Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi all,

I really wish to come and attend a match in the US next year (possibly with a bunch of teammates), and I'm trying to gather info on US matches to discuss and select one at our next team assembly (at the beginning of next year).

I have already contacted forum member hoser, but I don't really want to lay on him the whole burden of having to gather info and re-sending them to me.

What I'm looking for is some general info (details below) on what you think would be the best 2-days (or more), 14 stages minimum, match in the U.S.A.

I'd prefer something in the May/September timeframe, due to paperwork and organizational issues, but I'll gladly accept other suggestions too.

Match info needed:

- Match Date(s)

- Number of Stages

- Minimum number of rounds (approx.)

- Availability of slots for non-USPSA members (but regular IPSC/Italian Federation members)

Thanks!

Oddly enough, the best matches I shot all year in the US were only 8 and 10 stages! It's probably too late to make arrangements, but Frank Garcia's match, the Florida Open, is a great 12 stage match with high round counts.

Otherwise, I would suggest the Area 2...only from what I've heard. That's the ultimate US match experience.

PHil

In the US, you'll find major matches tend to have fewer stages with higher round counts. We don't tend to follow the guidelines for the number of short, medium & long COF's. They're mostly medium & long.

In the last 6 years, I've shot about 40 major matches. I can only recall one Area match that was over 12 stages. The only ones larger than 15 have been the Nationals.

You might be able to shoot 2 matches in one weekend. Shoot one on Friday, travel Saturday & shoot the other Sunday. Or, if you can be here a week and a half, shoot matches on 2 consecutive weekends & sightsee during the week between matches.

As far as the best matches goes, I'd say Area 2/Rio Salado Desert Classic, Florida Open or any USPSA Nationals.

I would suggest Area 8 and/or the Mid-Atlantic Sectional. Both are usually shot in 1/2 day format, 8-10 stages. Not a lot of really fancy decorations, but real good shooting challenges.

Most courses are at least medium length, the majority are long with an occasional over long.

Just as an aside, our club runs a seven stage monthly match. Come out an meet the locals.

Jim Norman

Thanks everybody for info, I'll take note of those matches.

I asked for a 14+ stages match because I'm stuck thinking of the 3-2-1 IPSC ratio, but I realize that in the U.S. you shoot fewer stages with higher rounds count

Here in the old Europe we tend to have a 2-2-1 S-M-L courses ratio, thus a 14 stages match will usually be in the 200/220 rounds count neighbourhood, and it will take a 2-days match to have 250 competitors shooting it.

Just a suggestion, but with the favourable exchange rate of the Euro, why don't you consider places like RSA, Israel, Far East, South America, etc for a big away match. I can only vouch for the RSA matches and I think very few will be able to beat the overall quality of their shoots....

Luca,

From what I understand, the Florida Open is the match if you are looking for a very well conceived, and executed IPSC match in the US. Great stages... great attendance... great competition.... great weather...and yes, great prize table. Certainly, worth strong consideration (plus, you can go to Disney World!!!) :D

Then again, if you are looking for the king of the Area matches, it sure seems that Area 2 is THE Area match to attend. While, I don't have personal experience on this one, you certainly would not go wrong at Area 2.

Of course, there are several other very worthy, and good matches that you could attend (and that can get to be a subjective and long list)...

All that said, if you are coming across the Big Pond.... why not shoot the Pistol Nationals (when and wherever they are)??? :huh:

Thanks again buds (Brian where have you been lately?),

I'd sure love to be able to attend the US nationals (I guess it's the best place to meet most of the forum members), but I guess since nor me, neither my friens, are USPSA members, this could prove almost impossible.

I'll have a look at all the matches you will suggest, starting from Area 2.

Flex,

is this a written rule? :(

I mean, all over Europe, but I guess in other continents too, if you can prove you're an active IPSC member, any major match will reserve places (maybe not many, but some) for foreign shooters.

This is at least what goes on with all major matches here in Italy (Nationals included).

