Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Diabetic

bountyhunter

Totally sucks. I have been borderline diabetic for some years, and treated it with diet (cut back on sugar and carbs). haven't had a potato in the house for at least 12 months, no rice, no pasta, little bread. An Irishman giving up potatoes is like a junkie trying to kick heroin.

Anyway, been getting really bad in the last couple of months. The worst symptom is peeing every hour because you can't get any sleep that way. So I buy one of those electronic blood glucose checking machines (normal glucose is under about 140). Fist day I rang up a 175, really cut out all carbs and just ate protein and vegetables and got it down to about 125 for a few days. Yesterday I ate right except had one piece of candy left over from halloween. At 9PM I rang up a 275 reading! If that thing was pinball machine, I would have ten free games by now with my scores.

Bountyhunter,

I feel your pain, Had my gluecose level checked a year ago mine was way high. I have been doing the same thing, Trying to control it with exercise and diet. Mine stays around 110. But when I first had it checked it would go from 200,300 back to 100. Same thing. I've just about had it! And it does suck! Probably will have to go on medication, Hate it! :angry::angry:

Ivan

I've got a family history. Can I find out quickly and easily if there is a problem? I don't want to wait until I'm sick.

Ask your doctor to run the appropriate blood work. He'll ask for a fasting (12+ hours) blood sugar first. If it's high, he'll probably order a glucose tolerance and/or hemoglobin A1C. The latter is the definitive test because it correlates to long term blood glucose levels (like 3-6 months).

After a 12 hour fast, your blood glucose should be 80-120 mg/dL.

Sam - find someone you know that has a testing meter. A simple finger poke and you'll know within seconds where you're at.

I wish I had all y'alls problems. I've been on 3 different types of oral meds AND insulin for about a year and a half now, I'm still looking like a pinball machine.

Not only that, but dammit, I've lost nearly 50 lbs and I exercise and it's still all over the map - those bastids told me losing weight and exercising would drop it - phooey - all that work for nuffing :ph34r:

Glucose tolerance tests are the work of the devil. :angry:

Been there, done that, was incapacitated for 24 hours following. They didn't warn me about what was coming so I did the whole thing and then walked 2 miles home. I was in college at the time and living on Ramen noodles with no money for gas or anything else. By the time I got home I couldn't focus my eyes and my CNS was shutting down. Luckily my girlfriend at the time was a paramedic and was waiting for me when I got home. No clue what she did but it took me a long time to snap out of it.

End result? Borderline hypoglycemic, probably due to my diet at the time. They call it "Student Death" for a reason around there.

My cousin's wife and oldest son were subjected to this horror last summer and she ended up in the hospital overnight because they weren't monitored properly. She was found in the middle of the floor in convulsions about half way through. Kid was fine other than having to watch mom in convulsions.

If you must take one take something to eat with you and have it ready and waiting in the car. When they release you from Glucose hell you will need something in your gut. Go sit down and eat your lunch slowly with plenty of fluid. I would also suggest a designated driver.

Maybe they do things differently elsewhere but you would have to hold a large gun on me to get me to take another one.

Guest Larry Cazes

Glucose tolerance tests are just about a thing of the past. Hemoblobin A1C is pretty standard and can be done with a standard blood draw and tells you your average blood glucose over the last 3 months. I was diagnosed with Type ii about 8 years ago and after 3 years of medication got mine under control with just diet and exercise but just this last spring had a high HG A1C again and have been taking medication since then. :( Sure is depressing. Hang in there your not alone!

Doctor visit? Hmmm, bummer. Only Doctor visiting I ever do is with that sawbones shooting buddy of mine. B) They have these local health fair blood draws around here. I'll see if I can find one. Thanks for the advice everybody.

Kath, you lost 50 pounds? Wow, you must really rock now! Keep it up, grrl. Fitness always helps when the unexpected happens.

Kimel, I've had this problem before. I gotta eat or I'll kill little animals and prey on their raw flesh.

Bounty~ I feel your pain man, it does suck. I see what my mom goes through all the time, and it is depressing. She was diagnosed with it about 4 years ago and it has been a journey ever since. I would highly recommend that you do pay close attention to yourself and your blood sugar level, as ignoring it, and how you feel can turn very bad. After the second time I can home to find my mom unconscious and blue she decided it was time to start taking better care of herself. There were some very speedy trips to the hosptial involved and I am very glad that she has regulated herself better.

I'm guessing I should probably cancel the Wonder Bread, Potato, Cotton Candy, and Donut Eating Contest I had scheduled for us, huh?

As Larry mentioned, the hemoglobin A1C is the definitive diagnostic. You can get some ideas from finger stick glucose levels, but you have to do it over a long period of time as each measurement is a snapshot of your actual level. The h A1C tells the story for several month's time.

Another thing is that glucose levels need to be measured consistently. The 80-120 mg/dL range is only applicable to 12+ hours fasts. A couple of hours after you eat, it should be higher than that. Obviously if you're hitting 300, 400, or 500+ you've got a serious problem that requires immediate attention, but a person who hits 175 a couple of hours after he eats, then goes to normal atfer a while isn't anything unusual.

