Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W 1911 slide not locking back

Chris_C

I have a new 1911 built in 40 S&W and am having problems getting the slide to lock back. Here are the symptoms:

a) Using Wilson 47FX magazines the slide does not lock back, either in live fire or manually racking the slide. I have 8 of these brand new mags and it's the same for each.

B) I have one Tripp 40 mag and it will lock back on this mag when manually racking the slide. I have not shot it in live fire yet.

c) If I open the slide and insert an empty Wilson mag it does push up the slide stop as it should.

d) Once I have a Wilson mag seated in the gun there seems to be a lot of resistance in moving the slide stop, or at least more than I would expect. I took the follower out of the mag and reseated it to check for metal to metal contact between the mag body and the slide stop. It's close, but I don't think this is the culprit.

e) The plunger has worn a little track on the rear face of the slide stop. I am assuming this is normal, but it caught my eye.

Any thoughts on what to check/change?

With only the barrel installed (no slide) and the stop pin inserted, does the slide stop move freely into the slide lock position without the plunger? If no, stop pin is catching or binding. If with light pressure it moves into lock position with the plunger & spring installed that should be fine. I suspect the slide stop is just short enough it doesn't work with certain mags. Remove the slide (you can leave the barrel on) and you should be able to see if the mag followers are engaging the slide stop or not.

You should be able to see the stop lever and follower interaction with the slide locked back and also with the slide off and stop installed.

Lock the slide back manually or remove the slide/install the stop lever and then slowly insert your mag and observe how the stop lever and follower/mag mesh.

So, taking several of your suggestions I think it's the relationship between the slide stop and the Wilson follower. If the stars are aligned the Wilson follower will push up the stop that's in the gun, but it's also very easy for the follow to move to the side a touch and move past the nose of the slide stop. I have no idea which stop is in there, but I'd prefer to solve this by changing to a different slide stop with a wider nose. Any suggestions there? I see EGW sells their HD slide stop in two versions, one for 45 and one marked 9/40/38 Super.

I have 8 of the Wilson's but only one Tripp, hence the desire to stick with the Wilson's. Also, the Tripp won't seat without pushing the slide stop, no matter how hard I push.