Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 wont cock

Norsk

First post. This is a great forum!

I have a basically brand new glock 17 that has the dash connector. I was getting light strikes with winchester primers, so I changed out the springs.

It has the reduced power firing pin block spring, extra power striker and trigger spring. They are made by Wolf.

Problem is, now it wont cock unless I have the trigger depressed. I have tried the dot, dash and LW 3.5 connector and all have similar issues. I'd like to get rid of the light strikes, and unfortunately the winchester primers were all I could get hold of at the time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd return it back to original and see if it runs. Then switch in the aftermarket parts to narrow the problem. One of the replacement springs may be weak or one of the other parts out of specification. I actually prefer Winchester primers in my G34 with factory springs. They seem the best for my 550b and I've never had a problem with ignition. But, then with factory springs all primers ignite properly.

Are your primers properly seated? I have heard that if they are not seated completely that the striker can seat them the rest of the way with out igniting them.

HTH,

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I checked the trigger spring. It's GTG. My press seems to hate these winchesters(pro 1000). It is possible that I don't have all the primers seated 100%. They have been kind of finicky.

I'm going to change the springs back out and run it again, paying better attention to primer seating.

The light strikes were happening with both my 17 and 19. Both spring sets are fairly new. around 1k rounds on the 17, 3k or so on the 19.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I checked the trigger spring. It's GTG. My press seems to hate these winchesters(pro 1000). It is possible that I don't have all the primers seated 100%. They have been kind of finicky.

I'm going to change the springs back out and run it again, paying better attention to primer seating.

The light strikes were happening with both my 17 and 19. Both spring sets are fairly new. around 1k rounds on the 17, 3k or so on the 19.

Thanks again.

I am currently using the same press and I was having issues with light strikes too. I started priming as a separate operation and haven't had a light strike since.

At times, I keep a factory box of either Federal or Winchester laying around, just in case the gun starts acting up. I then can try and see if it's a gun issue first, or a reloading issue, before I start pulling things apart. Sometimes it can help start the process of elimination, after that, the game is on to find out why the gun is not feeling good.

They both work fine w/factory ammo. It was the primers I thought were the issue, but looking at a couple that I had reloaded, not all of them are seated correctly. THese winchesters seem to take a lot more force to seat than the federals I was using........ thanks for all the tips!

Over lubricating can also cause the trigger not to reset. I shot a match (poorly) today where I had a trigger reset issue with my Glock 34 Gen 4 while I was testing it out at the safe area at the start of the match. The night before I tried out using X25B grease on it as opposed to my normal gun oil. Great stuff, but I clearly put to much on and it had to do some quick degreasing with some dry patches to make sure everything worked well. Once I did that, the pistol run great for the rest of the day despite being subjected to rain and mud from my magazines that went into puddles during reloads. I knew I was a dullard for doing something different before a major match before I could test the results so I deserved what I got.

Turns out it rains quite a bit in Florida in the summer. Who knew?

Over lubricating can also cause the trigger not to reset. I shot a match (poorly) today where I had a trigger reset issue with my Glock 34 Gen 4 while I was testing it out at the safe area at the start of the match. The night before I tried out using X25B grease on it as opposed to my normal gun oil. Great stuff, but I clearly put to much on and it had to do some quick degreasing with some dry patches to make sure everything worked well. Once I did that, the pistol run great for the rest of the day despite being subjected to rain and mud from my magazines that went into puddles during reloads. I knew I was a dullard for doing something different before a major match before I could test the results so I deserved what I got.

Turns out it rains quite a bit in Florida in the summer. Who knew?

Are you saying, your lubricating the Trigger assembly?

I over lubricated the pistol. I know better, but I had never used grease before on a pistol so I used too much. I think enough of it ended up on the trigger bar (which does not need it) where it caused the trigger reset issue.

I went to the safe area like I always do before a match and tested the pistol to make sure the trigger was reseting and that the trigger pull was normal. The trigger wasn't reseting properly about half the time. I got some dry patches and cleaned the trigger bar as much as I could to remove as much excess lubricant as I could. Once i did that, I didn't have any resetting issue after that and the pistol performed just fine (I, however, shot wretchedly) for me the rest of the day.

My guess is that I put too much grease on the slide and enough of it got on the trigger bar, etc where it caused an issue.

So what I learned is when they say that a little bit of X25B grease goes a long way, they mean it.

Edited by ericjhuber