The key to managing diabetes isn't really the absolute number, although you do have to get it as low as you can. The key is to do what it takes to keep it as consistent as possible.

Doctor visit? Hmmm, bummer. Only Doctor visiting I ever do is with that sawbones shooting buddy of mine. B) They have these local health fair blood draws around here. I'll see if I can find one. Thanks for the advice everybody.

If you've got symptoms (like excessive thirst and/or urination, changes in vision, feeling like you have the flu), then you really need to go to the doctor. The sticks they'll do that the local health fair are great as far as they go, but you need to get your blood drawn after a 12 hour fast. Plus, there's not a chance in heck you can get a hemoglobin A1C test done under those circumstances because they cost several hundred dollars (insurance will definitely pay for it if you have some).

The longer you wait, the worse it's going to get. The longer you wait, the more damage it can do. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to make the necessary lifestyle changes to manage it.

The sooner you get it done, the sooner you will know. The sooner you know, the less damage it can do to your body. The sooner you get started, the easier it will be to make the changes you need to make to manage it.

Doctor visit?  Hmmm, bummer.  Only Doctor visiting I ever do is with that sawbones shooting buddy of mine.  B)  They have these local health fair blood draws around here.  I'll see if I can find one.    Thanks for the advice everybody.

If you've got symptoms (like excessive thirst and/or urination, changes in vision, feeling like you have the flu), then you really need to go to the doctor. The sticks they'll do that the local health fair are great as far as they go, but you need to get your blood drawn after a 12 hour fast. Plus, there's not a chance in heck you can get a hemoglobin A1C test done under those circumstances because they cost several hundred dollars (insurance will definitely pay for it if you have some).

The longer you wait, the worse it's going to get. The longer you wait, the more damage it can do. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to make the necessary lifestyle changes to manage it.

The sooner you get it done, the sooner you will know. The sooner you know, the less damage it can do to your body. The sooner you get started, the easier it will be to make the changes you need to make to manage it.

In case you guys are wondering, the other side of the fence is no better. I found out in February that I am hypoglycemic. The treatment, ironically enough, is roughly the same as for diabetes. Luckily, I am controlling it through diet and exercise for now. It takes a lot of work to keep my weight down. I need to lose what I've gained over the last couple of months. It is difficult with the large leg muscles out of the aerobic playring. I am looking forward to having my leg healed.

L

Thanks for your insight Rhino and all. I will get this checked. Not that I'm terribly worried, but I know it runs in the family and I've never had it checked. Time to do it, it only makes sense.

Besides........I get thirsty and have too pee....like.... every day! :wacko:

Rhino, you sound like a good internist. What he said.

Thanks! ;)

I actually tried to go to med school back in early 1994. They let me know my presence was not desired for some pretty weak reasons. In retrospect, I think "they" unwittingly did me a favor, as I would not enjoy the business & bureaucratic aspects of the medical field. You guys and gals who are able to continue to help people in spite of the obstacles to actual patient care have a lot of respect from this guy.

Sam - find someone you know that has a testing meter. A simple finger poke and you'll know within seconds where you're at.

I wish I had all y'alls problems. I've been on 3 different types of oral meds AND insulin for about a year and a half now, I'm still looking like a pinball machine.

Not only that, but dammit, I've lost nearly 50 lbs and I exercise and it's still all over the map - those bastids told me losing weight and exercising would drop it - phooey - all that work for nuffing :ph34r:

Buy yourself a blood machine. less than $20. Everybody should have one because most idiots like me don't know until they feel sick which means it has been running high for years by then.

In case you guys are wondering, the other side of the fence is no better. I found out in February that I am hypoglycemic.

L

That ain't good but it is WAYYYY better than diabetes. The high sugar levels of diabetes destroy all your blood vessels leading to loss of vision, feet and hands amputated, kidneys fail (they have tiny blood vessels). I'd trade for hypoglycemia.

BY THE WAY.... some of you who think you have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) are actually diabetic. Insulin resistant diabetes (what 99% of us old farts develop if we get diabetic) degrades the way your cells can use the glucose. Insulin is what catalyzes the process so the cell can break down the glucose. As cells get resistant, the cells are able to burn less of it and glucose levels rise. The new drugs like glucophage specifically target helping the cells burn glucose.

So, we get the worst of both: high glucose levels destroying our body, but fatigue, weakness and shakes because our cells are not able to use the glucose for energy as well as they should. I used to eat some carbs before shooting to prevent "the shakes" I would get and it never worked.

And BTW: high glucose levels give you the shakes and makes you feel "amped up" like too much caffeine does.

Let's hope you stay that way! A lot of type II diabetics were hypoglycemic "before."

You are correct. I was in that group. The bummer is I was incorrectly thinking the fatigue and shakes was from that so I ate carbs to fix it (like throwing gasoline on the fire). I feel way better if I eat mostly lean proteins like chicken, turkey, lean beef and pork, and vegetables.

I saw an ad on TV yesterday about a new drug for chemo patients that increases white blood cell count. My immediate thought was - why don't they test and market it to diabetics? I mean criminy, a few extra WBC's to help the glucose in to the RBC's should do wonders for us... what do y'all think?