Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun Rifle buy or build?

Iggy42

I want to order them together from Rainier as they check the headspacing and match a barrel/bolt properly.

Head spacing is set by the barrel extension installation on the barrel, so their supplier. "Matching" bolts to barrels...nothing more than a sales gimmick.

Good to know, but since I can't find a BCG at the moment (outside of Palmetto State, and it seems their BCG have not been getting such good reviews lately) waiting is something I will have to do anyway. Not to mention the only barrel I am finding is a Black Hole Weaponry, and while I see them mentioned now and then, I can't find anything about them. Good, bad or indifferent

Sounds like you have everything accounted for. The BCG is the toughest part to find... but the in-stock thread on AR15.com is really helpful. If you watch that, you should be abe to find one.

If you are trying to go with low mass internals, I have an extra new low mass JP BCG I could sell you for regular price.

Sounds like you have everything accounted for. The BCG is the toughest part to find... but the in-stock thread on AR15.com is really helpful. If you watch that, you should be abe to find one.

If you are trying to go with low mass internals, I have an extra new low mass JP BCG I could sell you for regular price.

Yeah I was looking over it, but what worries me is seeing products I have never heard off. Its great that they have stock, but that doesn't mean its any good. I am really trying to avoid throwing my money away, took me long enough to get to this point and I still need an optic and mags

So does anyone know anything about Black Hole Weaponry barrels?

I posted the specs on one I found, but I can't for the life of me find out if its any good or not.

So does anyone know anything about Black Hole Weaponry barrels?

I posted the specs on one I found, but I can't for the life of me find out if its any good or not.

Pat Kelley and Craig Outzen, both 3Gun Nation pros have them on their rifles. I ordered an 18" LTR profile in their machined finish, it tookb 6 months to get direct from them. It is well finished. I've not had time to set up the new upper yet.

Well as of right know all I need are

Upper and Lower receiver (looking a SAA stripped receivers, they are apparently made by Aero)

Barrel

BCG

Gas tube to go with barrel

Could really use some help here finding good stuff that I can order tonight/tomorrow. I got on Rainier's email list for a few things, but I don't want to wait forever to finally get a rifle together.

Ordered the stuff below this morning from various folks, came to 1586 plus change with shipping

Surplus Ammo and Arms Forged "Grim Reaper" Striped Lower

Surplus Ammo and Arms Forged Stripped Upper

Surplus Ammo and Arms AR-15 Upper Parts Kit

BCM Charging Handle (MOD 3 Large Latch)

Surplus Ammo and Arms Lower Parts Kit with Blackhawk Ergo Grip

Geissele SSA 2-stage trigger

Black Hole Weaponry 18" SS barrel (5.56NATO chamber 3poly rifling, rifle length gas)

Rifle length Gas tube with roll pin

Troy Low Profile gas block

ACE ARFX skeleton stock

A2 Rifle stock completion kit

SJC Titan comp

MI 15" free float hand guard

Ice Arms FA BCG

Anything I missed?

Heck any thoughts at all?

Edited by Iggy42

• 1 month later...

Man, if you can hold out a little bit longer, get a JP complete rifle. Match grade barrel, and out of the box they are ready to rock. You can get a complete rifle for 2k. That way you have everything factory fit and you can have a gun that probably 2/3 of the shooters out there have. Or you can pick up a low miles used upper on the forums and still build the lower the way you want it. $400 bucks more you can get a nice Vortex and you will have a gun that runs as good as any of the guns the Pros shoot. I built my lower to put all the components I wanted on it and just put on a JP upper and it runs great. Depends on if you want a tube or quad rail system. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

Edited by Twoyellowlabs

Well to my un-educated looking I would appear that by going to Surplus Ammo, Midway USA and Brownell's I can have everything minus an optic and BCG for about 1475 shipped. That being said I have no idea if that is everything I would need and/or if I have too much. I admit that is using some things I have never heard of before (like an AR Stoner barrel).

I have to admit I am out of my element of this one, even having a hard time find good information about what/who to go with.

I should note I have ordered nothing as of yet since if I find that the receiver I found (forged from Surplus Ammo) is any good and if they have a local FFL on file already. I know Rainier does, but they are out of stock on just about everything. That bums me out since I heard good things about a BCG they carry and I like that they correct and headspace issues if you buy a BCG and barrel from them (both of which are out of stock from the names I knew of).

I RAN AN 18" flutted Stomer Barrel and it shot lights out.

check out rubber city armory for bcg. supposed to be pretty good and have a nice coating on them. they run sales all the time for about $200 for a BCG. also, do discount looking on gunbroker.com. tons of stripped uppers and lowers for around $100 (forged of course) and billet stuff too.