Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which caliber do you use to make major?

DrLove

I would think it to be more useful if 38Super and 9 Major were separated. They are 2 different creatures with dedicated followings and to be blunt I don't like be lumped in with those 9 guys! :devil:

Well, I kind of shoot both and that's why I lumped them:)

Revo major: .45 ACP is an utter kitten. With a 200 or 230 grain, you could make major with Titewad if you really wanted, though I learned depending on the gun it can be even tougher to find a bullet profile to pull off really slick reloads. There's a particular profile of 230 that has a lip above the driving band that tends to bugger things, and there's a profile that doesn't. The flat points can also work, but if you get too stubby things start to bind again... As a bonus, 230gn RN usually feeds great in 1911-shaped guns, including my Sig.

40 major: I have a .40 cal and I've developed loads for it. A 180 grain LFP makes major pretty handily with a variety of powders, but I'm not built up enough technologically or mentally for Limited...

Revo major: .45 ACP is an utter kitten.

You need to talk to all the revo shooters who say shooting major is beating them to death. Somehow dropping the PF from 165 to 160 for revolver will solve this problem for them. :blink:

Without specifying a division the information will be usless.

Open you will find 95+% are either 9mm or 38super

Limited will be 95% 40sw ant get there with a 9 or 38

L10 will be a more even split between 40 and 45

Single stack will be mostly 45 with a growing number of 40's

Revolver will be 95% 45ACP with some 40's, 10's, 357's and one 45 colt

Production will all be I dont need to make major.

Mike

forgot to add that for me it's

Open 357sig (because its different)

Limited 40sw and sometimes 10mm

L10 see Limited

SS 45

Revo 45acp

Production no need

Edited by bikerburgess

Revo major: .45 ACP is an utter kitten.

You need to talk to all the revo shooters who say shooting major is beating them to death. Somehow dropping the PF from 165 to 160 for revolver will solve this problem for them. :blink:

I've used a 4 inch 625 for a little while now, and I love it. I'd only get some minor bruising in the webbing of my thumb after four stages with Eagle Secret Service grips. Once I upgraded to the flat-fronted, untextured Hogue square butt conversion grips that went away. It should be even easier to make major with a 5" gun, which seems far more popular in USPSA and ICORE.

Bearing down on an object that is moving is bound to cause some level of discomfort at some point. When I shoot production, my grip tape sometimes does a number on the insides of my fingers. When I reload enough, I sometimes get Dillon Hand from the knob. When I have my earmuffs on all day in the summer, my ears get a little rank...

Next thing you know they'll complain that the frags in steel challenge are too much and they should move the targets at least 50 yards out.

Edited by thermobollocks

Mike

L10 see Limited

SS 45

Revo 45acp

Production no need

I knew it was you Mike once I read the 357sig thing:) You're right, I should have divided this by division to get some more insight into this... Yet, seems your estimates are pretty close indeed...

Mike

L10 see Limited

SS 45

Revo 45acp

Production no need

I knew it was you Mike once I read the 357sig thing:) You're right, I should have divided this by division to get some more insight into this... Yet, seems your estimates are pretty close indeed...

Yep you caught me.

I know you have been playing with open lately and there the bigest question is 9mm or 38 super and there are good reasons to run both of them, the super has more case capacity so you have a larger selection of powders to make major with, it can be easier to get guns to run well with super as well, 9mm has cheap brass and there are enough powders that work that it shouldnt be a problem, and with a well built gun and possibly a 90deg sight mount getting one that runs well is not that hard, one advatage to a 9mm is you can also run factory ammo at minor PF if you get behind on the reloading, you may need to change the springs to get it to run right at minor though.

Mike