Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USCA - New 2-Gun Leage

So, there is a new 2-Gun league (Rifle & Pistol) called - US Carbine Association (USCA). They are planning on having national classifications and state, area and national championships. Looks like they have web based scoring software. Sounds solid.

Here is their rulebook: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v21nbdk93iv8nxn/i-ObNTs_A2/USCA%20Rulebook%20March%202013.pdf

and

their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/USCarbineAssociation

They have a long way to go with that rules document - just compare it with the IMA or USPSA rule books to see all the stuff they haven't thought about yet. The sport is crying out for more rules alignment and unification, and indeed is making steady progress in this direction (the new USPSA rules are almost identical to IMA rules now). The LAST thing the sport needs is another breakaway organization going in completely the opposite direction. Their penalties are not well thought out (5 seconds for a missed steel!!!), and they seem to be getting very hung up on the tactical aspect which means they will be playing in a fragmented and crowded market (competing directly with ACTS, IDPA etc.).

My advice to them would be to forget about trying to become a grand new governing body. Instead, adopt IMA or USPSA rules wholesale and focus on running rifle-pistol matches (no shotgun), or even rifle-only. I think there would be a significant market for such matches - we always get a strong turnout when we run "no shotgun required" matches.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 4 weeks later...

The USCA looks cool and I'd definitely shoot it (if it came to my area), but....

After reading the rules, it appears the matches are VERY heavily weighted on accuracy over speed.

Even IDPA isn't as strict as USCA with regards to FTNs.

They are updating the rulebook and dropping the -3. Also, to be fair to them, it is primarily a rifle league. Shooting at a target with a red dot glowing on it decreases the complexity of making a "good hit". I shot a USCA match yesterday and it was VERY fast paced. I have never run a rifle that fast. Seriously, I shot my rifle as fast i shot my pistol. It really was a ton of fun. I'd say shoot a match if it makes it to your area and see what it's really like.

I appreciate those out there blazing a trail for us shooters. Giving us options. These are all volunteer sports and I'm thankful they do this.

Edited by mrgreentie

Looks like IDPA with rifle added.

I don't object to any upstarts and trial balloons. Anything that gets more shooters out to the range for organized competition and camraderie is good for the shooting sports. Once guys get the bug there are opportunities to cross polinate and show the pros/cons of 3 Gun, USPSA, etc... as other venues to shoot.

Welcome changes made to the USCA rulebook (mag length, not round count, in key divisions). Check it out![/size]

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/USCA PUBLIC FILES/USCA Rulebook May 2013.pdf?w=AADOI6RcOCpNUSAfHTEhQSSeZHgM9_dVYDqVO6HLIrQdag

I get a Error(403) when I try to click the link above.

Rulebook attached.

Facebook is the best place to keep up with all the updates: https://www.facebook.com/USCarbineAssociation

Also, the first USCA Nationals has been announced: The 2013 Noveske Rifleworks USCA National Championship.

Will be in Florida Nov.15th - 17th. 280+ shooters over 9-stages.

USCA is also putting together a "super squad" with several top 3-Gun competitors you all are very familiar with.

The list of sponsors is just being formed but Noveske, Wilson Combat, Magpul, Bladetech and a few more are already confirmed. The prize table will get better day by day.

It will be formally announced in the next week or so and the site will be updated. Registration is opening mid-June for non-sponsored shooters.

Regarding us being similar to IDPA, I understand the comparison but we don't require a fishing vest :). We don't dictate how you shoot all stages (We limit the % of stages that can have "narratives") The closest thing to IDPA is the scoring. Which some would leans more towards accuracy over speed but it is a rifle league and a red dot helps.

USCA Rulebook May 2013.pdf

Edited by mrgreentie

• 1 month later...

quick question, I was trying to decide which class to run. I only have a single stack .45 for a pistol, so I really would be limited to 10rds. my question would be on LimCap - rifle. I have a bunch of 20 and 30 rd mags. can I run those, but only loaded to 10 rnds, or do i have to be using 10 rd mags. would hate to have to guy and buy a bunch of 10 rd mags when I am covered up with 20s and 30s. its either that or run TacOps. thanks for the info

I looked at the rules. Lost interest when I read five different kinds of reloads. Really?

Just because there are 5 reloads listed doesn't mean you'll encounter them at every match. I've shot at least 16 USCA matches since March 17th 2013 and only had three types of reloads: reloads when i wanted to reload, reloads where i run the gun dry and tac reloads. I only tac reloaded on 3 stages across all those matches and used a maglink/coupler to perform the reload, which is legal, and it didnt even hurt a bit.

Looks like a great way to forget about that horrible device called a shotgun! Hopefully some of the matches will make their way down to central Texas. I've been looking for a good excuse to work on my sling movement.

They're running USCA matches in Dallas and one will soon be running in Houston.

quick question, I was trying to decide which class to run. I only have a single stack .45 for a pistol, so I really would be limited to 10rds. my question would be on LimCap - rifle. I have a bunch of 20 and 30 rd mags. can I run those, but only loaded to 10 rnds, or do i have to be using 10 rd mags. would hate to have to guy and buy a bunch of 10 rd mags when I am covered up with 20s and 30s. its either that or run TacOps. thanks for the info

You can load to 10 rounds, in your rifle mags, even if the mag has a higher capacity. Similar to USPSA Production Division where you can only load 10+1 in a mag and your mag can hold more than that.

If I were you i'd run Tac Ops. Handgun round counts are typically low and you'd be able to run up to 30+1 in your rifle.