Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Guns--Help

minnesota1

I currently have a G17 and a G37(yes I like it). I had a G34 but everytime I shot the 34 and 17 together in a match I would continually do better with the 17. So I sold the 34.

I am mainly a revolver shooter :ph34r: and maybe the recoil of the 17 is closer to the revolvers. Anyway, It looks like I won a glock in a competition and I was thinking about a model 22 or 35(upgrade fee). I just moved into Texas and I do not know anyone to ask to try theirs. So, could you guys give me your opinion about the two guns and if anyone has had the experience of shooting better with the 17 over the 34 and if you think this would be the same with the 22 and 35? :(

I plan to use them for IPSC. I want to try that sport out. I do not fully understand the whole major minor thing but would the .40 qualify for the major? Or would it be better then to just use a 9mm? I would like to shoot basic stock classes in IPSC. I think they are limited 10 and Production so which glock guns would you recommend for these and why?

Thanks a lot.

Bob

If you are in Texas, you will be shooting USPSA (which is what IPSC is called in the U.S.)

In Production Division, all gun are scored as Minor Power Factor. Very 9mm friendly. USPSA Production is also limited to 10 rounds in the mags, and Production is for guns with a double-action first shot (Glock, Beretta, Sig, and the like)

In Limted Division, you can be scored as Major Power Factor. The rules say the ammo has to be at least 0.400 caliber to even qualify. You can use hicaps (up to 140mm long) to their capacity.

Limited 10 is just like Limited, except there is a limit of 10 rounds allowed in the mags.

Either of the 40 caliber Glocks will be a lot more "snappy" than the 9mm glocks (with factory ammo, or reloads at Major).

Bob,

I can't comment on the 9mm Glocks, but I just got into USPSA shooting about 18 months ago and recently switched from a Para LDA to a G35. I really like it, and while I don't get much practice I am slowly getting a little better with it. I went with the 35 just becuase I already had all the stuff to reload .40s and didn't want to add another caliber.

If you won one, and I don't know what the upgrade fee is I would say go for the 35 as you can trick it up for limited with little expense or still shoot it in production if you don't want to make lots of mods. There are lots of threads here on that subject. The 22s are nice also.

I don't know where you are in Texas, but if you are in the San Antonio area and make it to any of the matches around town you are more than welcome to try mine.

Good luck with your decision and welcome to Texas.

I would chose the G35 for Limited & Limited-10 division. Change out the factory sights for Dawson.

The G34 would be a great choice for Production division. The longer sight radius and a well balance gun. Since you have own one and sold it, no need to go back to the drawing board.

If you plan on shooting LTD or LTD-10 then a major cal is necessary due to the scoring penalties for shooting a minor cal gun. The G35 might be a bit more suited for IPSC than the G22, but only because of the sight radius. Either can be tricked out for LTD, LTD-10 or kept stock (only a few mods allowed) for Production.

If you get into reloading and decide Production is your game then there are some differences between a 40 and a 9mm. The 40 is softer (less snappy) but seems to take longer to cycle. Some people (me for one) like the 40 because it takes less to keep the sights aligned during recoil. BUT you must begin to reload to take advantage of the power factor decrease (factory 40 ammo is overkill for Production). Otherwise the 9mm is just as good for Production.

To really get back to your question, the thing that matters most is practice. Spend most of your time on practice-dry fire, live fire and matches. The rest will fall into place. If you stick with IPSC long enough and learn about its ins and outs it will teach you how to shoot anything well.

For now, you might just choose to shoot your 9mm in Production and wait to see what Division you really would like to compete in. Hold off for a bit on a decision and see if a few months of hanging around some IPSC shooters helps in your descion process. I think the upgrade fee on a Glock certificate for a G34/35 is worth it, but if you have it in your head that the longer slide is not to your liking, then get the G22 and spend the extra bucks on practice ammo.

Hope I helped.

Someone just told me about a rule in IPSC or USPS that there is a 5 lb trigger rule. Which one is it? I usually put a 3.5# connector in the gun to losen it up and help the usually hard pull. Will this be illegal?

Thanks,

Bob

There are no trigger weight rules in USPSA...IPSC has the 5lbs. rule

Even with a 3.5# connector,, the trigger pull is more than 5#, so don't worry :)

Actually,

Of the three years I have shot Production (including the Nationals), the first two years I used a G17! I put one of those Bomar's over the back end of the slide so I had the sight radius of a G34/35, but the barrel length was unchanged.

I would go with the 35. I have both the 22 and the 35, but for competition I would go with the 35 for a few reasons. One it comes with the 3.5 connector already, no biggie but nothing to sneeze at, also with an open top slide you can get a second barrel that is ported and shoot in 2 classes, the extra weight out front is a help. Last thing I would suggest is getting a 13lbs IMSI spring and using that, you will find recovery is much faster.

Jim

Well the recoil is softer in so far as the slide not slamming home so hard that it is what I call counter recoil. All I can say is try it and I know you will like it. Personally I use IMSI springs and guide rods.

For a long time I was using too much spring, but after trying the gamut I have found the best control with the lightest spring to do the job, and with the Glock the frame foes flex and is not nearly as susceptible to frame battering as a steal gun.

A lighter recoil spring will disturb your sight picture less when the slide moves forward because the energy stored in the spring is less. Of course this also means that the energy it did not store (on the way back after the shot) was disipated thru the shooter by the time the slide stopped moving rearward...... :blink: .......hmmm seems like either way you slice it, the shooter had to disipate the energy..... <_<

The reality is everyone "sees" this energy and the gun movement a bit different. Some like a fast action, some like a slow one. The same thing goes for powders and head selection. They also affect how you "see" the recoil. I am sure a lot has been discussed in the forums about this. And everyone has an opinion. What I tell new shooters is this............pick something to your liking, then PRACTICE...............a lot.

I have shot a fair amount with just about every Glock out there. I'm not surprised that you found the Glock 17 better than the 34. This is the same way I feel. I found that the 34 had more muzzle flip than the 17. The 17 just doesn't move in the hand. I also ran into the same issue with the 17L's. The 35 doesn't seem to have the same issue though. It seems to have less flip, although they both have much more than the 9mm, than the 22. I think the 22 and 35 are a couple of the most versatile guns in USPSA. They are competetive in Production (with light loads), L10 and Limited.

Another thing to consider would be other sports you are considering. If you shoot GSSF the 17 is a natural for Amateur Civilian. The 35 would work very well in competition class.