Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on performing Dillon 550 Maintenance schedule

salemsm

Per the 550 Instruction Manual:

Use 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft and bearing grease on the pivot pins.

Periodically wipe the primer slide with rubbing alcohol. This removes the spent primer residue that causes the slide to drag.

Clean your powder bar about every 500 rounds. Some powders build up and will eventually stick the powder bar. Paint thinner, acetone or lacquer thinner works well to remove any buildup

Other than cleaning the powder bar, the manual doesn’t say how often to clean the primer slide or greasing the main shaft/pivot pins.

When do current owners of the 550 perform periodic maintenance?

Are there any other PM tasks to perform to keep your Dillon in tip-top shape?

The biggest thing I learned about cleaning any Dillon press is to leave it alone unless it starts showing signs of needing cleaned. Once I get mine running perfectly I don't touch it. The press will tell you when it needs torn down and cleaned.

The biggest thing I learned about cleaning any Dillon press is to leave it alone unless it starts showing signs of needing cleaned. Once I get mine running perfectly I don't touch it. The press will tell you when it needs torn down and cleaned.

Bingo!

Think my RL550 just told me to service it ???

7Jngmcg.jpg

Bingo!

7Jngmcg.jpg

Horrible timing!!!! Hope you have some rounds in reserve that all already made up.

Good luck and hope that Dillon will be able to help you out quickly.

Bingo!

7Jngmcg.jpg

Yur an animal!

Pat

Bingo!

7Jngmcg.jpg

Yur an animal!

Pat

I have to proudly say that this press is 22 years old, same one my dad taught me how to load and has given many years of service.

Dillon says materials are different and already shipped back the complete unit with RMA.

Fortunately, I have a 2nd 550, so we are still good to go!

Bingo!

7Jngmcg.jpg

If ever there was an argument for using case lube....