Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build or Buy competition AR

Why1504

I have built a couple of AR-15's. I am comfortable working on them and as of yet haven't had any issue I couldn't sort out. Until now, I bought parts and screwed them together. I think I understand what I would get going to a top tier builder. A proven setup which has been tuned to maximize accuracy and minimize recoil. My question is how difficult is this tuning process? I am not uncomfortable tuning an adjustable gas block, aligning compensators, etc. I am less comfortable tuning compensators by expanding port sizes. The other advantage is not having to take the time to select parts, source them, order them, and get them in so that I can assemble the gun. I would like to her comments on the differences from guys who have built guns and either sent them to smiths for tuning or then ordered a custom AR for competition.

Thanks!

It's really up to you which you feel like doing. If you want to pick each and every part (or at least damn near) and make them run all together, it's much better to part it yourself than build. If you're willing to get a bunch of grouped parts and pay a little extra for the tuning, but it at least in chunks (JP barrel with gas system, Lancer complete upper, complete lower, etc).

If you already know what you want and your style, I would suggest that you part it up and have someone help you tune it. My first "competition rifle" was a stock stag. It eventually got a free float tube, new barrel and gas system, new lower, new stock, new trigger, new grips, and glass. Honestly, I think the only parts that are original to the stag are the bolt and mag release, both of which will be replaced soon by the Lancer lower set up. But I did this build over a few years as I learned what does and doesn't work for me. I also built with money as it became available. I'm into my rifle (with Trijicon!) about $1100, but I waited for deals and bought some prize table pick ups. Didn't hurt to score a noveske lower with UBR on it for $200. But if you want a race gun NOW, buy from a good established builder or wait on this classified site.

Let's see. First I had a complete rifle built. Then (before that rifle even arrived), I had a shorter upper made. I've long since benched that complete rifle. Wasn't my competition style despite it being completely awesome. It goes on sale in a few days, BTW.

I got to building my own competition lower and mounted the other/shorter upper. Ran that for a while. It worked well, but I wanted some modest changes.

Finally, I selected each and every component for a new upper, down to pins and barrel nut.....everything. Then I took that bin of new parts to a local gunsmith that used to compete in Open class competition. He assembled them for me since I don't have a vise, good table, etc. I have that upper running on my self-built lower. Runs like a champ and should cover me for a long time.

I personally don't get much enjoyment from assembling stuff. Building that lower that one time was enough frustration for me. However, I very much enjoy designing systems. Heck I have a .308 AR design I want someone to build, just to prove it can be done. It isn't the most conventional design. ;)

For me, I've found the right balance. I pick the parts with consultations with more experienced shooters and then have a competent gunsmith put them together. It really helps when he is a precision marksmanship instructor and totally "gets" Open 3-gun competition. Any time tuning anything has to be done by me. But I usually only fool with the gas block settings and maybe could fuss with buffer spring rates. At my skill level I need to worry about fast and accurate operation of the gear, not as much the components (despite how much I enjoy finding the "right" parts for the job)

If I wanted to buy a full-up competition rifle, I'd give my money to JP and let them handle it. I use enough of their parts already. I almost did it this past time. I really like the SCR-11 and LRP-07 designs.

Anyway, that's my story. I hope it is helpful in some way.

Thanks Michael. I did some due diligence and came up with a list of parts. I then talked to Benny Hill who worked my M2. His parts list was close to mine except trigger (I knew I couldn't do the JP). His price wasn't a pile higher than it would have been for me to build it from scratch and a good bit less than JP or the other builders I priced so I have ordered it. My travel schedule heats up next week again and when I get back I would rather shoot than chase parts.

Isn't budget always the great limiter? When you build an AR and choose every part, at least you know everything that's in there. I don't see a reason to buy a complete rifle if someone plans on switching out parts the moment it arrives. But you could definitely save at least a little money buying all the parts and assembling them.

Since you've built 2 before, you sure know how much fun it is. For my 2 cents, I'd rather have the fun building it, even if you go a little overboard on the budget.

Thanks Michael. I did some due diligence and came up with a list of parts. I then talked to Benny Hill who worked my M2. His parts list was close to mine except trigger (I knew I couldn't do the JP). His price wasn't a pile higher than it would have been for me to build it from scratch and a good bit less than JP or the other builders I priced so I have ordered it. My travel schedule heats up next week again and when I get back I would rather shoot than chase parts.

That seems like a solid plan to me. I look forward to a range report and some pictures.

I think that even if you order a "custom 3 gun rifle" you will end up making some changes to it. I know that I did, and I think that it's better for it. It's gotta fit you for you to be great with it.

Guys the next 2 months I am on the road. The gun will be going together with the parts I specified. When I get back the gun will be here, ready for me to shoot. They are even mounting my scope for me.

Sure I could build it. But I doubt I could even get moving before 1 November and by then my siuation will have likely changed. I would rather have the gun, ready to shoot on 1 Nov than end up waiting 30 days to get all my parts in and screw it together.

Then there is the benifit of having Benny Hill install the trigger, time the gas system, and tuen the compensator. Yes, it will cost me more, but for me, given my situation, time has value.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that if you buy the whole thing at once, even if it has everything you want, you're going to spend over $100 at the minimum just in additional taxes even for a pretty cheap build as far as competition rifles goes, and it could be quite a bit more. If you buy it separately you're only taxed on the lower and whatever parts comes with it, if any. If having somebody else build it all, at least ask if they can sell you the lower and upper separately to minimize taxes. The opinion of the legality and morality of this varies between builders though.

You can also shop around for sales on the individual parts.

Only thing to watch out for when building is the layaway mentality. I've talked to several people who built a rifle over time then afterwards was bragging that they got it dirt cheap. Well, they didn't, it just felt like that since they didn't buy everything all at once.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Build it!! You can put all the parts you desire in it the first time and save yourself some coin in the process!!!! I dont think i'll ever buy a complete rifle again!!!!

Well, it sounds like the OP already decided, but my $.02 is that even if you THINK every thing you desire is going onto a custom build, as your skills change, the things you think are perfect change too. My rifles evolve at a slow constant, as I experiment to figure out what works best for me at my current level. So my dream rifle right now will probably be 25% different parts 3 years from now. A package built rifle is probably fine for a beginner, but no 2 shooters will find that at their peak level that one rifle is perfect for both. I just get used to the fact that gear experiments are PART of 3gun.

Tom

I have built 3 ARs now, and it was pretty satisfying. They go together pretty easily, and there are lots of tutorial resources online. Getting all of the parts from this vendor, that vendor, then that other vendor is tedious and adds to the cost. But buying a receiver now on sale, later a barrel, then a trigger, etc spreads the cost out and makes it seem painless. If you don't do this one, might try the next as a hobby project.

The problem with building is that you want to do it again when a part is available at a deal price. I now periodically have an upper or lower or trigger in an online "shopping cart" that I delete, because I eventually come to my senses and realize that 5 ARs is probably enough. :)

I have built 3 ARs now, and it was pretty satisfying. They go together pretty easily, and there are lots of tutorial resources online. Getting all of the parts from this vendor, that vendor, then that other vendor is tedious and adds to the cost. But buying a receiver now on sale, later a barrel, then a trigger, etc spreads the cost out and makes it seem painless. If you don't do this one, might try the next as a hobby project.

The problem with building is that you want to do it again when a part is available at a deal price. I now periodically have an upper or lower or trigger in an online "shopping cart" that I delete, because I eventually come to my senses and realize that 5 ARs is probably enough. :)

This is so true. It was supposed to be one for me, but I have two, one ready to put together and various other parts to make a 4th. All this after I donated one to my brother( law enforcement).