Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing Marilyn Manson with my Homie on his birthday

benos

My only complaint was that he only played for little over an hour. The show was awesome though - it was super-theatrical.

And the super bonus round - he played at a relatively small venue - the Marquee Theater, which is only about a mile walk from my house.

Antichrist Superstar is still in my top 5 favorite (play it from beginning to end) records of all time. But I've really never listened to much of his other stuff. I like about half the songs on Portrait of an American Family. And I've listend to Mechanical Animals maybe a half dozen times - but it never conveyed / generated the power for me that Antichrist did.

I'll have to try some of his other records - there has to be some more Marilyn gems out there.

For any Antichrist Superstar fans... Any other favorite records?

Did my first Ozzfest as a stage hand. Marilyn fired about a ton of black feathers out of a cannon while intense lights washed over the audience. It was a great effect. From bright to pitch dark and then bright slowly as the feathers settled to the ground. The rock and roll spectacle is definitely alive and well at his shows.

Very good stage show odd duck but the act and personality is what makes it unique. Brian your dating yourself in time using the term records. There might be some on here that don't know what a record is. :surprise:

If you think Brian is dating himself, I actually got to see Jimi Hendrix at the old Tulane Stadium in New Orleans in 1968. I was on restriction for about 4 months for coming home a little late (about 7 hours).

If you think Brian is dating himself, I actually got to see Jimi Hendrix at the old Tulane Stadium in New Orleans in 1968. I was on restriction for about 4 months for coming home a little late (about 7 hours).

Nice! :cheers:

Portrait is my favorite CD by Manson.

Listen to Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood.

His covers of Working Class Hero, Five to One, Rock and Roll Nigger, and I put a Spell on You are fantastic songs.

Also check out Para-noir ( a breakup song from when he split from Dita Von Tease) and We're from America.

I have been a Manson fan since '94 when the band opened for Nine Inch Nails. Have seen them many times and never disappointed.

Will you be shooting Woolmarket Saturday? 4 months? That seems a bit harsh--especially for the 60's.

Ronnie,

I listened to Holy Wood last night - THANKS! It has the power, similar to Antichrist.

And, if you read this article on the making of that record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Wood_(In_the_Shadow_of_the_Valley_of_Death)'>Holy Wood

... It takes every song and the entire record to a whole new level.

Also listened to Mechanical Animals again, for maybe the tenth time - that one is just not going to make the cut for me. It's way over produced - there's not even one good scream on the entire record. :)

Try this - listen to Mechanical Animals, then go right into Antichrist. They are like two different bands with a similar singer and music.

Ronnie,

I listened to Holy Wood last night - THANKS! It has the power, similar to Antichrist.

And, if you read this article on the making of that record:

Holy Wood

... It takes every song and the entire record to a whole new level.

Also listened to Mechanical Animals again, for maybe the tenth time - that one is just not going to make the cut for me. It's way over produced - there's not even one good scream on the entire record. :)

Try this - listen to Mechanical Animals, then go right into Antichrist. They are like two different bands with a similar singer and music.

I like Mechanical Animals, not my favorite but I still enjoy it.

Portrait is my personal favorite with Antichrist a close 2nd. I saw Manson 5 times while they toured for Portrait and some of those shows were amazing. Saw them at the Stone Pony here in NJ, I was arms length away from the band. Oh the early '90's.

Portrait is my favorite CD by Manson.

Listen to Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood.

His covers of Working Class Hero, Five to One, Rock and Roll Nigger, and I put a Spell on You are fantastic songs.

Also check out Para-noir ( a breakup song from when he split from Dita Von Tease) and We're from America.

I have been a Manson fan since '94 when the band opened for Nine Inch Nails. Have seen them many times and never disappointed.

Did you hear Trent announced their new album?

Manson does a very good job at bringing shock rock to the table.

Portrait is my favorite CD by Manson. Listen to Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood. His covers of Working Class Hero, Five to One, Rock and Roll Nigger, and I put a Spell on You are fantastic songs. Also check out Para-noir ( a breakup song from when he split from Dita Von Tease) and We're from America. I have been a Manson fan since '94 when the band opened for Nine Inch Nails. Have seen them many times and never disappointed.

Did you hear Trent announced their new album? Manson does a very good job at bringing shock rock to the table.
NIN happens to be my favorite band.

I am all over that like white on rice. Heard the new song Came Back Haunted last night around 1230am.

Pre-sale for tour starts next week, song is on itunes or pre-order the new cd and get it instantly. I'm trying to figure out how to order tickets while at work. I managed to see NIN in concert about 30 times from 1991 to 2009. 21 concerts were from 2005-2009 including snagging tickets to the 4 NYC shows during their wave goodbye tour. (Bowery Ballroom, Webster Hall, and 2 nights at Terminal 5)I'm pretty excited about the new album and tour.

Oh, did I mentioned that NIN happens to be my favorite band?

Edited by ronhonda

Man, the way you are with NIN is how I am with Megadeth. Seen them 23 times. Dave's kind of losing his marbles these days but as long as they're playing music, I'm good.

I'll definitely be hitting up the new NIN album and the new song is great.

Brian,

Broken

The Downward Spiral (2 cd deluxe edition)

The Fragile

Pretty Hate Machine

I listed them in this order because you stated that Antichrist Superstar was your favorite Manson release and this will cater to that taste.

PHM is a bit different in that it is more "mellow" than the rest and also their 1st release. ( great cover of Queen's Get Down Make Love on the remastered edition.)

Also if you like instrumental ambient music, look into Ghosts, and the soundtracks to The Social Network and the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Finally look into Ministry and start with The Mind is A terrible Thing To Taste and Psalm 69: The Way To Succeed & The Way To Suck Eggs.

Here is a link to NIN's tumblr page with music to listen to, photos and other stuff; http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/

You can also find the Slip (by NIN) for free on the internet

Edited by ronhonda

• 4 weeks later...

Ahhh ministry..... Great albums, as nin and mansion. Haven't seen nin or Manson but did see ministry with revco. Worst show ever! Al's lip synching was terrible and revco was just terrible. I'm more into psychobilly and rockabilly these days.

Ministry was great live 91-96 after that it just was not "as good" as years past. I saw them a few years ago during their farewell tour and left disappointed. They are a shell of what they used to be.

• 1 month later...

I saw Manson first during the Antichrist Superstar tour and didn't see them again until this past July here in Orlando. Good show but dudes getting old. Nowhere near what he used to be onstage. Also - NIN - I just found out NIN will play here on Halloween night :P . One of my fave bands on my fave night of the year. But then my wife lovingly reminded me she planned our vacation so we will be gone that week. :mellow: Bummer...