Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDs recall

KentG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmt, on 03 Nov 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

Mine is back no problem . I think some of the negative replies are from people who have never had a company to run .

Or maybe just its people who don't know how to run a company with any ethics.

I sent mine in a few days after the recall was issued. I then called SA on two different occasions and was told I would have it back with in 30 days. They didn't present this as an estimate or a guess. They said they had a solution and knew the turn around time. Lie.

Only after a few weeks and speaking with 8 employees of SA. The final one being the VP of Sales and Marketing did I find out that they had no solution to their problem. They "figured" they could have a solution in place and the guns back within 30 days, but they were wrong. It was only after people like me started to get upset that they came clean and admitted to lying to all their customers. SA made me feel like I didn't matter and in truth to them I don't.

I own/owned 3 SA pistols. I have already sold two and I plan on ditching the XDs as soon as it gets back. SA lost me as a customer when they intentionally lied and refused to make it right. I hate liars and unethical businesses. I will never again own a SA product.

If you want a deal on an XDs that has only shot 14 rounds...keep and eye on the classifieds!

I have 3 XD products at the moment. One of them being a CC Tactical package. I don't shoot it much at this point since I switched to 9mm XD5.25 which I traded to move into a Sig 226 X5 Tactical. I don't think Im selling what I have but I can promise I will never buy another Springfield product. Ever. And I have had at least 6-8 XD guns, a stainless 45 and bought 2 brand new M1A rifles over last 15 years.

Just imagine the flip side of this story. They knew there was a problem with some of these guns, but because they didn't have a fix they didn't recall them. Someones gun malfunctions and someone gets hurt or god forbid killed. The media would be calling for there heads as well as the lawyers suing them out of business forever. I understand why they handled it the way they did. I don't like it as they have had my XDs 45 for over two months now, but any major manufacturer would have done the same in my opinion.It's just part of this crappy society we live in these days IMHO. I've had a lot of SA guns as well as many others, and this one won't be my last.

Just imagine the flip side of this story. They knew there was a problem with some of these guns, but because they didn't have a fix they didn't recall them. Someones gun malfunctions and someone gets hurt or god forbid killed. The media would be calling for there heads as well as the lawyers suing them out of business forever. I understand why they handled it the way they did. I don't like it as they have had my XDs 45 for over two months now, but any major manufacturer would have done the same in my opinion.It's just part of this crappy society we live in these days IMHO. I've had a lot of SA guns as well as many others, and this one won't be my last.

Please don't misunderstand me, I think they definitely needed to recall the weapons for safety reasons along with covering their own butts. However, they should have been straight up with all their customers and offered a buyback program since there was no solution in place. They of course couldn't do this because a % of the suckers who purchased their unsafe pistol would have taken them up on it and since money is always the great motivator they passed on the buyback idea. In the end they were only worried about one thing...themselves and the balance in their own bank accounts.

I have liked everyone of the XD/XDm/XDs pistols I have owned. They make a fine product, but to me a product is only as good as the company/customer service that is backing it. Since they failed miserably in that department I have decided to cut ties. I don't blame anyone who follows suit and I certainly don't blame anyone who wants to stay loyal.

Good old capitalism at it's finest. Don't give anything away if you don't have. I've only heard of a buyback on pistols once, I believe that was recently with Canick as it was determined that there was no fix for the problem. As long as they can fix it for probably $10 in parts, they're not going to give any money. I just got my invoice from SA and my XDs will be back Thursday. I understand your futility with the way they handled this. I'd probably be a lot more upset if this was my only pistol, but I never really missed it. I've got other carry guns (another SA, a EMP 40!!!), so I guess it just doesn't seem as serious to me. But I do understand your point of view entirely. At least we can agree to disagree.

• 4 weeks later...

