Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Barrel length why?

I haven't shot a three gun match but I'm prepared. I got it all. Including a 22' JM pro. I've been reading all the shotgun threads because I see that the shotgun can be the make it break or it weapon for most matches. I've seen three matches and it's plain to see that the guys that have the shotgun loading down do better. My question is, is barrel length that important and why? I love my shorty JM Pro. I've been shooting trap and skeet with it for practice. I can hit flying birds pretty far out there with full choke with the 22' barrel. I got a 28' ported barrel so it's better for long distance trap and skeet. I also orderd up a new Nordic tube that will give me 13+1 with the 28'. If I understand the rules for tac optics I can start with 8+1 load as many as I can and start the stage as long as the ports are covered. I've read the threads on how to do this.

It seems like the trend is moving towards longer barrels. I also don't understand why a ported barel would move you to open. With a shotty how much difference could ports make? Is it that much of an advantage?

In short what is the difference between a short barrel and a longer one for three gun? Can 6' really be that different?

There's not really much to be gained with just a longer barrel. There is a lot to be gained with greater capacity. With most matches now having no capacity limit after the buzzer 10 and 12 round tubes are becoming the norm. Since many of the more popular guns cost more for the 22" or 24" barreled versions (and they tend to be harder to find) a lot of shooters are picking up 26" barrel guns and running them full length since their replacement magazine tube is sticking that far out anyway.

As for porting, at what point does it become an advantage? A line has to be drawn somewhere and an easy to enforce line is no porting. Myself, I find it funny that adding a little tiny Aimpoint Micro moves it to Open Class, but a 28" barrel and 12 round mag tube is perfectly 'tactical'.

I see your in Alexandria. Swing by Sharpshooters any Monday evening, we're usually talking 3 gun and competition all evening.

Edited by T Bacus

I am a newbie to multigun as well. I just jumped into the deep end and staffed FNH last Sept. Very informative. Of course I competed as well. I had done action pistol and action shotgun all last year so that has helped.

Yes shotgun loading is one of the most crucial aspects of the game. Getting your reload down is critical. You need to plan out the real estate you have on your belt to accommodate all the things you will need in the stage.

Another aspect is the long range rifle targets. I am weak on that. So for me that eats up the most time for me. FNH, last year, had a capacity limit for tac optics. 9 max in the gun. I ran with my KSG. Reloads are slower and not having a choke hurt me a little with the farther steel targets when shooting out of a 18.5" barrel.

I have since gotten a H&R Pardner and choked both the Pardner and KSG.

There's not really much to be gained with just a longer barrel. There is a lot to be gained with greater capacity. With most matches now having no capacity limit after the buzzer 10 and 12 round tubes are becoming the norm. Since many of the more popular guns cost more for the 22" or 24" barreled versions (and they tend to be harder to find) a lot of shooters are picking up 26" barrel guns and running them full length since their replacement magazine tube is sticking that far out anyway.As for porting, at what point does it become an advantage? A line has to be drawn somewhere and an easy to enforce line is no porting. Myself, I find it funny that adding a little tiny Aimpoint Micro moves it to Open Class, but a 28" barrel and 12 round mag tube is perfectly 'tactical'.I see your in Alexandria. Swing by Sharpshooters any Monday evening, we're usually talking 3 gun and competition all evening.

T I'm a member. The first rule about sharpshooters is you don't talk about it. Lol. Mondays I will keep that in mind. Y'all got any uppers in stock?

The first rule of uppers is you don't talk about them! But really, right now stripped uppers are about the most unobtanium part out there. We get lowers from time to time but I haven't seen an upper in three months.

I haven't shot a three gun match but I'm prepared. I got it all. Including a 22' JM pro. I've been reading all the shotgun threads because I see that the shotgun can be the make it break or it weapon for most matches. I've seen three matches and it's plain to see that the guys that have the shotgun loading down do better. My question is, is barrel length that important and why? I love my shorty JM Pro. I've been shooting trap and skeet with it for practice. I can hit flying birds pretty far out there with full choke with the 22' barrel. I got a 28' ported barrel so it's better for long distance trap and skeet. I also orderd up a new Nordic tube that will give me 13+1 with the 28'. If I understand the rules for tac optics I can start with 8+1 load as many as I can and start the stage as long as the ports are covered. I've read the threads on how to do this.

It seems like the trend is moving towards longer barrels. I also don't understand why a ported barel would move you to open. With a shotty how much difference could ports make? Is it that much of an advantage?

In short what is the difference between a short barrel and a longer one for three gun? Can 6' really be that different?

i shoot a 1100 which i have shot for yrs in 3 gun. just add a long tube for the match depending on capcity limits

we shoot a lot of outlaw stuff down in the ft Bragg area and 18 " is better in cars busses and helicopeters. tube can only be 1" longer.

its so run and gun makes little or no difference

jjw

Edited by jjw

Short barrel, long tube. It is ugly but has its advantages! I shoot a 18.5" with a 9+1 and 10+1 (depending on match). Reduce the swing weight with the short barrel. The long aluminum tube doesn't add hardly any weight. The only disadvantage is the moververablity around obsticals in front of you.... And the squad talking behind your back .