Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Low Mass Question

CJW

I notice only one low mass buffer on their web site, and it looks pretty long. Is it rifle buffer tube length only, or does it fit a carbine tube?

Thanks!

Whoops misread bolt carrier for buffer

JP Low Mass Buffer for AR-15-type rifles.

Recommended for use with JP Low Mass Carriers or any other conventional mil-spec carrier where reduced mass is desired. Requires full-length extension tube.

Edited by BlueOvalBandit

That is correct.

I have run the JP low-mass carrier exclusively in Carbine length buffer tubes with modified carbine buffers. The weights can be removed and exchanged for spacers to tune it to your liking.

Built a sort of early clone, slick side upper, triangle handguards and Cav arms plastic lower, stock trigger, bolt carrier, spring and buffer. Compared to my 3-gun rifle with the LoMass carrier and captured spring it was noisy and harsh. But it still ran fine and shot pretty accurately, I just love ARs.

I actually run the Silent Captured Spring in my main competition gun. I am building out my next AR, though, and have been considering the whole adjustable gas/low mass setup to see how it compares. That's what got me looking at the buffers.

Assuming I go Syrac adjustable and low mass carrier, does the stock SCS spring work well with it or should I get the extra spring pack and fiddle?

Not changing anything else in either of my competition rifles, I can feel the difference in the LMOS in both the .223 and the DPMS .308. Also, my TI 20" bbl with rifle gas now runs reliably with Wolf ammo again. Something it wouldn't do after I added the Rolling Thunder comp. Both rifles now can make use of the JP adjustable gas block. Neither would run 100% without full gas before. Worth it for me.

Craig

Are the LMOS carriers worth the extra expense? How much recoil do they eliminate?

Given that most of the recoil you feel is the bolt carrier sliding back and forth, a bunch. It is very noticeable when you shoot one side by side with a standard carrier.

Assuming I go Syrac adjustable and low mass carrier, does the stock SCS spring work well with it or should I get the extra spring pack and fiddle?

The SCS works great to add the last touch of refinement to a rough gun. I'm about to get the spring pack since the bolt won't lock back with my reloads. The Syrac adjustable block is a clever little piece that's very well made. Only thing I would change about my setup would be to swap out the set screw block for a clamp on.

I actually run the Silent Captured Spring in my main competition gun. I am building out my next AR, though, and have been considering the whole adjustable gas/low mass setup to see how it compares. That's what got me looking at the buffers.

Right now i have the Youngs superlight carrier in my gun paired with the SCS spring and syrac gas block. 18" rifle gas and it works great without the spring pack. I've never fiddled with the spring pack though.

I do have (2) new JP low mass BCG's here that i won't be using if any of you guys are searching for one.

Edited by Silver4.6