Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning intervals

t1nm4n

I have been working on this parts 1911 and decided to pull the ejector out, it was in really tight and literally full of crap. What's a good interval to clean it, I don't want to tear it down after each match. I do a basic teardown, pull the slide and barrel apart and brush it down after each outing, but how often does the ejector and firing pin need to be disassembled? Appreciate the help.

Yeah, forgot, does the carbon build up in the ejector hurt anything as far as reliability? How often should the sear and dis-connector be taken out and wiped down? is it necessary to pull the mainspring housing apart ever? This might be a parts gun but it is a regular shooter, I feel proper maintenance is needed for reliable shooting, I'd rather never be the guy who's gun jams cause of fowling.

I never take the ejector off the frame unless it's broken,just clean it while it's mounted on the frame. I don't really have a set schedule for cleaning the internals of the frame,probably between 2-3k.

I clean my 1911's and 2011's every 2000 rounds. That may sound like a lot but it works fine for me.

I clean out the extractor every other time or at 4000 rounds.

Edited by XD Niner

yeah, I was meaning the extractor, I can't figure out how to remove the pin for the ejector, sorry for the confusion.

The ejector is held in place by a small roll pin. Look for a small hole in the rail area towards the front of the ejector, drift the pin out with a small punch and the ejector should pull out.

As far as cleaning intervals, I go about 1K for a field strip and re-grease and about 5K for a full detail strip.

I was able to find the pin for the ejector, its just wedged in there so tight.

I started thinking about the question more after I asked it, just so many things, it's personal preference, shooting environment, types of bullets and powder. I shoot lead through the gun so I will have to do field strip ever outing I guess, the powder isn't bad quality, but shooting lead I guess it's best to tear it completely down more often them most. appreciate the help, sorry for the confusion in fp.

I've only taken one ejector out and that was only because it fractured and I had to replace it. There is nothing to clean on one except the exterior, which can easily be done with a brush.

I shoot Titegroup powder, which is generally dirty, and either Montana Gold or moly coated lead bullets. I generally take the whole gun apart and clean it every 5,000 rounds. In between, a couple of drops of oil (Royal Purple 85w90 gear lube) on the rails is about all that I do.

Hurley

Royal purple lube, really? I never thought of using a heavy weight gear oil before. It makes sense though, it is designed for high heat gears it should be good on a pistol slide. I'll have to give that a try sometime.