Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber checker failures and fixing them.

Glock26Toter

So, I've been chamber checking my rounds for quite some time. I usually just do a "failed" box that builds up after a while and then I shoot them. I've never actually had a round that failed chamber check fail to feed... aside from the maybe 1 or 2 bad cases, or missing/flipped primer you find.

Anyways, I've recently dicovered what exactly is causing almost ALL of the failed chamber checked rounds. It's head rim problems. I can fix whatever rounds I want just by putting a set of small channel locks on the rim of the head (you know, the part the extractor grabs.) and spinning it so as to remove any burrs. The round then fits.

The question I have is, does anybody else see this? and I'm thinking about blowing this off and letting those rounds go into the GOOD bucket. No, I'm not going to "fix" each round either.

I figure the really smart thing to do is keep tossing those into the practice bucket, but just thought I would get some opinions.

thanks.

I see this also. While I am chamber checking, and find a potentially burred rim, I turn it around and stick the rim in my case gauge. Give it a few turns and chamber check it again. This normally corrects it. I normally have ~5% of my reloads rejected, usually because they do not fall free from the case gauge. I usually shoot those on a practice day... Depending on the reject.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the 7 round blocks from EGW to check my 9 & 40. If the rounds pass in the EGW blocks they should work in anything from Glocks to tight STIs. Anything that looks questionable I just set aside in a jug for practice time. I gauge everything I load as it gives me one last look to find an issue (high primers, flipped primers, split necks, etc.). Then I know my match ammo is GTG and my practice ammo is also GTG. Days where I am not pressed for time I burn up the "questionable" stuff so if I do have issues, it's no big deal, time-wise.

I've recently started running into brass that has the lower third bulged out a little. It wouldn't drop all the way into the case checker (egw). I did two things, first I picked up a lee undersized decapping and sizing die, second I've tried to only shoot nickel brass (assuming the majority of that is truly once fired). Since then not a problem round in the bunch. Plus the rounds look a lot cooler! Lol