Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a good practice?

papan

I would say no. Getting used to shooting small targets is fine but you need to know EXACTLY were the A-Zone is. That means shooting a full target over and over and learning from experience / mistakes where that perforated line is.

By making a target just the A... all you have to do is put a round on paper and you're good.

I would say no. Getting used to shooting small targets is fine but you need to know EXACTLY were the A-Zone is. That means shooting a full target over and over and learning from experience / mistakes where that perforated line is.

You make a good point.

By making a target just the A... all you have to do is put a round on paper and you're good.

I've always heard it said that your target is not the entire silhouette, only the A. But Psynapse does make a good point that you need to find the A zone in that silhouette.

Maybe a contrasting A zone in the target to help define it's relative position?

You might try a target with the A cut out. It will make it easy to see where the shots should go, and will save you a lot of taping. Downside doe exist, of course. You have to be able to hit the target consistently, and you don't get feedback on your specific hits within the A zone.

What's your purpose for doing this? If you are doing this to make the shots more difficult just do your dills at a longer distance. You'll be amazed how easy 20 yd plate racks are when you're used to shooting 30 yd racks in training .... Shooting head shots is good but you still need to shoot the full size body as well since this is what you are going to be shooting in a match .... Train the way you're going to fight ....

• 4 weeks later...

just shoot a full target, if you need it harder make it farther away or add hard cover or a no shoot. if all you practice on is an A zone you arent going to know where to aim when presented with a full target (sounds silly, but at speed and with pressure its harder than it sounds)

personally I work to overcome this as for about a year I shot mostly steel with a little paper thrown in and it took me a few matches to realize my transitions and picking my spot on the target was way slower than I thought it would be based on my steel. Its still a struggle sometimes when I have partially covered targets

Is this a good practice.?

PRD ; IPSC/USPSA , Minor factor.

At the range a shooter use only the A -zone from the classic target for his practice.( cut C/D zone out.)

It's not terrible, I wouldn't practice like this all the time, but it's not a bad idea..

Lets be honest here the the borders of the A zone dont matter, must of us at speed will shoot at the center of the biggest available scoring area.. Which surprise surprise is usually the a zone anyway..

Shooting small targets or even small steel is always a good idea..

Learn to aim at the middle of something small, and shooting the middle of something big will become easier :)

On one level its great. An A zone is basically a funny shaped plate and plates are challenging at distance.

On a more important level. I sure hope thats not all they are doing, since that would hurt any progress toward the speed component needed to have a complete game.

Tell them this "secret", Aim a small point on the A zone in a full/partial target. That is a good way to practice and will pay off later. This is not the only drill to get better. You need a total bag of skills and it takes drills to get there.

I sometimes use a white or black paster on brown targets just to see where I am at, then I check it without a paster.

This came from one of the GM's a while back, not sure which one. When he and others

practiced the one with the most C hits had to paste the targets. They were shooting at

match speed but trying to shoot as accurately as possible.

• 4 weeks later...