Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 7. Count your Targets

Rodan

Yep you guessed it. Ran by a three target array behind a port. Though I was at another port thinking ahead

to the next array and won... three failure to engage and six mikes!!! Out of 89 production shooters I came in

88th. I think the other shooters gun died on them.

Been there done that. A couple of Saturdays ago I ran by two targets in a door that I had stapled when helping to set up, First stage, first match in three months and start with four mikes and two failure to engages. It kind of went downhill after that. The really good part was that the match was six weeks to the day after I had a total knee replacement. I kept trying to explain how the titanium and ceramic implant was causing chronic memory loss but nobody bought it. They did enthusiastically welcome me back.

Happened to me yesterday at our local match on a stage.I had it dialed in went really well until I shot the last window 3 paper and 2 plates hosed it and thought wow nice run unloaded and then realized there was 1 paper out side of the window to my right behind a screen wall,all I had to do is turn and 2 shots.funny thing is we all talked about it to make sure we picked it up,go figure

I had the same experience at Area 7. Completely forgot a position and had 5 mikes and 3 FTE. Ouch. And, I ran by a port on another stage. Fortunately, I realized it and was able to safely and successfully back up and pick up the targets.

Area 7 had some of the (for me) toughest stages to dial in quickly that I have come up against in a while. Part of it is getting to Boston the night before, hanging out with my daughter and then rain on the morning of the match and not having a really good look before the 5 minute walk through.

Missed a target in the darkhouse stage at the Texas LE multigun match. That coupled with a 12 second malfunction clearance of my rifle cost me about 11 places in my overall match finish. Not the way I intended to start my day

I participated in my third match this weekend and I had a small problem with a reload that distracted me a little. While I was dealing with this I completely forgot a target that was off to the right about 30 degrees. I also had a no-shoot on the very next stage.

The bad part is that I had a FTE last month as well, and my goal was to get through the day with no mistakes.

For a newer shooter I think my speed is OK and my accuracy is improving steadily, but when I run the numbers on my score sheet the biggest problem is stupid mistakes.

I know my limitations, and I can tell that the really good competitors seem to be quick thinkers. Me, not so much. Is there any way to practice to help overcome these problems? It's hard to simulate a large coarse of fire during practice.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I shot the Area 7 Match also. Didn't get there until 900 pm the prior day. No time to take a look at the stages. I lost 60 points on one stage because I never looked behind a wall. One GM shooter I noticed during the day was just seen standing there at each stage for quite awhile. He was the first in his class. Don't mistake the information he is at the top of his game. I am not. I shoot about 10,000 rounds a year and I am told its not enough.

• 6 months later...

Area 7 2013 was a very, very challenging match. I walked through each stage over and over, trying my best to engage every target, I was nursing a hurt shoulder. My problem was consistently forgetting to reload while moving, I was so wrapped around the drive shaft about not running by a target that I would engage one array, move to the next array, bang, bang, click!! And I did it over and over and over, it was laughable. Awesome match!! I shoot SS, so if I am moving I am reloading. Well I hope for redemption this year, I am practicing HARD.