Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breakaway cam wire on LNL

sarge863

Has anybody had any issues with the breakaway cam wire on the LNL? Was rolling along today and then it just kept popping out. I would put it back in but it didn't seem very snug and would come out again after about two more rounds. There doesn't seem to be any obstructions so I have no idea what's going on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have had issues with mine as well doing the exact same thing. I switched out the plastic top, cleaned out the primer slide really well just to be sure and haven't really had any consistent issues since. I agree with above it wasn't the highlight of the press. Otherwise I love my lnl

The tape worked!!! Thanks cor the tip.

Another idea I had, but never tried (sold the LNL and bought a 650), was to put a small spring in the top plastic piece to push down on the rod. Then I started thinking that the plastic piece may deflect, and that I would then have to machine one from aluminum.

With all of the other issues I had, I decided to just sell the press and buy a Dillon. lol

1) the plate under press has moved or mount bolts have loosened up

2) at top of brass shuttle, has twisted slightly on case feeder mount pole.

Usually this just effects brass getting dropped on shell plate.

Most of time its the lower mount

I had the same issue when my press was new. It turned out the plastic retaining bracket had snapped part way through and didn't give enough downward pressure. I'm not sure whether is snapped in transit or I broke it while setting up the press. I emailed Hornady support and they sent me a new bracket free of charge. But being in Australia it took a while to get here, so to get me up and running I fabricated a brass reinforcing plate shaped like a boomerang to go over the top of the bracket and it hasn't missed a beat since. I still have the new bracket spare.

I was going to post the same issue last week but have been on the road. The first top bracket deformed so much it could not hold the cam down. The second bracket deformed some, but the frictionis so low between the cam and bracket the cam kicks out every time.

Wished they sold just the bracker by itself as I will probably go through a few more, but look forward to trying the electricla tape next week when i get home.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the electric tape trick and it worked for a while. Must have had too much thickness from the tape as I actually broke the bracket last night. Luckily I have one slightly bent bracket to limp through the weekend with...

There are so many positives about the machine that I like I get doubly upset with the primer system... oh well

A lot of LNL-AP owners time would be MUCH BETTER SPENT WATCHING THE VIDEO

SERIES 5 or 6 of them by Bill Morgan (AKA 76highboy on another forum).

His videos are DOWN TO EARTH and simple to follow, GOOGLE FOR:

"Hornady LNL-AP HINTS AND TRICKS"

These videos will save you hours of FRUSTRATION and have your LNL-AP

RUNNING JUST AS SMOOTH AS FROG HAIR. (Shell Plate, Primer System, Powder Measure,

Ejection Systems, he covers all the issues and set-up alignments and fixes for you)

I'm sure glad I took the time to watch them and still do just as a REFRESHER

on how to keep things running RIGHT.

Google for his video series, AND SPEND THE TIME TO WATCH THEM,

YOU'LL BE VASTLY REWARDED FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

Edited by moonman16

moonman16 - that is a must see video series (that I wished would have been out years ago when I started with the LNL AP). Only issue is that he does not have the new breakaway primer cam wire on his machine.

Yes, if it is set up properly to start with then there should not be an issue... but once the cam wire kicks out once then the problems can begin..

76highboy (AKA Bill Morgan),

Is on TheFirearmsForum.com,

He has been waiting for the weather to cool down to make his next

video on THE HORNADY LNL-AP PAWL ADJUSTMENTS.

Too many folk over adjust, adjust the wrong one, get really out in

left field and totally lost with these adjustments.

Edited by moonman16

bubbadoc,

The NEW CAM WIRE SYSTEM (LNL-AP) also has NEW PRIMER SEAT PUNCHES.

The old punches had a larger head and then a NARROWER STEM.

The NEW PUNCHES have a LARGE STEM all the way, NO UNDERCUT.

Dirt and primer debris, powder flakes/grains were the issues with jamming the primer slide,

Debris could fall into the narrowing area of the primer punch stem or primer slide channel, and

that led to primer wire problems and breaking issues of the system.

KEEP SOME CANNED AIR AROUND TO KEEP THE SYSTEM DEBRIS FREE.

SOME JUST TRY TO SPEED ALONG, and don't PAY ATTENTION to their systems.

IF THE OPERATION is not operating smoothly, PLEASE TRY TO FIND OUT WHERE THE BIND

OR PROBLEM IS, DON'T JUST TRY TO FORCE THINGS,

The press is trying to tell you something, AND IT'S NOT TO GET A BIGGER HAMMER OUT.

Edited by moonman16

The problem, however, is that the Hornady primer system often won't tell you that something is going wrong. That plastic piece fatigue stresses over time and then the wire starts popping out.

A better design would be to make that plastic piece out of aluminum, then use a spring inside the aluminum to counter the spring at the bottom, where the rounded end is captured. The top spring would have slightly more pressure than the bottom to keep the guide wire in place until something does jam up. But alas, the Hornady engineers couldn't figure that out.

moonmn16

Thanks for the info on the primer seat punches. I did not know about that. I got the new cam wire from Hornady as a warantee item so I may have been one of the first to get it. The guy there was extremely friendly so I do not think it wa an oversite, just not out yet.

Brassaholic13 is spot on about the fatigue issue though. Hope the new punch will minimize the issue in the future for me/

• 2 weeks later...