Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr.Bullet Feeder "No Like Cast Bullets"

Anyone having issues with using Mr. Bullet Feeder and cast bullets ??? The Cast bullets get caught on the ball bearing on the dopper right at the wax ring... And they seem to not drop in correctly, usually nose down ...

I need to see if lowering the ball bearing to the first set of holes will help out ... This is 40sw loading 200gr cast bullets

i have used talcum powder, very small amount tumble the bullets in a coffee can and it worked awesome.

It works when I use bear creeks but these new cast bullets I have doesnt seem to work... the ball bearings seem to catch the bullets at the wax ring and it jams the dropper...

If they are upside down it from the collator. Experiment with the nose guide and try the .40 guide.

I use mica and put them in a bullet box and shake them up, coating them. It helps if you can go through the bullets and find the fat overlubed ones and sort them out.

Good luck,

DougC

If they are upside down it from the collator. Experiment with the nose guide and try the .40 guide.

I use mica and put them in a bullet box and shake them up, coating them. It helps if you can go through the bullets and find the fat overlubed ones and sort them out.

Good luck,

DougC

Doug;

Thats the thing they are even fat or overlubed rings... I'll give the baby or talcum powder a try to night. Thanks for the info...

As for the nose down issue Ive tried adjusting it and even adjusting the way the bullet feeder is angled at... still no good...

Good luck,

DougC

Doug;

Thats the thing they are even fat or overlubed rings... I'll give the baby or talcum powder a try to night. Thanks for the info...

As for the nose down issue Ive tried adjusting it and even adjusting the way the bullet feeder is angled at... still no good...

Have you tried moly coated bullets? Or is that what we are talking about?

Good luck,

DougC

Doug;

Have you tried moly coated bullets? Or is that what we are talking about?

Yes I was loading 40sw Bear Creeks and it worked perfectly ... but with Hard Cast is where I'm having problems

I had problems with upside down and sticking in the bullet dropper, Put some mica powder in bullet box and tumbled bullets and problems went away.

LOL I didnt have mica powder ... only had an over stock of baby powder ... Everytime I shot a round thru my gun, it would smell like baby powder...

I still was having issues with the bullet not turning correctly but with the powder coated bullets they are working in the bullet feeder ... I would still get a jam maybe 1 or 2 out of every 100rds...

I had problems with upside down and sticking in the bullet dropper, Put some mica powder in bullet box and tumbled bullets and problems went away.

LOL I didnt have mica powder ... only had an over stock of baby powder ... Everytime I shot a round thru my gun, it would smell like baby powder...

I still was having issues with the bullet not turning correctly but with the powder coated bullets they are working in the bullet feeder ... I would still get a jam maybe 1 or 2 out of every 100rds...

You may have to clean the dropper more often.

I've loaded thousands of Precision Bullets (moly coated) without a problem. I also loaded 1K of lead without a problem and when I started on the next box I had all sorts of problems with it. I realized later that I had construction dust get in the boxes I didn't have a problem with, I used canned air to blow out the dust, but obviously enough stuck to the wax to make it more reliable. I never tried the mica or baby powder, but I can only assume that would have an identical effect and be way easier on the gun in the long run!

• 1 month later...

This info was from Rick @ MrBulletFeeder, spray some silicone in the collator and bullet dropper.

Cool I'll try that

Also try powdered Mica not talcum powder. The thing about talcum is that it will absorb moisture out of the air, which is not desirable. Mica won't do that (according to Rick of MBF fame anyway :) )

The mica you can get from Midway. I have the same problem and after using the mica MBF still does not really like cast bullets but things got a lot better anyway.

Not nearly so many misfed bullets and the wax did not come off so readily and gunk up my bullet path.

I would try about 1/8 teaspoon of the mica for 200-300 bullets in a plastic bowl or something and shake them around until it coats them really well then try in your MBF and see if that helps.

Edited by dferrier

• 2 months later...

I emailed Rick to ask if the MR.B die would feed lead cast and he said yes. So ordered the die in .45 because I really like the design. I hope it works! I've got a homemade collator, much like his KISS collator, that I use with a Hornady die. It works almost perfectly. I do get the occasional bullet that doesn't drop but it is rare. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Hornady die is that to empty it I have to cycle cases through until it is empty. The die itself holds ~7 bullets, depending on the size. I like that you can just push up on the bottom of the Mr.B die and dump everything in the feed tube. My Mr.B die hasn't arrived yet, ordered it last week.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed Rick to ask if the MR.B die would feed lead cast and he said yes. So ordered the die in .45 because I really like the design. I hope it works! I've got a homemade collator, much like his KISS collator, that I use with a Hornady die. It works almost perfectly. I do get the occasional bullet that doesn't drop but it is rare. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Hornady die is that to empty it I have to cycle cases through until it is empty. The die itself holds ~7 bullets, depending on the size. I like that you can just push up on the bottom of the Mr.B die and dump everything in the feed tube. My Mr.B die hasn't arrived yet, ordered it last week.

Just wanted to post a followup. I received my MBF drop die and couldn't be happier with it's operation. I'm using .452 cast bullets and it runs without a single issue. I don't lube bullets any more because I PC them so I can't speak to how it handles wax lubed bullets. Based on the design I don't see that it would be a problem. I have no doubt that it will handle lubed bullets better than the Hornady that I had on it because the design of the Hornady lends itself to getting clogged with gunk pretty easily. The Hornady did well but was fickle. The MBF doesn't care. The bullets can be oversized or undersized and it works flawlessly. If a cast bullet was a couple thousandths over or under the Hornady would either doublefeed or not feed at all.

EXTREMELY pleased with the MBF.

An update for me ...

I gave up on loading hard cast waxed bullets with the MBF. It just didnt work well. I ended up doing it manually. And finished all of my hard cast. I finally have a steady supply of Bear Creeks which runs perfect in my MBF and can load 300 rds in less than 10 - 15 minutes...

So everything is peachy unless I run out of Bear Creek again... I hope not I have 17k worth of bullets and have another 5K on its way ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...