Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with my Beretta (my fault)

amlamarra

I got my Beretta M9 a few months ago. I put about 150 rounds through it before I found out how to polish some internal parts for smoother trigger pulls. So I did that & replaced the hammer spring with the D model spring for lighter DA trigger pulls. I now plan on shooting IDPA with this gun. The problem is, the slide doesn’t always lock back. I stupidly decided to polish the part of the slide lock that actually holds it back so releasing the slide is a bit easier. Well even though I only polished it a bit, sometimes the slide just doesn’t lock back. It happens about once every 3-4 mags. It’s a much less frequent occurrence with my 17 round mags so I’ll be using those.

I’m probably just going to buy a new slide lock, but the problem is, I’m shooting an IDPA match tomorrow. So I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for this.

Edit: I also just thought about the fact that my thumb may be holding down the Slide lock. I'll have to pay attention to that. You know what, just ignore everything I said. I'm gonna go kick myself now.

Edited by amlamarra

it takes time to get back into battery vs just dumping and slappin a new mag in....of course you have to keep count so you are sure you are not empty.

ok. well if you are at a point where you have lost count of rounds, the recoil on an empty chamber feels the same with no slide lock, and i see countless people aim and pull the trigger before the realize they are empty. it wastes so many seconds.

So my question is, what is the advantages of having the slide not lock back?

In IDPA you are often are required to shoot to "slide lock." My thumb often "rides" the slide lock lever and it doesn't hold the slide back on the empty gun - requiring me to rack the slide (and wasting time). In USPSA and Steel shooting the goal is never to go to "slide lock."

In IDPA you are often are required to shoot to "slide lock." My thumb often "rides" the slide lock lever and it doesn't hold the slide back on the empty gun - requiring me to rack the slide (and wasting time). In USPSA and Steel shooting the goal is never to go to "slide lock."

Glad you got it sorted out....

For my 92FS, the culprit is usually the magazine. Number each of them, if issues arise, note which one, set it aside and debug later.

Slight topic drift. but WHY is there an interest in no slide lock? I see thats a trending thing among shooters just want to know the logic behind it.

I believe the intent of a disabled slide lock is not to prevent it from locking back when empty (which of course is one of the results of disabling it) but prevention of accidentally locking it back prematurely by bumping it which is a bad thing in the middle of a stage.

Slight topic drift. but WHY is there an interest in no slide lock? I see thats a trending thing among shooters just want to know the logic behind it.

I believe the intent of a disabled slide lock is not to prevent it from locking back when empty (which of course is one of the results of disabling it) but prevention of accidentally locking it back prematurely by bumping it which is a bad thing in the middle of a stage.

DING DING DING. Thats the answer Ive been waiting for.

I shoot thumbs forward and that can be an issue, so the solution was to cut off the slide release on the left side of the gun (M&P is Ambi)

and smooth up the internals just enough so that when you slam in a loaded mag, the slide drops stripping the first round off.

This way I have the best of both worlds. I dont accidentally lock myself out of battery during a COF and if I accidentally run dry my slide lock reloads are just as fast as a normal reload.

So this was my first IDPA match today. Had a blast. Best of all, my slide locked back each time I ran out of ammo. I managed to keep count so it didn't surprise me. Just changing my grip helped.