I received my XDs (45) back about three weeks ago and I am pleased with it. I appreciate that they included a complimentary 7 round magazine. No individual or company is perfect and I would suppose that the profit margins on those XDs pistols was pretty much consumed between the recall, freight, cost to rework, return freight, cost of the complimentary magazine, etc. I think they took responsible action by getting the pistols out of the field and back in their hands as soon as possible. I think they do care about both our safety as well as their bottom line. It is not mutually exclusive. In addition to Springfield I own Colt, S&W, Ruger, Glock and Taurus. I am not overly partial to any of them, just appreciate that running a business requires you to make tough decisions and not everyone is going to be happy with how things are done.

I refuse to accept any excuse for this.

If they had declared a safety issue from the get go and simply said they were going to make it right somehow all would be good. They would have gotten props for manning up and dealing with it.

LYING out of the gate about HAVING a fix let them dig their own hole. Ef them.

The way I look at this issue with Springfield is they picked up the tab, fixed it, and gave everyone a mag. Who gives a rat's ass what was said and how long it took to accomplish the recall? I don't think anyone else makes a better gun for the size of the XDs. If you can't stand Springfield because of this so be it, I don't really think anyone will be swayed by your opinion of Springfield.

Rich

The way I look at this issue with Springfield is they picked up the tab, fixed it, and gave everyone a mag. Who gives a rat's ass what was said and how long it took to accomplish the recall? I don't think anyone else makes a better gun for the size of the XDs. If you can't stand Springfield because of this so be it, I don't really think anyone will be swayed by your opinion of Springfield.

Rich

My feelings exactly. My XDS runs perfect after the recall and I have no problem with how SA handled it.

I think Springfield really dropped the ball on this one. I understand the " we better cover our asses" mentality that corporations have to have with all of the sue happy people out there, but to not be up front right away about what was really going on just to get everyone to send their gun in, that's what did it for me. I am probably not going to sell all the Springfields I have just because of this, but it will make me think twice before I buy another one. They definitely could have handled it better and will lose a fair amount of business because of it IMO.

Rich

The way I look at it is your 100% vested in defending them. I don't care about your opinion of Springfield. I wont be buying any more guns from you or parts.

Rich

The way I look at it is your 100% vested in defending them. I don't care about your opinion of Springfield. I wont be buying any more guns from you or parts.

Well, if you sell all your SA pistols I'm pretty sure there would be no reason to buy anything from Rich. I think if you had ever delt with SA customer service outside this recall your opinion would be as jaded. I've had XD's since SA first took over the imports and have put thousands of rounds through them all. I've had parts break and every time I called I got through to customer service within minutes. All they ever asked me for was a serial number and an address to send the part or parts too. Even on my 8 year old XD 9 I was able to get a new cocking indicator sent to me. As much as I love my CZ Shadow, I have to foot the bill on all the wear and tear on that pistol. The majority of manufacturers don't have that kind of service so I won't let a slow turn around in one massive recall taint my opinion.

The way I look at it is you are 100% vested in prosecuting them. I don't care about your opinion of Springfield. I won't be buying your XD's when you finally decide to sell them.

Edited by Lee G

Rich did work on one of my guns and I could not have been more pleased with the result. I understand that Rich depends on SA for the majority of his business and to not defend them would be an unwise decision.

However, I am with KentG on this. A company is only as good as their word and to me SA are liars. They lost me as a customer and I have already sold both of my XDMs and my XDS. People have the right to hate or love SA and no one is wrong. To each his own.

Rich

Well, if you sell all your SA pistols I'm pretty sure there would be no reason to buy anything from Rich. I think if you had ever delt with SA customer service outside this recall your opinion would be as jaded. I've had XD's since SA first took over the imports and have put thousands of rounds through them all. I've had parts break and every time I called I got through to customer service within minutes. All they ever asked me for was a serial number and an address to send the part or parts too. Even on my 8 year old XD 9 I was able to get a new cocking indicator sent to me. As much as I love my CZ Shadow, I have to foot the bill on all the wear and tear on that pistol. The majority of manufacturers don't have that kind of service so I won't let a slow turn around in one massive recall taint my opinion.

The way I look at it is you are 100% vested in prosecuting them. I don't care about your opinion of Springfield. I won't be buying your XD's when you finally decide to sell them.

