Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Won a GSSF match! what to get?

steviesterno

Hey guys,

so I'll start by saying I have never been a fan of glocks, but do see them run to good effect. Just didn't fit my hand really, since I'm a 1911/2011 guy. But I had a chance to shoot a GSSF match right down the street with a borrowed 21 and 34 and managed to win top amateur with the 34!

Anyway, since they are so generous in their prizes and I could always use a new game gun, I want to pick up something I can use to really try it out. I'm thinking it's main uses would be for future GSSF matches, maybe some steel challenge, keep in the car, possible carry when I'm on the water, and general plinking. Pretty much an all around.

I'm wondering which model I should pick? I already load 40 minor, but I don't have a full capacity 9mm at the moment. My thoughts are I could get a 35 and run those loads, and get a 9mm barrel for fun

Just get a 34 and shoot it a bunch.

get like a 19/17 and go from there.

What do you all think?

Steve

A 17. You can shoot it in Amateur Civilian and Competition at the next GSSF match and win yourself 2 more.

The prize giveaways at GSSF matches are ridiculous. I went to 2 matches and now have 4 guns on the way. It's enough to make this steel gun elitist switch teams!

34 or 17. Both would be great for GSSF competition. However, you can switch your 35 over to 9mm using a conversion barrel and then buy a 17 in order to have a regular 9mm and a longer version.

Hmm, I like the idea of one gun doing many roles. Can I only shoot a 34 in that competition division?

And is there a 40 cal equivalent of a 17? I thought the 22 was like the same size as a 19.

You can shoot pretty much any Glock you want in Competition. I used a 17 both times.

The 22 is the 40 version of the 17. (4.4" barrel) The 23 is the 40 G19. (4" barrel)

Unless you reload, the .40 cal may be the way to go. Factory 9mm is hard to find but seems like a lot of .40 S&W keeps popping up.

Local to me they have GSSF league matches but just never got a chance to give it a try. That may need to change.

I never realized GSSF matches had such a good prize table. Was this the match held at Dallas Pistol Club in early May? Is there a good turnout typically?

Thanks.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Get a G30, 30SF, or 30S if you plan to shoot the new gun in GSSF. Those models will be able to be shot in the most divisions. If USPSA is what you're thinking a 17 or 34 is the way to go.

Any of the 17, 26 or 34 models would be my choice. I won two guns and a tidy amount of cash over the years, shooting amateur/civilian subcompact div. The 17 is a good all around gun, and the 34 is good for the USPSA and IDPA games.

I shoot a 17 in the three divisions I compete in. Including unlimited. Whatever you get I'd look for a gun that can be used in more divisions than just one. Being able to shoot multiple disciplines doesn't hurt either.

I do reload, but I currently shoot USPSA and 3 gun with a 6" 2011 in 40. I run minor, and I don't mind an extra reload or so per match. I was a single stack shooter, so having 19 rounds seems like infinity. My thought was get the 40, since I load for it. But I run lead, and I hear rumors of that blowing up glocks. still true?

Steve, I recently went all glock over the past three years. I've shot Bear Creek 180s, BBI 180s, and am going to try Bayous next for 9mm. I have shot Bear Creek 125s, and BBI 130s in 9mm. Literally thousands in .40 and 9mm. All stock barrels. I check my barrels after every load change and after every batch. I also clean my barrels after every 500 to 1000 rounds. There is usually some moly residue, but not much. I run Solo 1000 as my powder. Seems to run the gun well. I think when you push any lead based bullet too hard you will bet issues. Also if you crimp too much, the coating on the bullet gets marred and this will lead to issues. Careful loading procedures like slightly extra belling, consistent resizing, and minimal but effective crimp can make shooting moly easy. I like the accuracy I get with that combo so far. Now if you talk to Mark CO I think he runs aftermarket barrels for improved accuracy. I hear you can get really good accuracy from the glock platform this way as opposed to just acceptable.

JZ

For pistol, I only reload for 40 and don't have any 9mm anyway. I carry 40 so when I got into the games I stuck with my Glock 23 for a year and then jumped to a 35. I just load minor ammo when shooting Production, steel, 3 gun etc. A little more for the bullets than 9mm but not much.

...Now if you talk to Mark CO I think he runs aftermarket barrels for improved accuracy. I hear you can get really good accuracy from the glock platform this way as opposed to just acceptable...

My limited setup has a Barsto barrel that is fitted a good bit tighter than the Glock barrels. Not only does this seem to give a bit better accuracy (but really not enough to tell) but it also helps with getting a nice trigger pull. Others have tried to duplicate what I have, including me on a stock 35, but I think that tight lockup is the extra part to a great trigger pull.

For pistol, I only reload for 40 and don't have any 9mm anyway. I carry 40 so when I got into the games I stuck with my Glock 23 for a year and then jumped to a 35. I just load minor ammo when shooting Production, steel, 3 gun etc. A little more for the bullets than 9mm but not much.

...Now if you talk to Mark CO I think he runs aftermarket barrels for improved accuracy. I hear you can get really good accuracy from the glock platform this way as opposed to just acceptable...

My limited setup has a Barsto barrel that is fitted a good bit tighter than the Glock barrels. Not only does this seem to give a bit better accuracy (but really not enough to tell) but it also helps with getting a nice trigger pull. Others have tried to duplicate what I have, including me on a stock 35, but I think that tight lockup is the extra part to a great trigger pull.

While happy with what I have, it is things like this that I hear once in a while that make me want to try a BarSto in one of my Glocks. I mean, it definitely can't HURT anything :D

34 or 17. Both would be great for GSSF competition. However, you can switch your 35 over to 9mm using a conversion barrel and then buy a 17 in order to have a regular 9mm and a longer version.

I'd say go with the 35 for this reason. But then I'm biased, as a 35 will be my next Glock so that I have this flexibility.

yeah, I'm thinking a 17 or 22 would be the best option. Leaning towards the 17 right now, since I like the fact I can shoot it in a few divisions.

I'm starting to like GSSF! never thought I would be a glock guy, but it's hard to argue with a company that gives that many guns away for like $30 entry. I guess that's how they get you hooked. I already have plans to win the heck out of the match next year, and build up an open glock. The slide-ride red dot, high capacity, and just flat out runs aspect of these things makes me think it would be a fun first open gun.Time will tell.

Is it still possible to get glock mags at non-crazy prices? or should I just wait the 20 or whatever weeks it will take to get my pistol in the mail?

yeah, I'm thinking a 17 or 22 would be the best option. Leaning towards the 17 right now, since I like the fact I can shoot it in a few divisions.

I'm starting to like GSSF! never thought I would be a glock guy, but it's hard to argue with a company that gives that many guns away for like $30 entry. I guess that's how they get you hooked. I already have plans to win the heck out of the match next year, and build up an open glock. The slide-ride red dot, high capacity, and just flat out runs aspect of these things makes me think it would be a fun first open gun.Time will tell.

Is it still possible to get glock mags at non-crazy prices? or should I just wait the 20 or whatever weeks it will take to get my pistol in the mail?

Man, you are better than an ad for GSSF! Now I am getting mu daughter and I signed up. Thanks!