Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting on the Move in practice

Sparky

I practice shooting on the move in dry fire... Sometimes I hold a glass of water in one hand to show how smooth I am moving... Also important is when to shoot on the move... Also important is to read the rule book... when your finger can/can't be on the trigger.

Ben Stoeger has a section on "Shooting While Moving" in his book "Practical Pistol." It's a good, helpful book... Might want to get it... Very strong on fundamentals...

http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Practical-Pistol-by-Ben-Stoeger-p/practical-pistol.htm

When you practice shooting on the move.

What distance do you shoot?

How many targets do you use?

How do you arrange the targets?

Do you use Hard Cover or No-Shoots?

I try to shoot on the move in the widest variety of circumstances possible. You want to figure out where your limits are and then try to move the ball forward.

Most people probably use a 3 target arrangement and practice moving in each direction while shooting. I like to work my shooting on the move in to little scenarios (mini stages).

I've just stated working on this my self. I'm hoping for some big pay offs. I started with the dry fire drills out of Steve Anderson's book, but decided I needed to dumb it down a little but taking the targets away and just ficus on keeping the sights lined up for a little while. Then adding the targets back in.

An interesting thing to do is take a laser pointer and watch what happens as you move. For me, I've noticed how much movement there is in the impact point with greater distance - I can get a sense of what my maximum range for A hits might be at different speeds and angles. I also am getting a better sense of when the sight is most steady during each step, and how pulling the gun in closer helps steady the sight picture.

I practiced it DF for about a month, then LF practiced after I felt I had it down to an acceptable level.

I found that it was much harder to DF on the move then LF. That may seem weird but it surprised me how accurate I was when the gun went bang. I then had to push myself to go faster and faster in LF, much faster then I think I would go in a match just because we usually don't see stages that are all that long with so much long movement with open targets to be able to engage. Usually we have to post up at some point in time/distance/timing and we just don't have long runs.

I didn't use a timer on any of it (on purpose). I think that I really concentrated on getting it right in DF for the month or so when I was working on it heavy. I think the DF work just made LF seem much easier when I finally dropped the hammer.

I think the most important thing about shooting on the move, for me, is to be able to "slap" the trigger and capture the acceptable sight pic I am looking for.

I too used "mini" stages. I just move the target stands around to varying distances/difficulty levels after about 2-3 tries or so. My thought is that I didn't want to get the timing down too much, I wanted to keep mixing it up.

Set up 4 barrels at the corners of an imaginary box. Set up 2 paper targets and one steel plate across the front of the box at whatever distance you want to practice. There will be 4 separate strings for 1 rep. Start at the left rear barrel and on the timer move forward to the left front barrel while engaging the targets. Stop. On the timer move sideways across the front of the box to the right front barrel while engaging the targets. Stop. On the timer engage the targets while retreating to the back right barrel. Stop. On the timer engage the targets while moving right to left. Stop. That's one rep. Repeat in the opposite direction. Change up to all steel to learn to hit steel on the move.

Repeat 1,000 times ...

Get on a treadmill and dry fire or airsoft for ten minutes. You will do more in ten minutes than a whole day at the range. The practice is all about keeping the head and sight still while movement tries to disrupt everything. You don't need to actually be shooting live, in fact doing it live fire disrupts the training with resetting and reloading. Use live fire to test the results not produce them.

For reference look at Bamairsofts videos on using treadmills or my video in the airsoft rifle post.

Edited by stuart1336

Get on a treadmill and dry fire or airsoft for ten minutes. You will do more in ten minutes than a whole day at the range. The practice is all about keeping the head and sight still while movement tries to disrupt everything. You don't need to actually be shooting love, in fact doing it live fire disrupts the training with resetting and reloading. Use live fire to test the results not produce them.

For reference look at Bamairsofts videos on using treadmills or my video in the airsoft rifle post.

WAY back in the day, I used to do that while playing Call of Duty, I was pretty good sitting, walking on the tread mill made the game a WHOLE lot harder, then I moved to jogging,WOW.

I wish(probably do now)there was an actual pistol, rifle, SG you could use instead of the controler/joy stick.