Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scraping bottom for loading .40 Major

frankge

Hey,

Coming to the end of my Titegroup - loading .40 major (and 9 minor too). On the shelf I have Alliant e3 and Unique. I have loaded e3 @ 1.135 to major with 4.5g but it sketches me out because of how fast it is and the general freak out people say about loading Clays hot. I was going to save Unique for my kids 9mm minor, I have done it before but fully understand the reason its called "Flaming Dirt".

I've done searches but most data for e3 is for long-loaded .40 and usually with lead or moly. I'm using MG or Precision 180's.

Lastly, got an opportunity to buy 8# of VV 330, again limited results from searches - is it worth it in our game?

Thanks!

I've been using Unique with MG, Berrys and Zero 180s. You are exactly right about flaming dirt. When its cold it tends to work real good, but dirty as hell in the heat. I am now looking for a new powder also.

Are you experiencing any unusually high pressure signs? Alliant told me to use Red Dot loading data for e3 and so far they have been correct. I am loading 3.6 of it at 1.135 with a RMR plated bullet and love it for minor. I have loaded up to 4.2 same bullet and OAL so far with nothing but great results. According to the tech at Alliant e3 is NOT as fast as everyone led me to believe and has a burn rate slightly slower than Red Dot in the .40 as these loads prove out. So far through 8 lbs of it I have seen no spikey or erratic behavior. What was your results?

Edited by bowenbuilt

. Your OAL is rather short so you probably need to stick with something a bit slower. When I ran a CZ TS with a 1.140 OAL I blew the top off a few cases and split a few, after moving to STI 2011 with a 1.185 - 1.20 OAL no more case mishaps.

N320 is good stuff for Jacketed 180gr Major, with moly or bayou I use WST. Again I don't load the midget rounds. 1.135 is shorter than factory ammo. Are your mags the issue, or do you just need 3 mintues with a head space reamer?

I wouldn't try short jacketed with Clays unless you start low work up, but on top of that don't use old tired worn out brass.

Edited by CocoBolo

• 2 weeks later...

All my life I've heard about how "Dirty" Unique is. I don't think it's an especially bad problem, and since all my guns get a thorough cleaning whenever I shoot them, I have no problems using it. I mean back in my younger days I would fire off about 2-300 rounds of .38 special DEWC's in my .357 mag, almost daily. The range officers there all knew me by name!

. Your OAL is rather short so you probably need to stick with something a bit slower. .. N320 is good stuff for Jacketed 180gr Major, with moly or bayou I use WST. Again I don't load the midget rounds. 1.135 is shorter than factory ammo... I wouldn't try short jacketed with Clays unless you start low work up, but on top of that don't use old tired worn out brass.

+1 for WST with moly or Bayou. Components are rarish, but if you keep looking you will find them. I found an eight pound jug of powder recently at a major sporting goods store that I had thought only carried one pound containers.

Also as CocoBolo suggests- you might check to see whether your magazines and chamber will accept longer cartridges, this tends to lower peak pressures (but make sure you don't go some much longer that you're jamming the bullet hard into the rifling as that will raise pressures). If in doubt ask a more experienced reloader to help. It shouldn't take long to dial in a good OAL for your pistol and magazines combination. Good Luck.

I shot 180 RMR e3 3.5 1.130 Fed SPM and was seeing 142PF - I used these at the ProAm (although I couldnt hit a thing!) I've used Unique a lot over the years and it works in just about everything I load. I just tried 6.2 in .45 with 230 FMJ and it was pretty clean. Unique you have to load to the upper end. I find those that complain about the dirt in Unique, and Titegroup for that matter are not loading at the upper end. IMO magnum primers really clean them up too. I ran quite a lot of 9mm practice loads 124TC lead with 4.5 with Unique and got ZERO leading in a G17 and G34. I shoot Glocks so I have settled on 1.135 for OAL in both 9 and 40 as that is what fits and feeds best in the magazines.

Edited by frankge

I've been loading 5.3g of Unique with Berry's 180's at 1.130" for a glock 23. It's a good shooting load, has a good recoil, and seems to burn reasonably clean compared to all the things I've heard!

Hey,

Coming to the end of my Titegroup - loading .40 major (and 9 minor too). On the shelf I have Alliant e3 and Unique. I have loaded e3 @ 1.135 to major with 4.5g but it sketches me out because of how fast it is and the general freak out people say about loading Clays hot. I was going to save Unique for my kids 9mm minor, I have done it before but fully understand the reason its called "Flaming Dirt".

I've done searches but most data for e3 is for long-loaded .40 and usually with lead or moly. I'm using MG or Precision 180's.

Lastly, got an opportunity to buy 8# of VV 330, again limited results from searches - is it worth it in our game?

Thanks!

Mined if I ask what your load was with titegroup for minor loads, I have a pound of it and need a good load for 40 !

. Your OAL is rather short so you probably need to stick with something a bit slower. When I ran a CZ TS with a 1.140 OAL I blew the top off a few cases and split a few, after moving to STI 2011 with a 1.185 - 1.20 OAL no more case mishaps.

N320 is good stuff for Jacketed 180gr Major, with moly or bayou I use WST. Again I don't load the midget rounds. 1.135 is shorter than factory ammo. Are your mags the issue, or do you just need 3 mintues with a head space reamer?

I wouldn't try short jacketed with Clays unless you start low work up, but on top of that don't use old tired worn out brass.

Actually factory 40 s&w is 1.124-1.127. I just measured half a box of WWB 180 gr FMJs.

I don't load titegroup for minor .40, but I hear some use 3.5 as a start - bet you it's nasty dirty at that low level

I'm going with 4,0 titegroup. Want be able to chrono the load till I get back to my parents in NC in a few weeks.

But I have shot some and using a steel guide rod and a ISMI 15lb spring, has a good feel to it when shot. Ill update when I shoot some over the chrono.

Jeff

BTW IM shooting a G35

Edited by ghost21