Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with my Kadet kit after action job on 75B SA...

boomer mooner

I recently had an action job done on my 75B SA and had the FB removed and the gun is super sweet to shoot now. Went to the range over the weekend and after burning up all my 9mm ammo I pulled out the Kadet kit.

Before the action job the Kadet was probably the most reliable 22 pistol I've ever owned. Now I load a round, fire with no problem, ejects and feeds the next round with no problem, but when I pull the trigger it won't go bang. I later found I could just thumb the hammer back, pull the trigger and it would fire. Even though I can see the rim has been hit it won't fire unless it's either the first round racked by hand or if I thumb the hammer back.

One other problem I'm having with only one of the four magazines. It jams frequently, and by jam I mean the spent case gets jammed up above the round that is being fed into the chamber.

Any help would be appreciated. I should also add this is with Blazer .22 lr ammo.

I love my CZs but I don't get the allure of the Kadet kit. I sold my Kadet kit because it needed such a heavy spring for reliable ignition, it resulted in a single action pull of over 4.3 lbs. The shadows break at under 3 lbs. The kadet had no value as a training tool with the heavy break. We'd rather shoot the buckmark and Mark 3, which have very nice triggers.

For me - having that heavy pull made the transition to when I had the light trigger pull w/ the feel even lighter spring easier.

It's really helped me get my draw time + first shot time down because it feels so light compared to the trigger I use for dry fire and for range practice (I'm using the heavier pull spring in dry fire also).

Some brands of 22 may work better than others - I got pretty good results with 22 AutoMatch from Federal and terrible results with regular CCI - but yes it is the hammer spring and even a small reduction will matter. It might be possible to slightly modify the firing pin to get more energy to the primer - polishing will help, some.

Edited by Solvability

Yep, installed lighter hammer spring. Crud. That makes shooting the .22 kit a lot less convenient.

That's why I sold my .22 conversions: good triggers = bad ignition, crap triggers = reliable ignition, besides I can reload 9mm for the price of .22 ammo. I much prefer the Buckmark to the Ruger, the grip angle is closer to the CZ (Ruger is more like a Glock) and the trigger fulcrum of the Ruger is too far forward of the trigger, creating an up-and-back trigger stroke (same with their Model 77 rifles).

Yep, installed lighter hammer spring. Crud. That makes shooting the .22 kit a lot less convenient.

That's why I sold my .22 conversions: good triggers = bad ignition, crap triggers = reliable ignition, besides I can reload 9mm for the price of .22 ammo. I much prefer the Buckmark to the Ruger, the grip angle is closer to the CZ (Ruger is more like a Glock) and the trigger fulcrum of the Ruger is too far forward of the trigger, creating an up-and-back trigger stroke (same with their Model 77 rifles).

I prefer the buckmark as well for the same reason.

If your gun is SAO, you can go to heavier spring and keep a good trigger.

my Kadet steel challenge gun was set up with 17# hammer spring and 2.25-2.5 SAO trigger. ran everything I had in my inventory of .22 ammo.

but true..cannot have a DA/SA with trigger job and expect to run the Kadet. Just not going to happen.

Stu summed it up well.... I moved to dedicated sao frames for my kadet setup. I run 22lb Wolff springs and still have a killer trigger. I do believe the hammer could crush a good sized rock on it's way in and STILL light off the primer.

It's an expensive setup though... I probably wohldnt be as interested if I wasn't steeped so heavy in cz logistics.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

I did what Stuart said--put a 17# spring in the gun, left it converted to single action only, and run the gun with the 22 Kadet slide almost 100% of the time, but would gladly run it in ESP at our local IDPA matches with the 9mm slide. I have over 23k rounds through mine and it only stops when the firing pin hole fills with crud or the ramp is so crudded up that a new round won't feed.

Your Kadet will NOT run 100% with a hammer spring lighter than 17#.

Joe