Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who can enlarge a gas port quick?

B45C22

First, do you need the port larger? It is an odd barrel that has a gas hole too small.

Second, yes you can drill it by hand, but a drill press would be better. The trick is NOT to drill too deep and contact the rifling.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

Well, I called Glenn and he told me to quit being a sissy and do it myself. I bought the drills that he recommended and went to town.

I took a few minutes to make sure that my drill press was running true and to set up my cross slide vise on the drill press table. I centered the existing hole up and made sure that the barrel was perpendicuar to the drill bit and went after it. I used about 4 of the number drills that were between the existing hole size and .135. I used plenty of oil and went slow. It was a breeze. I went and test fired it a few rounds and everything worked perfectly. I will tune the gas block the next time I go out, but it looks like this operation was a success.

One thing that I am not particularly happy with is that it looks like the gas port hole is in the middle of one of the rifling ridges. I was told that it needed to be in the flat part if at all possible. Oh, Well, there is no changing it now.

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Edited by B45C22

Truth be told it doesn't matter where the port is in relation to the rifling. I have bore scoped so many barrels and seen them all over the place, we do accuracy checks and all were under MOA shooting guns. I have seen this on many different manufacturers of guns/barrels that come in the shop including the "top tier" brands.