Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my longslide conversion......and I'm disappointed?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling they are people that work at a gun importing business, but don't shoot themselves.

I would hate to hear of people in the gun importing business shooting themselves; the tragic irony might be too much to handle :roflol:

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 2 weeks later...

So I sent out my parts last week and got my new slide and a correct magazine (another issue I had failed to mention) last night. It is blue this time like I asked for. Actually I am not sure I would call it blued. More cerikoted or something like it.

Anyway I can get the barrel out of this one no issue, however unlike the first slide this one doesn't just slip on. It will go on the frame but only with some protest. I did put it on dry (probably a bad idea, galling etc) but now I can see the high spots where the finish went away quickly.

Any tips on how to finish fitting this the last 3% or so? My local gunsmith won't touch it because he says he just isn't familiar with the CZ / witness platform. Seems a little simplified to me.

Lapping compound

Reading on Brownells that seemed like the thing to do. But when I looked on youtube for videos of people doing this, they were lapping a new slide to a new frame by putting the compound on the rails and then running the slide in the frame until it no longer bound. I would assume this would cause the frame to slide fit of the .40 cal upper that is stock with my gun to become more loose no?

Lapping compound

Reading on Brownells that seemed like the thing to do. But when I looked on youtube for videos of people doing this, they were lapping a new slide to a new frame by putting the compound on the rails and then running the slide in the frame until it no longer bound. I would assume this would cause the frame to slide fit of the .40 cal upper that is stock with my gun to become more loose no?

Lapping compound will likely loosen up the fit with your original slide. I'd recommend getting some layout fluid and marking the slide, find out where it's binding and adjust the fit by stoning the slide only.

Lapping compound

Lapping compound will likely loosen up the fit with your original slide. I'd recommend getting some layout fluid and marking the slide, find out where it's binding and adjust the fit by stoning the slide only.

+1

I use a really fine compound. But it works fast.

I would use machinist blue to see where it's tight on the new slide. If it is a spot you can stone it, easy fix. If its not, that's a squeeze.

with a stone how do you fix it if the dimensional issue is with the groove the rail rides in? The stones I have seen are all too wide to fit in there I would think.

Maybe a small diamond file. Or sandpaper on a ruler or something. They do sell small stones for this purpose, as well.

So I have another question / issue. I tried the slide on with the barrel in place and can't get the slide stop to go back into the gun. It appears the barrel lug is too low. If I am understanding how this works, if I fit the barrel lug to the pin height, wouldn't that possibly cause the barrel to sit low and not lock up properly? I haven't tried putting the new barrel in my old slide, but is there any issues I could have by doing that?

Thanks for the pictures! So looks just like a Match slide except the sides. Anyone know if the bluing can be polished shiny there?

Standard barrel or Polygonal?

Polishing removes metal so the bluing would be long gone before the sides got smooth, it would be a cool two tone look though. To do it right you would need to strip the finish off the entire slide, polish the sides, then re blue the whole thing.

And my money's on standard rifling.

Edited by kneelingatlas