Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTF Are We?

Vince Pinto

Two American tourists were driving through Wales.

At Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch, they stopped for lunch and one of the tourists said to the waitress, "Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? Would you please pronounce where we are ..... very slowly?"

The blonde waitress leaned over and said, "Burrr-gurrr-Kinngg..."

welsh.jpg

Paging kdj, paging "I'm not English!" kdj...

Little known fact, several popular songs about this town were reworked in production and later became famous with names of other places:

Stan Getz, Girl from Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch

Tony Bennet, I Left My Heart in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch

Led Zeppelin, Goin' to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch

Warren Zevon, Werewolves of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch

Little known fact, several popular songs about this town were reworked in production and later became famous with names of other places:

Erik, yes I know. I love Frank Sinatra's "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch"

Can someone please make a recording of the pronunciation for that railway stations name ...

Help yourself here.

(Left-Click to play or Right Click and "Save Target As" to save it).

Okay... did you just summon Satan to Earth?

That was f@#$in' creepy, man!

Dont forget that favorite childrens tune ...

John Jacob Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch !

His name is my name too

whenever we go out , the people scream and shout

John Jacob Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch ! :P

Y'all need to learn Googling... ;)

http://www.nwt.co.uk/english/anglesey/llanfairpg.htm

It's in Wales, some 100Km SW from Liverpool:

4-1-3.jpg

Its name means:

"The Church of St Mary in the hollow of the white hazel near the rapid whirlpool and the church of St Tysilio near a red cave, although it is usually shortened to Llanfairpwll or Llanfair P.G."

As you might notice, that's kinda Llan-land over there... :lol:

I'm prepared to bet that it wasn't Vince's voice in that recording!

I don't see what the big deal is, since the pronounciation is obvious given that Welsh is phoenetic :lol:

I delight in answering the "Place of birth" question for id. I usually say "Would you recognise it even if I said it" :D In that town, there's only 8 letters with 2 "english" vowels, both of which come at the end, but the LLs, Ws, Ys, RH, ... seem to confuse Americans :P

Kevin

It exists but it's pretty much just a train station with a large sign and a gift shop!

I have a few T-shirts from there that I'll have to remember to wear to the next major match I shoot so I can be picked out from the crowd B)

Kevin