Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop in 223 Wylde AR-15 Barrel

thegunnerd

Hi Everyone

I'm upgrading my 3 gun rifle with a new 18" barrel . The usual answer is going to be JP . But knowing what i do about barrels from the precision rifle i shoot , I know there are far more great manufacturers that make fantastic barrels without the premium price tag that goes with the JP name.

Any makers you like ? I've been checking out lija , shilen and brux. Lija being the front runner for price and quality . They have a fantastic drop in barrel that comes in at 2 lbs .

Would you run a mid length or rifle length gas system? I know mid length systems have a shorter recoil response which can tend to be a nice blend between smooth and responsive . I currently run one on a 16" BCM barrel and it is great but does the longer 18" barrel usually call for a rifle length gas system.

other info, i'm running an a2 length stock, jp low mass rifle length buffer and jp flat wound ar spring.

My bolt is the bcm enhanced bcg

thanks for any information you have

Aaron

I run a 20" Lija heavy stainless w/ Wylde chamber.

Most of the cool kids seem to be running 18" mid length or rifle length gas systems, low profile gas blocks and really long tubes.

Barrel length does impact bullet velocity, very important for longer range targets. Close in, meh. The rest is what you like.

I have a Compass Lake Engineering 18" Stainless with Wylde chambering, 1:8 twist and midlength gas system. They used a Douglass blank and did a SPR contour for me. They also have Krieger blanks. It shoots concistant .75" groups with hand loads. Compass lake is a full custom barrel manufacturer that will build most anything you want. Send your bolt to them so they can headspace for you. They are a little pricey( two years ago mine came to $475 with gas block and tube) but the are great people to work with and well worth it.

All this said there are many great barrel makers that will give you everything you need, just be sure to check out the forums and reviews.

White Oak Armament SPR. with Wylde 1:7 or 1:8 (I think) with 18" or 16" length and a choice of Mid or Rifle gas

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17567&cat=250&page=2

I like the rifle gas impulse and I even put a heavy 9mm buffer in my 16" gun when I put an adj. stock on it.

I do not shoot the hoser type of matches so the fast sharp recoil response tends to just give me a headache. I like to use a rifle at rifle distances and I like 68 & 77 bullets.

So with your A2 stock I'd choose rifle gas. I don't know much about the JP LMOS or how a carbine gas system would affect it.

I think the WOA SPR (or DMR) is the best value for accuracy you can find.

This is an ideal topic to search. There are extensive threads on this - WOA, Nordic, and Criterion are more budget options (sub-$300), and Lilja, Krieger, and JP your more expensive options (over $300). Truthfully virtually all of them will deliver outstanding accuracy, its just a matter of finding the particular profile, material, and twist rate that is your preference.

Good luck! Your AR will be shooting better in no time!

Sweet !!! I'll check out some of those other options. I'm still torn about barrel length though. 18" seems to be all the rage but with a comp ( i've been eyeing the seekins ) that's damn near 20" which does make pointing a little slower .

I'm just wondering if there would be any noticeable difference . just like in precision rifle builds there are 20" bull barrels that i've seen shoot sub moa out to 800 yards ( .308 ) just as well as a 26" barrel.

decisions.........

I have a Compass Lake Engineering 18" Stainless with Wylde chambering, 1:8 twist and midlength gas system. They used a Douglass blank and did a SPR contour for me. They also have Krieger blanks. It shoots concistant .75" groups with hand loads. Compass lake is a full custom barrel manufacturer that will build most anything you want. Send your bolt to them so they can headspace for you. They are a little pricey( two years ago mine came to $475 with gas block and tube) but the are great people to work with and well worth it.

All this said there are many great barrel makers that will give you everything you need, just be sure to check out the forums and reviews.

I"m def going to check em out

You may not like the name but my build had a AR Stoner 18" fluted stainless with mid gas system and 5R 1:8 rifling and Wylde clambering. Shot great with hand loads sub MOA easily and less than $300 at midway

Thanks Daniel. Name doesn't bother me actually . I didn't have any idea that stoner was still making stuff like that .

I just got an obermyer 5 r barrel. I freakin love em.

What did you find that you were loading to oal wise? I load the 69 gr nosler and prob the 55 gr hornady as well once i get started again in 3 gun.

I'm also so far sticking to 748 as powder . i love varget but too costly for 223. ar rounds.

I'll go check out the stoner barrels now.

Thanks Daniel. Name doesn't bother me actually . I didn't have any idea that stoner was still making stuff like that .

I just got an obermyer 5 r barrel. I freakin love em.

What did you find that you were loading to oal wise? I load the 69 gr nosler and prob the 55 gr hornady as well once i get started again in 3 gun.

I'm also so far sticking to 748 as powder . i love varget but too costly for 223. ar rounds.

I'll go check out the stoner barrels now.

I loaded all my 55gr to just where the case mouth was starting into the cannuler (spelling) and 69 was just a hair longer but kept it within Seirra book notes for reliability. I also ran AA 2230 for my 55s and loved 8208 XBR with the 69s. All used Wolf MSRP (the ones for use in 5.56)

Barrel looked and function great w/ M4 feed ramps from factory. I don't think you'd be disappointed especially with the price tag and the best part is they were in stock last week lol

Am waiting for the Ranier Select barrel, 3 months now. Maybe I should go with BHW, but would think they have a back log as well. For me Ranier is a bit cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with the Ranier Select barrels as far as accuracy with good ammo? Have read a bunch the Match and Ultra Match but not the Select.

Thanks,

Mark

Am waiting for the Ranier Select barrel, 3 months now. Maybe I should go with BHW, but would think they have a back log as well. For me Ranier is a bit cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with the Ranier Select barrels as far as accuracy with good ammo? Have read a bunch the Match and Ultra Match but not the Select.

Thanks,

Mark

I waited over 6 months for a Black Hole barrel. It was ordered the end of October. Maybe because it wasn't a real popular contour it took longer than normal, I don't know. Surplus Ammo has some in stock, if they have what you want, get it there.

I snagged one of those ar stoner barrels . after doing some research i found out they were made by er shaw . It had all the specs i wanted, at a decent price. this gun is going to get beat up, thrown around , and abused, so we'll see how it holds up