Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strong hand reload

LSnSC

Ok this is what I've devised for a heat shield...It's not the prettiest but it does protect the hand and about $25 bucks buys enough raw material to set up about 20 shotguns. So if it gets torn or something it's no biggie and can be re-wrapped in about 60 seconds.

It's nothing more than a heat resistant shield/wrap held in place with some medical power wrap tape.

All I did was take two pieces of the heat shield and cut them to the same length which gave me enough coverage no not have to worry about burns. I peeled the adhesive back off the heat shield and pressed them together. Then after forming/bending the heat shield over the rib I gave it a few wraps with the medical stretch tape. Because the tape is so thin it doesn't block the front head at all and you can even tell it's there when sighting down the rib because it's black.

Ran some shells through it and it seemed to work great....but i didn't get it as hot as I wanted. So this weekend if I have time I'm going to put 30 shells through it as fast as possible and I'm confident it'll work great. I'll make sure to report back on it.

I think it's a good compromise for a shitty problem that has no real world solution just yet.

post-48412-0-55484700-1397092823_thumb.j

post-48412-0-28809600-1397092847_thumb.j

post-48412-0-97480400-1397092908_thumb.j

post-48412-0-75576400-1397092929_thumb.j

Edited by jriggs

over lunch I ran 30 shells through my 11-87 with that new redneck engineered heat guard...and all was good! I started with 11 in the gun and screamed through those...then proceeded to load 10 and fire them off..and load another 10 and burn them. grabeed the barrel and flipped the gun over just like I was loading strong hand and it was slightly warm to the touch...but not at all hot. and there was ZERO chance of getting a burn.

• 2 weeks later...

I am noticing that looks like we are going a bit back words. does any one remember Shawn Carlock. His reload was called I believe Carlock shuffle. stock on the shoulder slightly canted strong hand 4 shells . he was also one of the first to open loading ports.

The Carlock shuffle came about during the SOF days while looking for an alternative to the weak hand load for us ultra right handed folks. David Neth came up with the shoulder slide in order to keep the muzzle out of the dirt while crawling around. Shawn built from that idea to load four at a time. Shawn's Dad started making caddies for four shells out of Kydex. Shawn then perfected loading four at a time and was way faster than David and I loading one at a time off of the gun.

After getting "tennis elbow" or really "shotshell reloading elbow" I was forced into the Carlock Shuffle to preserve my elbow. It's a horrible method to learn, took me years to master it. But no more elbow pain too. As for the discussion on the roll to your shoulder, you don't change your grip with your left hand. That way you never get burned and it's faster to get back on target. Takes a bit of flexibility in the wrist though. Also puts the port right in your face for easy reloading.

I have to thank "Carbon Arms" No relation BTW...They just stole my name... For coming up with the load two carriers. For a while there was talk of two gun matches as most folks complained that shotgun was just a reloading contest. The load two/quad load has changed the game. No more talk of two gun matches. Everyone can now load a shotgun with a few minutes of practice. I even have a Carbon Arms carrier on my belt for most stages. Especially good for loading two just after the buzzer or select slug loads. I'm still faster loading eight with the Carlock shuffle, too much muscle memory.

All the reloading styles have their own strengths. The key is to pick one that works for you after the buzzer goes off.

Carl

I'm on you tube in a few places, 2010 Pan Am games show some reloading. Shawn has an article detailing it in an old Front Site. But the Load two and Quad load are way easier to learn. Great speed in a short amount of time.

• 1 month later...