Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to use for "Polishing" on trigger job

Brent D

Can anyone help with what tools/materials to use for "polishing" when working on my Shadow trigger. I want to touch up a few of the polished areas that were already done at the custom shop when I purchased it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the input, and I agree about the trigger that was done on my Shadow Custom, it is very nice. I wanted to polish the sides of the trigger bow as it wasn't done. I don't know if it should have been, but wanted to see if it would make any small difference in the DA pull. I just did it with 600 grit paper, and as you noted, couldn't get all the machine marks out, but I didn't try to either. I followed it up with a felt pad and polish using my Dremmell. Looks great!, but when all was back together, didn't really do much, but may have smoothed it out a touch.

The custom shop polishes a bunch of parts that when put together yield improvements.

Singular modifications to parts after they've been polished will be almost imperceptible. The biggest gain is actually shooting the gun and continuing the "bedding" process so to speak.

As an aside, when polishing the sides of the trigger bow make sure you lay it flat on a piece of glass with the polishing medium on the glass as well.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the outside surfaces of the trigger bow rubs up against the frame of the gun. Therefore in order to get the smoothest feeling DA trigger pull possible, the surfaces on the frame where the trigger bow rubs should also be polished.