Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

covering schuemann ports

brongy

allright heres why i asked..here in the Philippines these barrels go for about 600$..now a friend of mine has a 6 port hybrid barrel for a very cheap price.basically giving it to me as its just collecting dust..it was supposed to be for a modified division but as we all know that division was dropped..and i am starting a limited gun project.. i was just wondering on the pros and cons of covering the holes?i have always been interested with a sight tracker type 2011..

and another question, does'nt the holes interfere with the rifling?i havent seen the inside of these ported barrels.

i actually just feel it would be a waste just to leave the barrel especially for the price...

perhaps im being too cheap? im also thinking of getting a barsto instead to get it over with.

Edited by brongy

i actually just feel it would be a waste just to leave the barrel especially for the price...

perhaps im being too cheap? im also thinking of getting a barsto instead to get it over with.

Has the hybrid barrel already been fit to a different gun? What is the cost, to you, of a Barsto?

If the hybrid really is close to free, then go for it. Cheap experiment. Accuracy won't be an issue, right? There are lots of accurate guns around with holes in the barrels.

This barrel has the rib in it, correct? So, lots of material there to tap for a set screw to plug the holes. (assuming they are all round holes?) I've seen a number of ports plugged with a set screw.

I'd be mostly concerned with being sure to get it properly fit to your gun.

a barsto roughly costs around 450.. while the schuemann around 600..

the one being offered to me seems brand new. no signs of wear on the hood or lower lugs..

so anyway its being given at a really good price and im contemplating on leaving the holes as is. i have no plans on competing with it in standard division (already found my home in classic).

.which brings me back to my original purpose all i want is a 2011 which would be a plinker/fun shoot gun. besides i have never had a ported gun so i guess it would be a fun experiment.

another thing if im going to take the barrel may i know if i should use stronger loads for it since is is a 6 port barrel?

You will lose some velocity with barrel ports, however that may not be a factor if you are just going to run it as a fun/plinker gun. The gun will still run fine.

Wear marks, and having been fit to another gun...those are different things. A quality/gunsmith fit barrel (like the ones you are talking about) will be over-sized it the fitment areas. To fit, material will be removed. If the barrel has been fit to another gun already, then material will have been removed from the barrel. It won't likely look like wear.

If it has been fit already, you'd want to measure it (caliper) to see if it has enough material left to fit it to your gun.