Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is $1800 a good price for a brand new Edge?

DrLove

guys, I know this guy who wants to sell this brand new Edge for $1800. Is that a goo price or is it just me? As in, should I max my credit card and jump on it?

Edited by DrLove

Is the edge the pistol you really want? If it was the one I set up late at night dreaming about then I'd jump on it. If you really want a full blown custom or SVI or something more expensive and you're telling yourself that the edge is good enough then save your money and wait to buy what you really want.

The price is subjective to what you want in a limited gun, there are many used out there that are tricked out in the $1800+ range, some very new.

I found a used Bone stock Edge that I picked up in very good shape for $950 (guy selling didn't know what he had) it was my first limited gun and I learned a lot from it, then when I stepped up to used STI custom, I knew immediately the trigger was better and what I liked about it and they way it handled and shot, I paid $2100 for it, would I do it again instead of buying a new Edge and tricking it out...yes...but the Edge is a tank and would just run and run, I definitely loved that gun for the 2 years I had it,...if money is tight you may want to keep looking,..I just ran across another custom Hard Chromed STI EAGLE in .40 the guy bought and shot 4 matches with and got transferred to a gun hater state,...he parted with it for 1650...it is VERY NEW and very nice,...so If you want a place to start and are at the price point max, then I think Edge is a great gun.

BTW...I sold the my Edge for $1300

STI EDGE Fiber optic front sight. Used 1 season, 5000 rounds

(On USPSA site )$1550.....sellin the mags separate

May be worth a look,...that extra $250 will buy some mags ;)

Edited by Ofishl1

That's a very good price. MSRP of $2030 and not real easy to get. Want spare mags and STI is backed up until DECEMBER.

JEFF

Jeff if you need some mags, Shooters Connection has the 40 tubes in stock... like 258 of them.

What caliber and what are you going to use it for? If it is a .40S&W and you will use it for USPSA matches, it sounds good

Yeah it's for limited. I have 2 open guns, and a several production guns but I don't have a limited gun.

Is the edge the pistol you really want? If it was the one I set up late at night dreaming about then I'd jump on it. If you really want a full blown custom or SVI or something more expensive and you're telling yourself that the edge is good enough then save your money and wait to buy what you really want.

That's about how I've felt about it. Now forewarning I haven't actually bought a limited gun yet, but I'm currently saving for one and was wrestling with the same decision regarding the Edge.

I know "just $1000 more" isn't chump change, but if you think about it in terms of percentage of price, its much different. A working 1911 can be had for ~$600 (STI Spartan, Para Expert, Rock Island, etc). A full custom build is going to be increase in price of 300% or more.

Now look at the double-stack STI builds. The bone-stock factory gun is around $2000. A full custom is ~$3000. So your price to go from the bare bones gun to "cream of the crop" is a 33% increase. On just about any other gun I'm used to dumping about that much of the purchase price just into upgrades. To me, that's worth saving up a little longer for, and I know that if I bought the Edge I'd just be kicking myself later on for not waiting.

YMMV.

Edited by MGMorden

Save for the SVI that way you will never regret it but you will if you buy less and are considering the purchase. I only own a Sig and Colt. If I could afford an SVI single stack I would buy one. What's more the money I have already spent on tweaking my two 1911s would have paid for an SVI - you live once dude.

As an Open Gunner, I love my HPF Edge (basically stock Edge hard chromed with a Trigger Job). Reliable accurate, and fun to shoot, familiar grip etc. I had a custom SVI Limited gun sold it, liked the Edge more.

$1800 you can get about any time just check GunsAmerica.com, but for new its about as good as it gets. I've never bought a new STI, I get mine after they have been made to run, or I have a good smith assemble it into a running gun.

Mine $1600 with 4 mags, base pads etc, had 50 rounds on it. (HardChromed Dawson HPF), ran from day one, the only competition gun I have done nothing to in 5 years.

Thats it I am getting it out and shooting it in the match Sunday, I'll get my butt kicked by the Limited shooter I'm brining along, ooh well.

Edited by CocoBolo