Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talking with gun club members for over 8 years still hasn't helped me find a good source for steel. It seems everybody is stingy when they know you need it.

If I can find a good source, I am going to make some full-size IPSC/IDPA steel targets for our club and other various sizes.

Does anyone here have any good ideas on where to look or who to ask? I mean, have any of you found steel plate near your hometown?

All I need is stuff for pistols. Three-eighths of an inch thick scrap would work.

3/8 thick steel plate large enough for targets doesn't really qualify as scrap for most people, nor does it come cheap. Good luck finding any with the current prices being high. The scrap price is high too, so giving the stuff away is not something many people are going to do.

See if the club will spring for a sheet.

Just a suggestion.

Have the club go out and order/buy the best they can afford. Get the really good stuff (T500?) Then shoot it forever. BUT....

immediately excommunicate anyone who even looks like they want to turn a rifle toward it. We had a 5 plate rack destroyed when some ..... idjit... shot, and blew a hole, through each plate with a .223/5.56 round. Makes you sick.

Steel is an expensive investment today.

FWIW

dj

"immediately excommunicate" - agreed, though I was thinking of a more harsh penalty . . .

Anyway, certain commercial shipping containers apparently have steel floors made of sufficient hardness to withstand even rifle fire; I recall a magazine article about a 3gun/"tactical" type match a few years ago that used targets cut from this scrap material. Perhaps someone else here remembers that article & can tell you more.

If you are located in the western US drop by MGMtargets.com or if you are in the eastern US checkout gttargets.com - both guys have great stuff. The targets from both may seem a little pricey but the good stuff has jumped in price. Also keep in mind that you don't have to worry about scrap, cutting/welding, and extra material handling during fabrication when you buy it direct.

Both companies are making steel targets for pistol and rifle. The owners are shooters so they understand what it takes to build quality products! Plus the items are shipped right to your front door.

blew a hole, through each plate
don't worry too much...steel is steel. The holes can be welded up to look brand new....its just a pain in the azz because of some dipstick.

If you have any metal recycling facilities near you at all they might retail out some of their usable scrap more cheaply that if you purchased it new. If it's sold by the pound (as is the case here) it might cost a bit, but it depends on how much you need, what thickness, and what kind of a deal you might be able to cut with the facility for a quantity. If you have a way to cut and weld the stuff yourself, that is.

Come to Wyoming where 3/8 thick AR 400 the size of your pick up truck is considered "drop" and sold for scrap. Try steel recyclers for starters. Wander in and inquire about prices for AR 400 and AR 500. You might be suprised how cheap it can be if you haul it. Wyoming Recyclers buys AR 400 from WOTCO by the ton for less than a dime a pound then resells it for about a buck. There can be a huge profit margin in recycling steel so don't be afraid to hint around about a donation or discount for your non-profit organization.

Also look to large steel fabricators. If you can find someone who lines dump truck beds you are in business. Enter into a partnership with the welding program at your local school. Many big businesses will cheerfully donate to a school, have the kids do the fabrication, buy them a milkshake and you are good to go.

If you pony up for brand-new steel, make sure that they can verify that you're getting AR 400/500, not something else. Bill Sahlberg (bless his peapickin little heart) got burned by a local steel dealer when buying hardcover steel for the club's R&R targets. The hardcover steel cratered like silly putty.

• 4 months later...

If in the event I can find some 500 hardness (armor?) plate:

Can I weld it to make attachments, or will this affect the hardness (temper?) of the steel?

Can I cut it, with an acetylene torch? Or will this soften it up too?

I want these for rifle (.223 only), without cutting through it first shot, for 100yd+ targets. I'm trying to get 3/8" steel, from searches seeems to be enough. But I'm open..

Thanks, Dave