Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Instruction

johnhhuber

There are a lot of great resources when it comes to handgun techniques and stage breakdowns out there. All of the ones I have found are either focused on production or limited/open divisions. Now I am not saying I have not and cannot learn a whole lot from these resources because I have and will. But does anyone know of an websites, books or videos that focus directly on the single stack shooter?

I have read Mr Enos's book and as far as I am concerned is it required reading for anyone in the sport. However, I am looking for something specifically centered around single stack techniques and training.

If the only big difference people are doing is reloading more (i.e. every time they move typically) then I feel better about the techniques I have been using in my practice routine. My three main sources are Enos, Stoeger, and Seeklander. I have ordered Kirsch but it is still in the mail.

I shoot Limited and Single Stack and the biggest differences are the size of the magwell opening and the math - round count - between firing positions.

As others have said, with SS, you will likely reload every time you move.

I'll add that SS really emphasizes your accuracy. Not that you shouldn't be accurate in any division, but the time penalty for extra shots is much more costly in SS.

Special technique:

Reload anytime you move. That's all that's different from the others.

+1

It took me months after I switched to limited to break the habit of reaching for a mag every time I started moving during my stage walkthroughs. The corollary to that is have enough mags and pouches. I am up to 5 pouches and 6 mags, and I am happy, although plenty of guys run 6-8 pouches/mags.

I find that shooting single stack keeps me out of my 110% speed mode, and really helps me to focus on breaking down the course efficiently. With a limited gun my stage planning is lacking- I tend to run around as fast as I can and take way too many steps.

Special technique:

Reload anytime you move. That's all that's different from the others.

+1

It took me months after I switched to limited to break the habit of reaching for a mag every time I started moving during my stage walkthroughs. The corollary to that is have enough mags and pouches. I am up to 5 pouches and 6 mags, and I am happy, although plenty of guys run 6-8 pouches/mags.

I find that shooting single stack keeps me out of my 110% speed mode, and really helps me to focus on breaking down the course efficiently. With a limited gun my stage planning is lacking- I tend to run around as fast as I can and take way too many steps.

I was just the opposite. My first COF with a Limited gun, I ran it dry before reloading....lol

• 4 weeks later...

You just need to get a bit more creative in breaking down a stage. For limited I might go 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for targets, reload and shoot 8,9,10,11,12 and 13. Then I watch a SS shooter go 1,2,7,8, reload,3,6,9, reload,4,5,10, reload, 11,12,13 and realize that his plan flowed better because he WAS limited to 8 rounds. Therefore he needed to be more efficient so that he did not get stuck doing a standing reload.