I am not 100% vested in prosecuting them. I have owned more Springfield guns than you most likely. I am however 100% vested in doing the right thing and not supporting a company that willfully LIES to its customers.

Yeah I just got the friendly little weekly e-mail again today. " Due to some unforeseen importation delays caused by the govt. shutdown, we are going to have to extend delivery times by 2 weeks plus " . It just gets better everyday!!! That means that they will have had my pistol for 4 MONTHS to fix their stupid issue that I never had a problem with in the first place. Now I know the people who have already gotten theirs back don't think it is bad at all. I am getting fed up with this bullsh#t and will probably have to buy another carry gun before I ever get my piece of sh#t XDs back. If Springfield REALLY gave a crap don't you think they could resolve the problem in less than 4 MONTHS!!!!! AND I HAVE AND DO RUN A COMPANY!! Needless to say I won't be following their business model on how to deal with situations like this -

Yeah, wish I waited also, probably wouldn't want to sell all my Springfields like I do now!!! For a follow up, I just got off the phone with Springfield and they said that they were overwhelmed by the number of pistols sent in initially, they have added staff, running 3 shifts etc... etc... but by the way, it will be END OF JANUARY before you will see yours ( mine was received 1st week in OCT. ) so apparently a 4 month turnaround is adequate in their eyes. If I ever get it back it will probably be in the classifieds the next day as I will have purchased another carry gun by then -

Rich

I am not 100% vested in prosecuting them. I have owned more Springfield guns than you most likely. I am however 100% vested in doing the right thing and not supporting a company that willfully LIES to its customers.

I just want to clear the issue a bit. I have bought 2 XDTactical packages from Canyon Creek. They are great guns. I think Rich does good work and he should be proud of his reputation and quality of work. I think I have also bought a few parts from him as well but not sure. My issue is NOT with Rich or Springer Precision which sold me my XDm 5.25 9mm that I used for 3G for a years or so. I am very much happy with the XD platform and have been a fanboy and lobbied for them to people based on my satisfaction. The TRP was OK but not special. M1A, I don't really know what you can say except its the perfect example of 30 cal battle rifle for me.

I have a shitload of XD odds and ends from the years in my house. I even still have a couple M1A mags I came across recently and I don't have a 308 platform anymore. Not to mention the XD mags NIB Im hanging on to due to bammy and co.

In short I will probably be sad I cant/wont ever buy a Springfield product again but this is an issue that shows that they are more lawyer and profit driven that product and customer driven. Its similar to the reason I will not patronize AR15.com or anyone who knowingly and willing supports the scum at cheaper than dirt. There is another whole bag of worms and I wont expand on that. I think that was done a while ago.

I support companies who seem to have a soul and support the freedoms we all take for granted. Its hard to do it lately but I pick and choose my battles and I pick this one.

I have to agree with KentG on this one, and not just because I am irritated about the status of my pistol either, the only way to express our displeasure with the handling of this recall is to not patronize companies that put their legal priorities etc... above the customers. Let's keep in mind that without us as customers buying their products they would not even be in business. Some large companies tend to lose sight of that fact or choose to ignore it because they feel as if a certain number of angry customers are worth the alternative of legal ramifications or looking stupid for putting out an inferior product.

I also want to clarify that I have a total of 4 springfield guns and have been very happy with the quality, performance etc... that I have gotten from them. That, however, does not excuse how they as a company have chosen to fix this problem. If they put their customers satisfaction on a higher priority, it would not take 4 months to resolve the issue. I spoke to Springfield and while they were certainly not rude about it, they made it clear that this was the best they were going to do and other than " sorry " offered no other solution.

I also did a little more research and found out a little more about the actual problem and it CLEARLY is a design and manufacturing issue that should have been caught well before this gun ever made it into the hands of a customer. Now everyone is entitled to make a mistake, but how you choose to fix your mistake is what you should be judged by, and in my opinion they failed miserably and we as customers are now paying for it.

Therefore I too will choose not to support a company that does not put their customers needs above their own, you are entitled to your own opinion but they as a company will continue to business this way unless the customers make a point of NOT putting up with it -