Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra shot penalty

a matt

VIrginia ct. 4 targets 2 on ea. reload 2 on ea. 16 total shots. I missed the last of my shots ( clean miss ) I made up the shot. 1 penalty. Fine. CRO said to me if I would have made up the shot and had hit the paper with my first shot and the 2nd shot I would have 2 penalties. 1 for the shot and I for the hit on the target. Is this correct? Thanks

Yes.

9.4.5.1 Extra shots (i.e. shots fired in excess of the number specified in
a component string or stage), will each incur one procedural
penalty. Additionally, during scoring, no more than the specified
number and highest scoring hits will be awarded.
9.4.5.2 Extra hits (i.e. hits on the scoring area of scoring paper targets in
excess of the total number specified in the stage), will each incur
one procedural penalty. Note that hits on hard cover and/or noshoots are not treated as Extra Hits.

Another way to look at it is this:

Extra shots are scored at the shooting box. Virginia Count, 16 shots, you took 17, you get one penalty for one extra shot. ( penalty assessed right then and there before going down range. Extra shot penalty received no matter how many shots are on the target )

Extra hits are scored at the target. Same story, 16 shots, you have 17 hits on paper. You get one extra hit penalty. IF, like in your case, there are only 16 hits, then no extra hit penalty assessed ( even though you took 17 shots, it doesn't matter, in your example, since there are only 16 hits...so no extra hit penalty )

When I was starting out, it was explained to me that if I could quickly make up a solid A hit on a Virginia count stage, it's better than a mike. With the extra shot penalty, you're down -10. With the mike you're down -10 for the miss and -5 for the A you didn't get.

Unless what you think is a miss is really an edge hit on the target, then you are really screwed. (I've seen it happen.) I never shoot makeup shots on a VC stage. Even if there is a possibility of a higher score, it's just too risky, IMO.

Another way to look at it is this:

Extra shots are scored at the shooting box. Virginia Count, 16 shots, you took 17, you get one penalty for one extra shot. ( penalty assessed right then and there before going down range. Extra shot penalty received no matter how many shots are on the target )

Extra hits are scored at the target. Same story, 16 shots, you have 17 hits on paper. You get one extra hit penalty. IF, like in your case, there are only 16 hits, then no extra hit penalty assessed ( even though you took 17 shots, it doesn't matter, in your example, since there are only 16 hits...so no extra hit penalty )

+1 The correct way!