Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light primer strikes

JasonRBenjamin

I recently picked up a EAA Witness Match in 9MM with a henning trigger & grips off of Gun Broker.

I am getting Failure to fire.

The strikes on the Primers are so light that I had not had a round go off yet.

Brought it homes and disassembled it. Nothing looks out of place with the firing pin.

The Firing pin measures 2.586in long.

The previous owner believe it is still the stock hammer spring and has 3k rounds through it.

Never had any problem shooting his reloads using CCI primers.

Thoughts?

Edited by JasonRBenjamin

14 or 15 lb main hammer spring unless you have an extended firing pin than I think a 13 will do.if it has had work done previously than it probably has a lighter hammer spring.we installed a 13 in my stock II and I had light hits so going back to a 14 I would rather have reliability than a little lighter trigger which I can't tell in thee middle of a stage anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Also I've seen some pistols where the firing pin block does NOT disengage fully. I had to take my dremel and shorten the lug on it because it was physically enable to get completely out of the way. This was causing a similar issue. On another note I did some work on a polymer gun recently.

I polished the firing pin, polished the inside of the firing pin block, and lowered that lug I mentioned about .010 and now the primer strikes are crazy deep.

Henning's large frame pin is 2.630"

>>> kneelingatlas is that a stock large frame firing pin? not a Henning or EGW?

Since mine is 2.586in, where do I buy a replacement firing pin? EAA?

Does anyone have a spare? or EGW?

Where can a EGW firing pin be purchased from?

Edited by JasonRBenjamin

I took that measurement from Henning's site for his extra long FP, but it cannot be used with the FP block.

If your setup works great without the FPB, either leave it out or work on fixing it with Nealio's suggestions. I'm not a big fan of the blocks, so I take them out; after all, these are race guns, not carry pistols :)

Edited by kneelingatlas

I just re read your OP and it occurs to me that with the Henning trigger set up right the sear may not travel enough to consistently release the FPB. I'll bet the seller or your pistol wasn't using the block, then through it in before he sold it in an attempt to limit his liability if the buyer were to have am accident.

Is the hammer stock or aftermarket?

The firing pin block safety is designed to work with the crap triggers these pistols roll out of the factory with, complete with long pre/over travel.

Also I've seen some pistols where the firing pin block does NOT disengage fully. I had to take my dremel and shorten the lug on it because it was physically enable to get completely out of the way. This was causing a similar issue. On another note I did some work on a polymer gun recently.

I polished the firing pin, polished the inside of the firing pin block, and lowered that lug I mentioned about .010 and now the primer strikes are crazy deep.

I just re read your OP and it occurs to me that with the Henning trigger set up right the sear may not travel enough to consistently release the FPB. I'll bet the seller or your pistol wasn't using the block, then through it in before he sold it in an attempt to limit his liability if the buyer were to have am accident.

Is the hammer stock or aftermarket?

The firing pin block safety is designed to work with the crap triggers these pistols roll out of the factory with, complete with long pre/over travel.

I think we have a winner, thank you both Nealio & kneelingatlas

There was no discernable mark with the stock hammer spring, but now with the 18lb hammer spring it is leaving a mark on the firing pin.

Where the Firing Safety Block is not disengaging.

Sorry for the poor Picture.

post-49469-0-53779600-1380298332_thumb.j

Edited by JasonRBenjamin

Has the Tang been tested without the Firing Pin block installed?

praetorian97 > Thank you for the idea, but Please make sure to read all the prior post as your questions have been answered each time in prior postings.

I will just keep my mouth shut next time big guy. Im posting from a phone most times and believe it or not I do look up briefly.

Has the Tang been tested without the Firing Pin block installed?

praetorian97 > Thank you for the idea, but Please make sure to read all the prior post as your questions have been answered each time in prior postings.

I will just keep my mouth shut next time big guy. Im posting from a phone most times and believe it or not I do look up briefly.

praetorian97> Don't get me wrong, the input is appreciated and I mean you no offense.