Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have You Ever Seen This?

DJPoLo

I've seen it, sometimes.

I've seen it at distances up to 20m (I mean the target @ 20 m from firing position).

Most of the times I have seen them, bullets involved were plated bullets where the plating was stripped by the rifling, and a trail of hot lead vapours were following the bullet.

But I have seen those patterns generated by jacketed bullets too (bottom lead exposed), I guess the load was pretty hot and the powder used was a very hot burning one.

It does really look like lead in some form or other... And, well, those things ARE still spinning when they hit..... COOL.

Most of us at the range are shooting very light loads (we're all wooses who'll do anything to make it all easier) and I don't recall seeing anything like this on our targets--even at fairly close range. :huh:

blazers use speer bullets, which are high-end plated bullets.

i have seen it with my 45 and lead bullets, but only at extreme close range.

i will check and see with some brass blazers and try to replicate it

We get that here at every match from 1m to ±15m. It appears to be powder/gas burn marks. We get them on lead as well as CMJ/Coated bullets; 9mm, .40, .45 and .38 Stupid...aahh Super...sorry :P .

My only Q is that these marks always consist only of two"swirls". Anybody can explain that??? ;)