Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

why not a 14.5" barrel?

naim

This is good but you need to do several runs with each rifle and have each shooter switch.

I completely agree. Time was just not on our side last weekend (I am Match Director too, so right after shooting we had to start tearing the match down). I think Nick wants to be more methodical with future testing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the late response but I just got back from the area 1 match.

I shot my 14.5" after Richard and I did our test. And I'm convinced it can do all the things the 18" can do within 600 yds. And I'm saying 600 just because I haven't shot it past that.

As far as splits go. I don't shoot a rifle that fast. (Yet)

I'm gonna try to put it through the real test in a couple of weeks. Ironman here I come!

Edited by naim

Jansen Jones is running a 14.5 inch barrel in some events. If you have long arms-you need a handle or some kind of stop or your fingers will unconsciously stray out too far and get blowed off. I don't think Satan will have a problem with this. Yes he's a GM and a raging shooter, but so what-this is rifle. I think the fit and feel of the rifle is more important. You know like marching forward doing snap shooting drills, down up down up. If you sleep with your gun and practice with it a lot, you'll be good with it. Stock M4's come with a 14.5 inch barrel. That's why SPR and DMR rifles came into being. Good luck with it Satan and take another barrel for the Iron Man. Good luck.

I just put together a rifle that started as a 16" mid length. I cut, rethreaded it, and installed a muzzle brake. Then it got pinned and welded for a total length of 16.25". I was concerned about having enough gas to work the gun, but it seems to run fine with cases ejecting at 3:00 and landing 6' away. After playing at the range yesterday, I've got to say it's a very smooth shooting rifle. I shot it alongside my 18" rifle gas that weighs 1.5# more and I'm not so sure the shorty isn't nicer rifle to shoot. It might just be because it's new, but I'm going to get some trigger time on it over the next month and see.

I recently picked up a daniel defense 14.5" mid legnth lightweight upper, it came pinned from them with their brake. The gun was unshootable. The muzzle dipped violently. At 50 yards the dot would dip from the A zone to below the target

I swapped to a light weight BCG, lightweight buffer, rifle recoil system. Nothing made a difference.

I cut off the brake and swapped to a Miculek and now the rifle is very flat and soft. I was surprised at just how much the brake influenced this gun. Maybe because it is so light at 5.5 lbs.

I also just built a 14.5" upper, since a lot of the matches i shoot have a lot of ports you have to shoot through, that came with a pinned battlecomp. It would jump from the A zone to the head at 25 yds. It was completely unshootable in my opinion. I took the battlecomp off and pin on a sjc titan and now it doesn't move. Very happy since its light in the front so it swings very fast and just says put when you pull the trigger. All my guns are going to have titan comps on them. I'm sold!