Found more info:

From the old Red Book...

USPSA Major matches were either "Sanctioned" or Tournament" (In the new book we are using the Level I, II, III designations that IPSC uses)

One of the requirements of the old book...

"All competitors are USPSA members or members of their region competing with prior approval of their Regional Director"

Even more info (I just dug up the new Green Book)...

Appendix A1

USPSA Match Levels

02. Competitors must be USPSA members (Section 6.5)

- Level I: Recommended

- Level II: Mandatory

- Level III: Mandatory

I don't know that Section 6.5 provides any help in telling what the above means.

Know that you are certainly welcome to shoot USPSA matches (especially in OHIO). I just don't know if the rules require that you join USPSA to shoot the Major matches?

Appendix A1 - USPSA Match Levels

02. Competitors must be USPSA members (Section 6.5)

-  Level I:    Recommended

-  Level II:   Mandatory

-  Level III:  Mandatory

Flex, I presume the "mandatory" is a misprint, but I'm checking with Mike Voigt and will revert ASAP.

Flex,

what the "old" red rulebook says makes sense to me, it's the same we apply here in Europe and Italy: to shoot a match abroad (other than Lev. I), you have to be member of IPSC through your Regional Federation; moreover, to attend such matches you usually have to have your entry form signed by your Regional Director, meaning he approves your going abroad to attend an IPSC match.

What doesn't make sense to me is the quotation of the "new" green rulebook, because I'd have expected something along the lines of:

Appendix A1

USPSA Match Levels

02. Competitors must be USPSA or IPSC members (Section 6.5)

Otherwise, this means that if you're not member of the USPSA you're not able to shoot a USPSA Lev.II or higher match...kinda harsh, don't you feel? :(

..... you usually have to have your entry form signed by your Regional Director, meaning he approves your going abroad to attend an IPSC match.

Correction. A Regional Director does not "approve" you travelling abroad, nor does he "approve" your participation in a foreign match.

The RDs signature merely certifies to the foreign match organisers that you are a member in good standing of your Region of residence (i.e. you have paid your dues and you are not suspended or similar).

Correction. A Regional Director does not "approve" you travelling abroad, nor does he "approve" your participation in a foreign match.

The RDs signature merely certifies to the foreign match organisers that you are a member in good standing of your Region of residence (i.e. you have paid your dues and you are not suspended or similar).

That's what I meant with my bad english, thanks for pointing it out. ;)

I don't think you can shoot any Major USPSA match without being a member?

Appendix 1 of the new rulebook says "Must be USPSA Member" for L2 matches and above, but also says "See Section 6.5". Section 6.5 goes on in further detail to explain that competitors must be members of the IPSC regional affiliate for the location in which they reside, but may establish eligibility by joining another region if they live outside the existing regions (for exampe, McMurdo - since many of the residents there meet the 183 day residence requierment).

International competitors will find themselves most welcome at USPSA matches. It's worth remembering that the US now requires advance paperwork -see the information at http://www.uspsa.org/foreignVisitors/foreignVisitors.html.

If anyone doubts this, feel free to contact John Amidon for an official ruling.

Rob,

thanks for the explanation.

I had already downloaded the USPSA documentation you linked, and upon reading it never ever wondered about the USPSAmembership requirement to attend a USPSA match.

But since the issue has been brought out, I wanted to have it cleared before carrying out anything else.

Thanks again.

Maybe I'll come back here for additional assistance, upon having cleared my plans and schedule.

Thanks Rob, for confirming that the USPSA observes the same SOP used by all other member regions of IPSC, namely that US residents must join the USPSA, but that the USPSA honours memberships of affiliated foreign regions, in respect of residents of those regions.

For the benefit of those who are unaware, the thrust of Section 6.5 is to avoid "memberships of convenience", where Joe Bloggs actually lives in Tabasco, but he only joins IPSC Guacamole because they have cheaper fees.

Bottom line: if you don't support your region of residence, you don't get to play overseas.