLOCK. Don't think for one second I didn't think of it........

No need to buy a glock if your on this forum. 18 of them failed the safety test at Area 7 while a whopping 0 M&P's failed. However, you did leave out that little detail about the RAM until this post. The FSS doesn't work reliably with a RAM. Not sure if that is the cause of your light strikes, but I would take it out.

No need to buy a glock if your on this forum. 18 of them failed the safety test at Area 7 while a whopping 0 M&P's failed. However, you did leave out that little detail about the RAM until this post. The FSS doesn't work reliably with a RAM. Not sure if that is the cause of your light strikes, but I would take it out.

I tried that, and still had light primer strikes. I will not be buying a glock. Just my sarcasm leaking into my fingers. I still like the platform. What problems is it causing with the FSS installed?

Something this just made me think of. When looking at my brass after its been fired the strike on the primer is way off from where it was before. New barrel maybe?

I had the same issue with one of their new kits. The new USB is domed and can make timing the tigger bar a pain in the but (atleast for me). After talking with another shooter I just removed the USB from my Limited gun and it smoothed out the trigger and lightened the pull by a few ounces.

-Price

I had the same issue with one of their new kits. The new USB is domed and can make timing the tigger bar a pain in the but (atleast for me). After talking with another shooter I just removed the USB from my Limited gun and it smoothed out the trigger and lightened the pull by a few ounces.

-Price

Removed the USB and installed the OEM block, or removed the USB and said safety be damned?

Safety be damned.. Only on my two limited guns though... I don't/havn't shot production.

Then in my opinion you are a fool. A dropped gun or failed sear (full auto) will put you and those around you at risk.

Not to further derail this thread but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Of the three USB kits I had installed none of them actually functioned as a safety mechanism after 2,000 rounds anyway. If APEX was so concerned they would release a notice about their products which obviously given the amount of discussion on this and other forums have reliability issues. I had considered a dropped gun when they were still installed but after several hours of testing I wasn't able to get the striker to drop and hit a snap cap so I am not too concerned. As far as spit balling on what could happen if a part fails on a gun, go ahead and have fun with that one. Ultimately I am switching away from the M&P platform for limited compeition anyway both because of their trigger mechanisms and their accuracy.

I have yet to solve the problem with the light strikes. So I put back in the stock trigger and am going to call apex and try and send it back. I have had tried everything under the sun to make it work. Springs,changing the size of the trigger bar loop. Both multiple ways and configurations. I wish I would have keep track of the ammo and hours I went through while doing this,and how many times I have had the gun apart. Im beyond frustrated. Last night I lost the plug where the thumb safety goes. I have a chance to get a CORE in .40 but cant find after market iron sights for it that are lower like this gun. Whats sad is I have wanted one of these triggers since they first came out. Im going to go shoot it and see if that was truly the problem. But of corse I put the wrong trigger spring in and have to take it apart one more f&^*ing time.

Signed, Truly Pissed.

Try the four pound spring and take a dry Qtip down the striker channel. Ensure there's no carbon build up on the nose of the striker. Sounds silly, but it appears very easy to get junk brushed into the striker assembly while cleaning the breech face. Various shooters informed me that a striker channel filled with gun oil may cause light strikes. Since then I have been very careful not to over lube the striker channel. No more light strikes.

Try the four pound spring and take a dry Qtip down the striker channel. Ensure there's no carbon build up on the nose of the striker. Sounds silly, but it appears very easy to get junk brushed into the striker assembly while cleaning the breech face. Various shooters informed me that a striker channel filled with gun oil may cause light strikes. Since then I have been very careful not to over lube the striker channel. No more light strikes.

I have done that. Called Apex they are sending a new striker block. If it doesn't work then back to the old Apex comp kit. Great customer serv ice which is why I love them guys.