Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW U-Die

I don't know if they are any easier to come by but Lee dies are a tad tighter than other dies plus they sell their version of the Udie if you email and ask for it. The EGW's start life as a LEE.

I don't know if they are any easier to come by but Lee dies are a tad tighter than other dies plus they sell their version of the Udie if you email and ask for it. The EGW's start life as a LEE.

There really is no such thing as a 'EGW U' die.. it's a Lee die that George had a big hand in developing:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23777&page=2#entry285205

EGW sells it, so does Lee

Dave

I think there is a difference. The Egw is turned down so it sizes lower than the LEE udie

It would seem there IS a difference...

Directly from EGW's website (http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersized-reloading-dies/):

Not only is it smaller in diameter, the bottom corner is radiused which sizes the case further down.

Also from the same page:

Why does my die have Lee packaging? Lee Precision, Inc manufacturers the dies to our specifications, meaning these dies are made solely for us. The Lee dies you can buy from other suppliers are not the EGW undersized dies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to break it to you but that is a Standard Lee Die in the picture. There is no room on a Lee Die to take any extra material off. There is barely any extra there. Most people have a HUGE misconception about the Lee Sizing die. It's a great die to begin with. Most people simply do not need a die sized .001" smaller then the standard Lee die. They think that because their Dillon/RCBS/Lyman etc doesn't do a good job that they need some fancy/special die. They should just buy a Lee Sizing die and try that first before they start overworking their brass and making the press run a lot harder for no real gain. I have yet to find a piece of brass my standard Lee 9mm and .40 dies could not properly resize that I actually wanted to use. NEVER.

For .38 super I have an EGW U-die and a Lee U-die.

They are the same dies dimensionally - bore dia. lead-in chamfer, carbide insert length, and they size the brass to the same finished O.D. If there is a difference it must be in materials, because it isn't dimensional.

So, I say get get either one.

My bullets don't move in the case either. I never have chamber issues with a LW barrel or KKM. Sold the LW to someone who used Dillon dies and he could not get it to run. To tight. My Lee dies never had a issue making ammo that worked in that tight barrel.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been checking EGW for these undersize dies and they never seem to have 9mm or 380ACP which I need. When asked they replied they had no idea when they would have them in stock again. As noted Midway shows them backorderable but the date has slid out multi times so far.

I found them just now at Lee Precision and ordered them directly for the same price as EGW.

http://leeprecision.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I am currently using a Lee U Die (40S&W) in station 1 of my 550. It seems to be rough on the press and the handle sticks on the upstroke. I assume its the narrower case stuck on the powder funnel. For this reason I was considering a Redding GRX push through die to use on my single stage press. Does anyone have the same issue with the EGW die? I know they are really Lee dies.

I am currently using a Lee U Die (40S&W) in station 1 of my 550. It seems to be rough on the press and the handle sticks on the upstroke. I assume its the narrower case stuck on the powder funnel. For this reason I was considering a Redding GRX push through die to use on my single stage press. Does anyone have the same issue with the EGW die? I know they are really Lee dies.

The u dies definitely make the press harder to work. If you use case lube--not so hard.